Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 8:53:03 PM EDT
Joint filers are jointly responsible for penalty.

(some background; if you do not carry insurance, you will pay a penalty.  Read below about what happens to joint filers when one doesn't carry insurance.)

Ralph and Mary, both age 30, are married and file a joint income tax return. They live and work in Topeka, Kansas. Ralph has minimum essential coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored health insurance plan, but Mary does not have any health insurance coverage. Both are nonexempt individuals (i.e., they do not qualify for any exemptions). Since Mary does not maintain minimum essential coverage, both Ralph and Mary are responsible for Mary's shared responsibility penalty.

So, when you file that joint return with your wife, and she doesn't want to carry coverage because she is young and knows her risk is low, she will still get a penalty.  Both of you are responsible to pay it.  

ETA:  If you claim a dependent, you have to provide insurance for the him, too.  If you don't, you pay a penalty.  Claiming a dependency exemption is a "facts and circumstances" type of arrangement.  That means, if you meet the criteria, you claim him, he cannot claim himself.  Under the current rules, if you choose to not claim him, he still is not allowed to claim his own exemption.  Hence, YOU will still be required to pay the insurance cost of your kid or you will pay a penalty, if the kid is a dependent, under the criteria of the code.  I can imagine all of the parents that don't want to pay will disavow the dependency exemption, and the son that doesn't want to pay either will not want to claim it, as well, to avoid having to pay extra tax.  There will be much auditing in this area.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
And yet the GOP cannot convey these points to the public.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
As I go thru the "guidance" for consulting purposes, I cringe every time I read "regulations have not yet been issued for the law that was put in effect in 2010.

What?  They've had all this time and they can't publish guidance.  I was reading tonight about the potential conflict of the ERISA, IRC, and the PHSA rules.  The PHSA rules are preeminent when the other rules contradict.

This bill is a real clusterf&*@.  I know that people have been saying "it's a disaster" but the more I read the guidance about the implementation I realize that the ACA is a completed abortion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT COMPLY.  

This is NO different than complying with gun control.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Joint filers are jointly responsible for penalty.

(some background; if you do not carry insurance, you will pay a penalty.  Read below about what happens to joint filers when one doesn't carry insurance.)

Ralph and Mary, both age 30, are married and file a joint income tax return. They live and work in Topeka, Kansas. Ralph has minimum essential coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored health insurance plan, but Mary does not have any health insurance coverage. Both are nonexempt individuals (i.e., they do not qualify for any exemptions). Since Mary does not maintain minimum essential coverage, both Ralph and Mary are responsible for Mary's shared responsibility penalty.

So, when you file that joint return with your wife, and she doesn't want to carry coverage because she is young and knows her risk is low, she will still get a penalty.  Both of you are responsible to pay it.  

ETA:  If you claim a dependent, you have to provide insurance for the him, too.  If you don't, you pay a penalty.  Claiming a dependency exemption is a "facts and circumstances" type of arrangement.  That means, if you meet the criteria, you claim him, he cannot claim himself.  Under the current rules, if you choose to not claim him, he still is not allowed to claim his own exemption.  Hence, YOU will still be required to pay the insurance cost of your kid or you will pay a penalty, if the kid is a dependent, under the criteria of the code.  I can imagine all of the parents that don't want to pay will disavow the dependency exemption, and the son that doesn't want to pay either will not want to claim it, as well, to avoid having to pay extra tax.  There will be much auditing in this area.
View Quote

Joint filers are always jointly liable for all information in their tax returns. The only exception is a so called "innocent spouse" defense which does not apply to the insurance mandate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And yet the GOP  MSM cannot   won't convey these points to the public.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I just talked to my insurance guy and my rates are going up about $2,000.00 and that willget me the Bronze coverage, which is the worst coverage there is.  

Here is the calculator to see what you are going to be paying:   http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

I think I'll start a thread with this calculator...
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
And in 10 years the GOP will outdefend Democrats on Obamacare to avoid  being painted with the child/senior citizen killer labels.

Obama care will do for Democrats what Social Security did 70 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And in 10 years the GOP will outdefend Democrats on Obamacare to avoid being painted with the child/senior citizen killer labels.

View Quote

If the GOP loses next year they will be as dead as the dodo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And in 10 years the GOP will outdefend Democrats on Obamacare to avoid being painted with the child/senior citizen killer labels.

The GOP is trying real hard to fuck themselves, well at least with the MSM help. Look at the Christie-Paul squabble from a few days ago.

IF Christie gets the nomination many R's will just not vote, not only for president but for the house and senate. The R's need someone other than Boner and McConnell in charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top