Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 7:23:32 PM EDT
A guy I work with does it. He's got a really nice 32' and gets $50 a day plus his per diem. The rest of us live in shitty hotels and go home on the weekend. Has anyone ever done this? Seems like a better deal. He sleeps by a lake every night and with his extra money bought a chunk of land.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I  lived in a camper with no power for 3 years while a friend and I carved out a place to build and saved money on 40 acres in Florida.

Seems like living in  a 32 footer with power would be a cinch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, did that years ago when I was a digbum.

Had a Unimog with a camper on it...saved thousands of the per diem. Worked great, plus I could do my own cooking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently considering doing the same thing and heading out to West Texas for work. I'd need a new tow rig though, don't think my 19 year old truck could handle it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Lived in a FEMA trailer for a few years (20 days per month) when doing some out of town contract stuff.
Bought it for 6000, sold it for 2500 and paid 300 per month for water, sewer, internet, cable, electricity

'Neighbors' were old folks in 200K motorcoaches

MUCH cheaper and nicer than some dive apartment.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lived in a FEMA trailer for a few years (20 days per month) when doing some out of town contract stuff.
Bought it for 6000, sold it for 2500 and paid 300 per month for water, sewer, internet, cable, electricity
View Quote

Cavalier?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A guy I work with does it. He's got a really nice 32' and gets $50 a day plus his per diem. The rest of us live in shitty hotels and go home on the weekend. Has anyone ever done this? Seems like a better deal. He sleeps by a lake every night and with his extra money bought a chunk of land.

View Quote

my next door neighbor is a consultant for peoplesoft/oracle.  instead of billing a hotel he bills his company like 150 a night for it and he bought a SWEET motorhome/land yaht. The engagements are 4-6 months so he drives the land yaht out there and  parks at and lives in that instead of a hotel.

it's nicer than my house and cost about the same.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lived in a FEMA trailer for a few years (20 days per month) when doing some out of town contract stuff.Bought it for 6000, sold it for 2500 and paid 300 per month for water, sewer, internet, cable, electricity

View Quote

I did the same. Stayed in my cavalier for a few months. I had no problem with it and much better than living in an apartment. If I were a single man that's what I would do and put back a bunch of money to build a house.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like with $50 a day extra I could pay for the campsite and still have enough to pay off the camper in a year or three. The only problem is finding a place for my shit. That's the only reason I want a house anyway, a place for my shit.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like with $50 a day extra I could pay for the campsite and still have enough to pay off the camper in a year or three. The only problem is finding a place for my shit. That's the only reason I want a house anyway, a place for my shit.

View Quote

A 32 footer will have a decent bathroom, maybe even onboard septic.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My little brother and his wife do. Have for over a year. But so does most of Williston
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Over 28 footer fifth wheel/ 5er with a few slides it would be easy. Go to RV,net its the Arf of  pop ups/travel trailers/Class A, Class C, coaches, buses,etc. Do you have a 3/4 ton or better truck?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]

I lived in a "camper" for 7 years in Iraq.........

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ES556, a storage room rental would have been about $50-100 a month and you could have pocketed the other +$1400 per month.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I lived in a "camper" for 7 years in Iraq.........

View Quote

Go on...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top