Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 4:40:10 AM EDT
anyone ever play with these?
I already load .308 but I figured I'd try one for shits and giggles.
I also loaded the full set of dippers. (figured I'd try them)
this is what happens when you have amazon prime...

How the hell do these dippers work anyway? the chart tells you what dipper to use for a specific load, but it's just assuming that's the only charge you will want to use...
not to mention the loaders (and their dies) only come with one dipper, as if it's safe to use the exact same charge with every load possible in that caliber.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The dippers are really handy, you can pick a dipper that throws the charge you want or slightly more, pour most of the powder into the pan on the scale, then trickle the last few kernels in. Makes it really easy to measure powder charges, if you do that.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I do the same thing and use the dipper for throwing the bulk of the charge into the scale, then use the trickler.  Even if the load I'm making uses less than the dipper volume, I get pretty good at eyeballing 3/4 full, etc., then finishing up with the trickler.  After a while I start getting so I can eyeball the amount in the dipper close to perfectly then hardly having to finish up with the trickler if at all.  

Yes, the correct dipper will limit you to one charge weight that is within the safe powder range for that cartridge.  I've never actually sat down and measured how precise you can get the powder charge weights just using the dipper.  I would imagine they're not precise enough for making match loads.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one for .223 that I bought at the start of the panic...

I have brass, I have boolits... no primers or powder though
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one for .223 that I bought at the start of the panic...

I have brass, I have boolits... no primers or powder though
View Quote

I would have gotten the .223 but my only .223 is an AR and these don't full length resize.
neck sizing is good for bolt guns, not for semi auto's
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one for my .45-70 Sharps that I have used and it works great. I have the full set of dippers for mine. I use a hand primer instead of the Lee Loader for seating the primers. While I have never had it happen to me, I have heard of primers going off during the seating process. I always wore my safety glasses during the loading process just in case.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used them.  They actually work pretty well, just extrremely slow.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Dad used those when I was little but not for long. Presses just aren't that expensive. And beating together ammo just goes against my grain.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, neck size only IIRC.

A friend I used to hunt with many moons ago had two rifles, both Ruger Number 1s, one in .22-250, one in 25-06. He loaded for both on the kitchen counter in his apartment with Lee loaders. He did some very accurate shooting with those rifles and loads, dipped and handprimed on the countertop.

I've got to make it a lot more complicated, but it worked for him.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Work well, and cheap. Plus they're about as fast as using a single stage, so It's a wash.
If I had a 'botique' round, I'd buy a couple.

Otherwise, single stage it up
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had one in .308 for about 30 years and it has always worked great. Since I have moved on to much more elaborate systems for reloading, it has fallen into disuse, but I did pull it out just the other day and load about 100 rounds with it. Truth be told, it is almost as fast and seems to put out just as good a finished product as any high dollar press.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top