Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 7:08:37 PM EDT
I'm flying down to NOLA in early November to visit a friend who lives in the Baton Rouge area for a long weekend (down on Thursday afternoon, back on Sunday afternoon). We're planning on splitting our time between BR & NOLA. Friend shoots, too, and we will definitely be going shooting. She and her hubby have a lot of toys, so I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of stuff, as I'm in the market. Other plans are for a private history tour of NOLA with someone she knows, as well as a visit to the World War II museum.

I was down in NOLA about 16 years ago for a friend's wedding in Jackson Square. It was Labor Day weekend and so hot/humid that I was sick from the heat, spending a lot of time in the hotel room, so I didn't see a lot.

I definitely want to see St. Louis Cathedral and just walk around the French Quarter some.

Another friend who lived down in NOLA for a short time 30 years ago remembered there is a plantation open for tours on the river road between NOLA & Baton Rouge, but didn't have the name or location. Do you know which this might be?

My friend said to make a "bucket list" of what I'd like to do. I don't really know. Give me some ideas to research! Thank you!

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Riot?    Oh, wait....
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
What ever you do I suggest either going into NOLA in a group or carrying some sort of personal protection, I'm born and raised there and just giving you some friendly advice. Depending on a multitude of factors, I hate to say the climate should be a lil more conducive but around here if you don't like the weather just wait an hour and it will change. Best to go with some locals, don't go for the tourist traps....
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Throw beads, see tig ole bitties, get hammered to hell, get groped by drunk women. Have wife rescue you, start fucked up threads on ARF
That's what  I did.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave- that's the nastiest city I have ever been to- NOLA that is
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to LSU in Baton Rouge. The campus is actually really nice, all the really old oaks. And of course the stadium is cool, with Mike the Tiger's habitat next door.

Its pretty cool to check out the battleship downtown also. The USS Kidd is perma-docked there, just walk across the bridge that goes over the levy.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch out you don't get killed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
There Is lots of good food and bars if you stay out of the touristy areas.  You have to at least get on hand grenade and then leave bourbon st.  Go to the dungeon after 2am ( lots of weird shit) there are two bars across from pat obrians on the St. Peter st side called finigans easy and boondocks saints.  If you like good food go to restaurant revolution on bienville st.  Just remember New Orleans can be lots of fun, but f you have to much in the wrong places you can get rolled or worse, stay off un lite streets, travel in groups and pay attention to your surroundings.  You can have all the fun you want before midnight and be in bed for the next day, unless you're going to the dungeon which is a super small bar down a small path on Toulouse st and you will know it when you see it.  If. You like jazz check out Frenchman st after dark and there are incredible musicians there, just be careful since you will be close to the 7th ward, the place where the Mother's Day shootings were a few months back.  If you want to get on a steamship that will kill like two hours there is the Natchez but the calypso music might drive you to kill random people.  Stay out of the jax brewery it's not one and pushes stuff that won't sell in the tourist traps.  Go on a swamp tour, I have used airboat adventures in lafitte, la it's super cool and you see tons of gators.  Also go on one of the cemetary  tours to St. Louis #1 or just walk through one its worth the effort to go.  Defiantly go to the WWII museum and do the full package with IMAX
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
stop by red jacket arms and say Hi! from all of us , If you can dream it they can order the parts and have Chris put it together for $9,000.99
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Get up early and walk to Cafe du Monde. Get beignets and a cafe au lait. Carry it to the top of the levy. Sit on a bench and watch the mighty Mississippi roll by while you get powdered sugar all over you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went to LSU in Baton Rouge. The campus is actually really nice, all the really old oaks. And of course the stadium is cool, with Mike the Tiger's habitat next door.

Its pretty cool to check out the battleship downtown also. The USS Kidd is perma-docked there, just walk across the bridge that goes over the levy.

http://soulofamerica.com/soagalleries/baton-rouge/famattr/BR-USS_Kidd_battleship.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-pQhkXPvSU/TMA33Or-ioI/AAAAAAAAAsM/fPLCj2gfyFk/s1600/750px-Baton_Rouge_Louisiana_waterfront_aerial_view.jpg
View Quote

It's not a battleship. It's a Fletch class destroyer. It's also not a tax, it's a levee.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What ever you do I suggest either going into NOLA in a group or carrying some sort of personal protection, I'm born and raised there and just giving you some friendly advice. Depending on a multitude of factors, I hate to say the climate should be a lil more conducive but around here if you don't like the weather just wait an hour and it will change. Best to go with some locals, don't go for the tourist traps....
View Quote

My friend is a Louisiana native and spends a lot of time down in NOLA. Both she and her husband (also a native) carry. I lived in Chicago long enough to know to not go wandering around on my own in areas I don't know.

I live in IL. I can't carry - yet, and don't have an out of state permit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]
meth
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Leave
View Quote

NOLA
WWII museum
Cafe du Monde
Leave

Baton Rouge
Go to the state capital and check out the bullet marks in the walls where Huey Long was killed
Leave
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get up early and walk to Cafe du Monde. Get beignets and a cafe au lait. Carry it to the top of the levy. Sit on a bench and watch the mighty Mississippi roll by while you get powdered sugar all over you.
View Quote

Too true, just go back from vacation there and we did Cafe du Monde the first night. They have to go through something like a boxcar of powdered sugar in a days time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Be sure to get you some duck gumbo.  It'll be in season and it's good stuff.  Oyster po boys.  Check out Tony's.  It's in a really bad area, but they have security guards in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Too bad LSU is playing away at Alabama in early Nov or you could go out to LSU and tailgate all day and get fed the best food you will ever eat, all for free.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Find good food, WW2 museum, Cafe Du Monde, leave.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not a battleship. It's a Fletch class destroyer. It's also not a tax, it's a levee.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://soulofamerica.com/soagalleries/baton-rouge/famattr/BR-USS_Kidd_battleship.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-pQhkXPvSU/TMA33Or-ioI/AAAAAAAAAsM/fPLCj2gfyFk/s1600/750px-Baton_Rouge_Louisiana_waterfront_aerial_view.jpg

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top