Quoted:

I think congrats on 15k
I've seen lower - they usually make extra smoke though
View Quote

Thanks and they're all useless posts.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Jets=pfft

when your prop is cutting the lawn you are low, there were cases of prop strike by some WWII Fighters that remained in flight and landed at base.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOagt-_aswU

I am having problems embedding this... But I made the link active. This is pretty damn low as well, if not maybe a hair lower than the OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Our work range was next to a Naval Air Station.
We let those guys shoot on our range. Many times they would drive over and tell us they would do us a "flyby" when they knew we would be training after dark.
They would "flyby" not much higher than the above video, then pull up and go to full afterburn. It was very impressive...

Once when I was hunting antelope and deer in Wyoming around Kaycee, we would have B52's flyby us so low we could see the names on the helments of the pilots. Could not read them, but we could see them.

They would dip their wings. They did this for several days in a row.  It was very impressive.

Another time many years later while on a horseback elk hunt in Wyoming near Pinedale, we saw a B1B flying below the crest of the valley down near the river, below our level.
Kinda strange to be looking down on a bomber...

We were going up the side of a small mountain out of the valley. The pilot must have seen us as a few minutes later he came buy just above treetop level supersonic. The sound boom scared the DEVIL out of us and the horses. We had quite the rodeo on the side of the mountain. I was able to retain my position in the saddle but my pack horse shook all of his load under his belly. Some of the other guys got tossed.

It took us a good while to calm the horses and get everything tied back right. They were real nervous for the rest of the day.

He flew by a later a little higher up, wings tipped to look at us. He knew what he was doing...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
That is pretty good.  I always thought this was pretty low for a transport category aircraft
I suck at embedding

Sir James...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought this might be noteworthy... Chuck Yeager:
http://www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/OpEdCommentaries/201004270640
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sultan of Oman pays Brits to fly his planes.Makes sense as they're less likely to rebel and are already trained. However,they had a history of being bored and doing things like flying Hunters and Jaguars so low

They'd

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Sultan of Oman pays Brits to fly his planes.Makes sense as they're less likely to rebel and are already trained. However,they had a history of being bored and doing things like flying Hunters and Jaguars so low

http://www.vintagewings.ca/Portals/0/Vintage_Stories/NewStories-C/Lower than a snake/Lowdown14.jpg

They'd

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-1794-1237386009_thumb.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

At 3:46 he got damn close to those trees..

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen lower:

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#13]

The pilot's still in there!! Holy hell, I wonder if he made it.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was fine. Ran out of runway.

http://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/aviation-accidents/f-16-crashes-at-oshkosh-air-show/1089920847001/
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure made it. The guy just got out of the runway after landing for a brake or nose wheel problem
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Nice lawn too.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, there was this one

and that one

And while I'm told this is part of a movie, look where that third plane is at 2:44 in relation to that fence!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
("Jesus Ch**st! This guy can fly!"--Gulf Foxtrot, (w,stte), "Blue Tornado")
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice lawn too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice lawn too.  

I'm gonna have to disagree, it looks like it needed to mowed. (note flowers and weeds)
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#19]
When you don't have enough altittude to put the gear down, yeah, that's low.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Just a little Bondo and it'll be fine.

Is the pinkish smoke the fire bottles going off, or just ingested turf smoke? And doesn't the F-16 have an EPU with a hydrazine tank right behind the cockpit?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Our work range was next to a Naval Air Station.
We let those guys shoot on our range. Many times they would drive over and tell us they would do us a "flyby" when they knew we would be training after dark.
They would "flyby" not much higher than the above video, then pull up and go to full afterburn. It was very impressive...

Once when I was hunting antelope and deer in Wyoming around Kaycee, we would have B52's flyby us so low we could see the names on the helments of the pilots. Could not read them, but we could see them.

They would dip their wings. They did this for several days in a row.  It was very impressive.

Another time many years later while on a horseback elk hunt in Wyoming near Pinedale, we saw a B1B flying below the crest of the valley down near the river, below our level.
Kinda strange to be looking down on a bomber...

We were going up the side of a small mountain out of the valley. The pilot must have seen us as a few minutes later he came buy just above treetop level supersonic. The sound boom scared the DEVIL out of us and the horses. We had quite the rodeo on the side of the mountain. I was able to retain my position in the saddle but my pack horse shook all of his load under his belly. Some of the other guys got tossed.

It took us a good while to calm the horses and get everything tied back right. They were real nervous for the rest of the day.

He flew by a later a little higher up, wings tipped to look at us. He knew what he was doing...
View Quote

My dad had a friend who owned a ranch in West Texas near some military airspace reserved for low flying and supersonic flight etc. B-52's used to come in crazy low like that as that was the penetration mission profile in the '80's. Well my dad's friend was a warbird collector and had a F4U Corsair and a P-51 among others. One day he is out playing around in his Corsair and he spots one of these B-52's doing a run and he decides to make a gunnery pass at the side of it. After successfully making a gunnery pass he proceeded to turn behind the B-52 and catch up to it and wave at the pilots. Apparently while they thought it was great fun they didn't really appreciate the sobering lesson on the vulnerability of the BUFF at low level.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]
This one here was the lowest I'd ever seen or (ever heard of again) where the pilot actually flew out of it. It was a low level loop at the Harrison, AR Airshow. This same pilot finally got himself kilt doing the same thing in a F-86 on a day when he didn't have quite as much luck.

Eta: My bad. It wasn't an F-86. This pilot died while flying a mig-21 doing contract work for the Canadian navy. He was doing a high sub-sonic pass over some frigate with a centerline fuel tank installed. He exceeded the tanks speed by about 100 knots. It sheared off and wiped out his stabilator and into the drink he went. Never had a chance to eject. It was a different pilot that died on the Saber.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This one here was the lowest I'd ever seen or (ever heard of again) where the pilot actually flew out of it. It was a low level loop at the Harrison, AR Airshow. This same pilot finally got himself kilt doing the same thing in a F-86 on a day when he didn't have quite as much luck.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w653/Vne70/318B4449-65D1-485B-896D-8CC7B14E0650-5771-00000C2AF1B2F665_zps672b73e4.jpg
View Quote

Touch and go with change of pants required.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think congrats on 15k

I've seen lower - they usually make extra smoke though
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the pinkish smoke the fire bottles going off, or just ingested turf smoke? And doesn't the F-16 have an EPU with a hydrazine tank right behind the cockpit?
View Quote

I believe it does, why?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I believe it does, why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it does, why?

Just wondering how quickly the pilot vacated the cockpit and did a record sprint. I would if I had a tank of that stuff sitting behind me and the plane had just hit hard enough to crack the nose off!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I believe it does, why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it does, why?

That is just turf smoke.  Hydrazine bottle is behind the cockpit by about 4 feet on the RH side.  The EPU exhausts underneath the RH strake.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just wondering how quickly the pilot vacated the cockpit and did a record sprint. I would if I had a tank of that stuff sitting behind me and the plane had just hit hard enough to crack the nose off!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it does, why?

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#29]
During the first Gulf War I was on radio watch one brisk and cool morning about an hour past stand too.  I heard a jet and watch it circling above. Well it came around in a gradual arcing dive and made a pass bisecting the Battalion's perimeter.
About 1/4 of the way through the BN the F-16 went inverted and dropped down to about 20ft.  I could see the pilot wave his hand as he went by, it blew the poncho liners off the some of the guy's sleeping.

It was one of those WOOW moments that you were like, I wish I had that on video now!  I think the pilot was checking us out to make sure we were not Iraqi's before he went all AGM on us.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#30]
This is the one I think of...

I would have liked to have been there for this one...

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#31]

The listing of his injuries was staggering and I can't recall how many Gs it was figured he sustained but it was more than a bunch.

0 points awarded though.

That Argentine Pampa somebody uses as an avatar is damn low.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
This made me think of something that happened to me. During Desert Shield I was driving an 18 wheeler somewhere and heard the most unbelievable racket I had ever heard.
It was the kind of noise that made you tense up and brace for something because you  knew it was getting ready to be bad.

About that time I looked out the passenger window just in time to see a jet of some kind, I think it was an F-16 piloted by an Arab pass next to my truck.

I know this seems impossible but time seemed to slow down. I know he was an arab because I could see the arabic writing under the canopy. I can only assume it was his name.
When he passed he was looking at me.

Not sure how low he was but he was LOW and CLOSE.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I think Don Gentile actually holds this record, in this plane .....

... which ended up looking like this  ....

Can't get much lower than that and walk away from it - and, no, it didn't "buff out" ...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

IIRC... the hydrozine bottle is in the left wing root.

(Ex F-16A/B  Dock Shop Weenie here, but it's been almost 20 years ago!)

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#37]
My uncle was an AF firefighter when a hotshot Italian pilot flew in one day and made a bet with some other pilots on how close to the ground he could get.  He was flying a prop plane, I forget which, and he said he could get so close that he could touch the ground and pop off the light on the top  of his tail fin.  That's right, he came in upside down.

He touched the runway and popped it off.  They also found his engine on the other side of the airfield about 20yds in front of someone's house.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Spanish Hornet huh?  He doesn't happen to have an uncle that drives trains by any chance?  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Meh
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I had planned on taking my boy (4yo) to the air show this year at Nellis, but our cocksucker in chief would rather give money to the muslim brotherhood, and fsa.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Meh
View Quote

not a hornet but I can "Handel" it like the Messiah

(and yea, that's ballsy)
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#42]

A P-47 of the 64th Fighter Squadron, while on a mission to Milan, struck the ground during a low level strafing run. Despite the bent props and crushed chin, the pilot nursed the Jug 150 miles home to Grosseto. Photo via Hebb Russell
View Quote

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/325/language/fr-FR/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-Rut.aspx
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Whoops.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Personally this one has always been a favorite.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had planned on taking my boy (4yo) to the air show this year at Nellis, but our cocksucker in chief would rather give money to the muslim brotherhood, and fsa.
View Quote

You and me both brother.  My little dude would be almost 4 in November.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#46]
United States Navy  catches a small cable on a moving runway...    even in the dark......that takes balls
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top