Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 5:44:46 AM EDT

When I was a kid we said the Pledge every single day at the beginning of school. Never thought much about it or the reason behind it. Now in my advance age I have come to the conclusion that it was a bit weird. How many times did one have to say it before "they" believed you? It would be the same thing as the mil. getting in formation every morning and repeating their oath.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy but what other than tradition is behind saying the Pledge constantly? Whose idea was it? Were "they" worried that the children would revolt or something?  Same goes for the National Anthem before every event. It's a car race or a sporting event not some political rally. Just curious what others think.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
'Murica
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The right to assemble, in a classroom, in a meeting, at a sporting event or ceremony, is not a right that is granted to people in many other nations.

We acknowledge our country and  the rights and protections we enjoy as Americans at the beginning of any assembly.

So your problem is.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The right to assemble, in a classroom, in a meeting, at a sporting event or ceremony, is not a right that is granted to people in many other nations.

We acknowledge our country and  the rights and protections we enjoy as Americans at the beginning of any assembly.

So your problem is.....
View Quote

Wow,  What a load of doublespeak.

What country doesn't allow people to pledge allegiance... to it?

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
i think he is trying to say we say the pledge as a reminder of the freedoms we have so we don't take them for granted
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When I was a kid we said the Pledge every single day at the beginning of school. Never thought much about it or the reason behind it. Now in my advance age I have come to the conclusion that it was a bit weird. How many times did one have to say it before "they" believed you? It would be the same thing as the mil. getting in formation every morning and repeating their oath.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy but what other than tradition is behind saying the Pledge constantly? Whose idea was it? Were "they" worried that the children would revolt or something?  Same goes for the National Anthem before every event. It's a car race or a sporting event not some political rally. Just curious what others think.
View Quote
You were educated in a system that, at its heart, was designed, not to create free thinking independent citizens of a republic, but drones with a

trade who could get a job, pay taxes, and not create too much of a fuss for our "elites".
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your problem is.....

Have you been drinking?   Your reply is uncharacteristically off base.

The OP asked why we say the pledge so often.

We say it at the beginning of every assembly to remind us of the protections we enjoy as Americans.
Many people around the world are oppressed by their governments and do not have the right to free assembly, so the OP should rethink that the (US) pledge or national anthem  is rote and redundant.

Pretty straight forward
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Come to think of it , it was a bit weird , doing it EVERY morning at school. The words that stick in my mind most ,'with liberty and justice for all'.

I also remember the few kids who DID NOT recite , still had to stand up anyway , and they were looked down upon.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
People will not realize how special a country we had here until it is completely destroyed. Traditions are one of the things that keep a country great.....not all traditions of course, but when we look back and tell our grandkids about what our country was, we will remember the traditions that mattered.

My grandmother went to college to become a teacher. I got recruited to go to the same college to play basketball. After my freshman year, at a family gathering, my grandmother asked me if all the students on campus got together each morning to say the pledge out in the common area. People even "got dressed up for it".....I looked at her in disbelief and told her no. She looked crushed for a moment then the conversation went on.

This was not a religious institution by any means, just a typical state college. Thinking back about it now, what a great thing to do. Hundreds of kids with the same mind set each morning getting up to pledge to their country.

The fact that it is "unthinkable" today says a lot about where we are.

"It isn't just any one thing......it is the dismal tide."
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The whole thing is weird.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#10]
the pledge is mindless drone babble for immigrants and school children
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
People will not realize how special a country we had here until it is completely destroyed. Traditions are one of the things that keep a country great.....not all traditions of course, but when we look back and tell our grandkids about what our country was, we will remember the traditions that mattered.

My grandmother went to college to become a teacher. I got recruited to go to the same college to play basketball. After my freshman year, at a family gathering, my grandmother asked me if all the students on campus got together each morning to say the pledge out in the common area. People even "got dressed up for it".....I looked at her in disbelief and told her no. She looked crushed for a moment then the conversation went on.

This was not a religious institution by any means, just a typical state college. Thinking back about it now, what a great thing to do. Hundreds of kids with the same mind set each morning getting up to pledge to their country.

View Quote

The North Koreans just put on a helluva parade.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The .mil DOES get together every morning and 'repeat their oath.'

It's called Colors, and it's very important.

Before we talk about why recite the pledge, let's begin with asking why we hang a flag in a classroom.

For that matter, why hang a flag anywhere, and by extension, why even have a flag at all?  What's the point?

It's a symbol, of course, but a common one, and one with a very profound meaning.  Unlike many other countries, the American Flag symbolizes ideas, not reality.  Yes, there is history in it, but it is not about history.  Yes, there is tradition in it, but it is not about tradition.

Fundamentally, the American Flag symbolizes the idea of, to borrow a phrase, liberty and justice for all.  This is a very powerful idea, and of course it's an idea.  It's not true, nor has it ever been.

But it could be.

And that we want it to be, and that we work towards that common goal, is more important than almost anything else we can do with our lives.

We say the pledge because we believe that the flag is a symbol of an idea that is the best model for humanity that the world has ever known.  The ideas of liberty and self-governance are vitally important to everything we do as a nation.  We need only look at what happens when we ignore those ideas to know how important they are.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, like I said, we were kids and pretty much said it without understanding kinda like the Lord's Prayer for most people. We just did it by rote even though we loved our country as much as any elementary school kid could. I don't even know if they say the Pledge in public schools anymore and that would be a shame but it does seem a bit weird in retrospect. For some it would be akin to singing a daily song to the Dear Leader.

Those kids who didn't say the Pledge were probably Jehovah Witnesses. My parents told me to treat them with respect. Those kids probably had been taught something they didn't fully understand either.......
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Before we talk about why recite the pledge, let's begin with asking why we hang a flag in a classroom.

For that matter, why hang a flag anywhere, and by extension, why even have a flag at all?  What's the point?

It's a symbol, of course, but a common one, and one with a very profound meaning.  Unlike many other countries, the American Flag symbolizes ideas, not reality.  Yes, there is history in it, but it is not about history.  Yes, there is tradition in it, but it is not about tradition.

Fundamentally, the American Flag symbolizes the idea of, to borrow a phrase, liberty and justice for all.  This is a very powerful idea, and of course it's an idea.  It's not true, nor has it ever been.

But it could be.

And that we want it to be, and that we work towards that common goal, is more important than almost anything else we can do with our lives.

We say the pledge because we believe that the flag is a symbol of an idea that is the best model for humanity that the world has ever known.  The ideas of liberty and self-governance are vitally important to everything we do as a nation.  We need only look at what happens when we ignore those ideas to know how important they are.
View Quote

Well said and that should be explained to the kids.........
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Just like teaching little kids to be commies.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We say it at the beginning of every assembly to remind us of the protections we enjoy as Americans.

Many people around the world are oppressed by their governments and do not have the right to free assembly, so the OP should rethink that the (US) pledge or national anthem  is rote and redundant.

Pretty straight forward

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your problem is.....

Pretty straight forward

We have that?

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But it could be.

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was in school assembly was mandatory.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know what's weird? The flag.  Think about it.  what sense does it make to have a state equal a star.  Besides, have you ever actually looked at a star?  It doesn't have five points it is a giant ball of burning gasses.  It's like the flag is trying to trick us into some bizarre cult.  Mind you I am a patriot and all, but damn I get nervous when I see all these flags around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You know what's weird? The flag.  Think about it.  what sense does it make to have a state equal a star.  Besides, have you ever actually looked at a star?  It doesn't have five points it is a giant ball of burning gasses.  It's like the flag is trying to trick us into some bizarre cult.  Mind you I am a patriot and all, but damn I get nervous when I see all these flags around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was brainwashed as a kid but not that bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#22]
It's a creepy nursery rhyme.  That's all it is anymore.  

They flogged it to death in schools.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.....you are so enlightened. If you can not tell the difference between what I described and a brutal communist government.....then you have proven my point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Right.....you are so enlightened. If you can not tell the difference between what I described and a brutal communist government.....then you have proven my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What point would that be?  How glorious it is when hundreds of kids with the same mindset assemble together to pledge to their country, all in the name of tradition?

What specifically did you say, anywhere in that post, that distinguished one from another?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Good Lord!  And most people associate gun owners with having some elevated degree of patriotism. It's easy enough to see after reading some of the replies here why we are going down the shitter so fast and hard, America, and her traditions, is a fucking quaint little joke to a lot of you, isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#26]
It's like parent spanking their kids, paddling in schools, two parent families, prayer. When you do away with it, look what happens to your country.

You can deny it all you want, but it's been downhill since the traditional conservative ways were brought down by the libtards and others who only care for themselves.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good Lord!  And most people associate gun owners with having some elevated degree of patriotism. It's easy enough to see after reading some of the replies here why we are going down the shitter so fast and hard, America, and her traditions, is a fucking quaint little joke to a lot of you, isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The outright contradictions and incompatible ideologies people insist are "conservative" are a joke to me - especially when people don't acknowledge the contradictions.

Here, we have a thread where people lament the loss of the era when "government schools" dictated a single nationwide standard of behavior involving an oath championing the indivisibility of the American Republic.

In another thread, in another context, suggesting anything like that will get you called a flaming Libtard.

Yes, the whole thing is a joke.

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. The Party intellectual knows in which direction his memories must be altered; he therefore knows that he is playing tricks with reality; but by the exercise of doublethink he also satisfies himself that reality is not violated. The process has to be conscious, or it would not be carried out with sufficient precision, but it also has to be unconscious, or it would bring with it a feeling of falsity and hence of guilt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#28]

If I had a kid in that class I would go absolutley fucking ballasitic on that teacher and that school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#29]
After about second grade I had said it so many times that it really lost any meaning to me, and I was just a half asleep drone repeating something without giving it a single thought.

Force any kid to do something again and again and again and eventually the meaning is lost.  Then when I grew up and it wasn't a forced part of my daily life, the meaning came back.  Imagine that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]
two legs baaad
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm as patriotic as the next guy but what other than tradition is behind saying the Pledge constantly? Whose idea was it? Were "they" worried that the children would revolt or something?  
View Quote

Francis Bellamy. Indoctrinating kids with socialist ideals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Bellamy

and before hand on the heart, this was the proper salute:

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The outright contradictions and incompatible ideologies people insist are "conservative" are a joke to me - especially when people don't acknowledge the contradictions.

Here, we have a thread where people lament the era when "government schools" dictated a single nationwide standard of behavior involving an oath championing the indivisibility of the American Republic.

In another thread, in another context, suggesting anything like that will get you called a flaming Libtard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here, we have a thread where people lament the era when "government schools" dictated a single nationwide standard of behavior involving an oath championing the indivisibility of the American Republic.

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. The Party intellectual knows in which direction his memories must be altered; he therefore knows that he is playing tricks with reality; but by the exercise of doublethink he also satisfies himself that reality is not violated. The process has to be conscious, or it would not be carried out with sufficient precision, but it also has to be unconscious, or it would bring with it a feeling of falsity and hence of guilt.

I'm not a fan of either government schools or the Pledge of Allegiance.

The author of the pledge wrote it to inculcate national unity.   He despised State divisions.   And he was a fabian socialist.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#33]
We recited the Pledge and the Lord's Prayer every morning before school started.

I don't think it's weird at all.  Part of school is shaping the minds of the citizenry.  The only issue I have is the way our children are being shaped these days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your problem is.....

Or assemble in a classroom, meeting, or a sporting event. In less free countries, it is not only a right but compulsory.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#35]
How about kids learn something like this pledge too...

I pledge to get a job and not leech off others
If I can't pay my bills, I'll get a 2nd job
I won't infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of others
Or try to impede their right to hunt
Thank God I live in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If I had a kid in that class I would go absolutley fucking ballasitic on that teacher and that school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

These are likely the same teachers who complain they "don't have time" to teach certain things, and that every little attempt at real reform cuts into this precious little time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#37]
And so, grunting advances at a furious pace.  All hail the tribe!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top