Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2013 10:18:30 AM EDT
I have a great boss.  He's younger than me, already bald, and the calmest man I've ever met.  We had a van full trying to get onto Fort Hood, and didn't have the correctly worded memo.  The JBTs wouldn't call their supes, wouldn't let us stay.  He managed to talk us through walking across the gate, & got us on the PX run, where I would've been in cuffs.

Tell your great boss stories.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this a trick question ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
When they leave me the hell alone!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My boss is a friend and a boss.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My Boss Is A Great Guy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My boss is AWESOME . . .

Wait thats ME
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
My boss is actually awesome.

In turn, I try and be an awesome boss to my guys.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I did
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the joy of working for a great guy that I consider a friend. I respect and look up to him. He manages exceptionally well, is very patient, and does not hesitate to reward hard work.

I think guys who manage this way wind up with harder working employees who perform higher quality work overall.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#10]
In my industry a boss that doesn't actively try to fuck you or throw you under the bus is a "good" boss. There aren't many of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely not. My boss is the CEO.

When I first started to work for him? Sure. Company was 1/3 the size it is now (I had a MAJOR hand in that one....), Guy was very nice and receiving of any input and put words into action. He showed his employees he respected them and treated them VERY much as such. I built tons of relationships with our customers and have many that are by me more than the company I work for.

Now? He's an absolute asshole who isn't at work but 2 days a week, trusts no one, treats his employees like shit and expects them to work for free (literally - free... as in work 16+ hours overtime free and if you don't you're fired).

Almost all of the intelligent people have left the place and it's barely working along anymore. Customers are pissed, money isn't coming in because we're sales  (who can't sell / quote a job for shit) and management heavy compared to those who actually do work. To top it all off is his open stated intention to build the company into selling it 5 to 10 years down the road (and promising verbally everyone a piece of the pie ).

So is my boss great? No. However he is good at one thing - he taught, no, reinforced in me how NOT to run a business. Because of that I'm more confident than ever that I can strike out on my own, do better than him, and hey, who knows, maybe put him out of business.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
my boss is great. i see him in the mirror in the morning while he brushes his teeth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I make my boss a lot of money and he gives me a percentage of it. The more he makes, the more I make — it's beautiful. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money. Mission accomplished! I may not be fun to my subordinates, but I'm fair.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In my industry a boss that doesn't actively try to fuck you or throw you under the bus is a "good" boss. There aren't many of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Fixed for my situation.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#16]
No.  My ex boss sucked big time.  Fooled a lot of people.....used to be a member here too!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The one I have now is likely the worst I've ever had.  Never worked in my area before but knows how to run it better than people that have worked in it for twenty years.  If someone or something pisses him off, he finds some nitpicky thing that's his new "pet peeve" , then insults his crew before working the crap out of us.  Then he gets in a good mood and wants to be buddy buddy again until the next tantrum.  Four or five people have commented that if the son of a bitch got killed on the way to work they would not shed a tear for him.  I don't typically wish people any bad luck, but if this happened the workplace would likely improve.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup.  Im self employed.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
My boss has been a friend of mine for years. He introduces me like this: "Leisure_Shoot and I have known each other for 20 years. He's like the brother I never had."

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
No, fucking weak.
Not just tolerates ass kissing, but encourages it.
Doesn't grasp the idea that it is corrosive to morale.
Buying a powerball ticket because throwing this job in his face would soooo fun if I win.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. Absolutely do.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#22]
My boss is a nice guy and easy enough to work for but he's also one of the laziest people I know.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Yes.

My manager is a former College QB at a D1 school.  Severely damaged his knee so could not play in the NFL.  But is pretty down to earth and a 'what you see is what you get' kind of guy.

I have worked for him since 2006 and he is a major reason I have not left for another company.

Prior to that I worked for a serious dick so I know the value of a good boss.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I make my boss a lot of money and he gives me a percentage of it. The more he makes, the more I make — it's beautiful. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money. Mission accomplished! I may not be fun to my subordinates, but I'm fair.
View Quote

This. I'm a part owner in the company now but was paid based on profit margins even before that.

He stays out of my hair and lets me do as I please. He has been that way since I first started here as a welder. I've known him since I was 13 and i'm 25 now.

He comes in about 5 hours a week on his way through town to sign checks and that's about it. I have a great job and a great boss.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#26]
no
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine leaves me alone and lets me do my thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#28]
My boss is awesome. I only see him maybe a day or two a week, and he really doesn't bug me at all. A little bullshitting and we are on our seperate ways. It really helps that I work in the field though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  We usually catch up once a week or so and I can contact him when I need anything.  Other than that he leaves me alone and lets me do my job.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Honestly, I've probably got the best boss you could ask for.  He lets you do your thing and doesn't ride you, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder either.

Working under some shitty management in the past I realize how grateful you should be if you do have a good boss.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I am the boss and think I'm greaaaaaat!

Smart, witty, trustworthy, caring, compassionate, and above all extremely HUMBLE  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
She is pretty good for a woman and once upon a time I said I would NEVER work for a woman again.

Never say never.

I think she keeps me around cause I'm always armed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Thread is a tarp

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#35]
right now, no.
i have had 11 bosses during my current job of 28 years.  in this time i have had;
1 great boss (and it was a she)
4 good bosses
2 ok bosses
4 not so good bosses including my current boss

there are many different ways to define greatness.  most had some great qualities and very few aspired to true greatness and inspired me and my team.

it has been awhile since I have had even a good boss.  i am a senior tech and i lead a very good crew.  upper management uses us as a training opportunity to teach new managers how to manage.  the risk to the business is low as we will give them transparent feedback to ensure they will not make a bad decision and fail.

some have gone on to do great things
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
My boss is awesome.

He is a master of his craft
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#37]
My current boss is the best boss I've ever had.  He's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Absolutely not. My boss is the CEO.

When I first started to work for him? Sure. Company was 1/3 the size it is now (I had a MAJOR hand in that one....), Guy was very nice and receiving of any input and put words into action. He showed his employees he respected them and treated them VERY much as such. I built tons of relationships with our customers and have many that are by me more than the company I work for.

Now? He's an absolute asshole who isn't at work but 2 days a week, trusts no one, treats his employees like shit and expects them to work for free (literally - free... as in work 16+ hours overtime free and if you don't you're fired).

Almost all of the intelligent people have left the place and it's barely working along anymore. Customers are pissed, money isn't coming in because we're sales  (who can't sell / quote a job for shit) and management heavy compared to those who actually do work. To top it all off is his open stated intention to build the company into selling it 5 to 10 years down the road (and promising verbally everyone a piece of the pie ).

So is my boss great? No. However he is good at one thing - he taught, no, reinforced in me how NOT to run a business. Because of that I'm more confident than ever that I can strike out on my own, do better than him, and hey, who knows, maybe put him out of business.  
View Quote

You sure we dont work at the same company?  Except my CEO is there 7 days a week, 12-14 hrs a day.  Work 3-4 hrs over who cares, take 5 mins more for lunch or come in 5 mins later, youre the worst employee there.

I m worried its about to catch up with him, most of the old employees are gone.  The new employees dont take his shit and quit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my boss so much, I've given him handjobs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, he's great.
He is so busy our phone conversations rarely last more than a minute, in person-about 5 minutes max.
He leaves me and the other old guy I work with completely alone to do whatever it takes to fix things.
We make a game out of it to see how long we can go and not talk to him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't, but my employees do.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Real good immediate boss now.  He's former Air Force officer and had lots of experience with new recruits so that mellowed him out a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm the owner and operator of my company. I'm not sure if my guys like me. The few I have left are overworked, underpaid, and operate in the worst conditions and circumstances known to my industry. I kick them the raises, bonuses, and payed time off I can afford. I try to give a fair days pay for a fair days work. These few keep showing up and have been here since I started the company. I'd be in a problem if they left. I think it's the same the other way. So I'm unsure if they like me, or are stuck with me. Rats on the same ship. Right?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, but he retires in a week.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Great Boss.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Not only do I have  great boss but the company is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#48]
My boss is the CFO and general manager of our location, his boss is the owner of the company.

He's a good guy, always been fair and reasonable. When I first started working here I knew the technical aspect of my job very well, but I had not developed the inter-personal skills that I needed. He taught me that part of my job, and I think I'm a better person because of it.

Of course, we don't always agree on everything. He's the boss so ultimately what he says goes. Unlike most other people I've worked for, he asks for my input and actually values it. Usually he let's me do things the way that I want to, but when he doesn't, he's not a prick about it. I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#49]
nope
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#50]
yes my boss is great

bought me tires for being a good employee
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top