Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 1:16:16 PM EDT
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2377841/Hackers-hijack-software-CAR-remotely-control-steering-brakes-horn-using-laptop.html

Hackers hijack software in a CAR and remotely control the steering, brakes and horn using a laptop

• Security engineers have managed to hack the software in a Toyota Prius

• The U.S Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency funded the hack

Forget hacking accounts, computers or mobile devices - security engineers from Indiana have managed to hack the software inside the Toyota Prius and Ford Escape.

Using a laptop wirelessly connected to the car's electronics, Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek were able to
remotely control the brakes, the accelerate, change the speedometer,
switch the headlights on and off, tighten the seatbelts and even blast
the horn.

The project was
funded by a grant from the U.S Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
to highlight the security risks affecting modern-day cars.
View Quote

Yeah, let's hook up every goddam thing to the Internet.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
like i needed another reason to not buy a prius

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
First post hit it out of the park.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hybrids...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I suspect this is doable with just about any vehicle that has parallel parking assist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Michael Hastings died in an out-of-control single car accident.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I wont drive anything that doesn't have a mechanical connection between me and the tires.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect this is doable with just about any vehicle that has parallel parking assist.
View Quote

I'm not sure exactly what the exploit even was.  The article talks about some cars offering wireless, but doesn't say that's what this car has.  It also talks about bluetooth exploits, which wouldn't be internet related.  There's also the possibility that they hijacked the wifi signal that the car uses for internal communication between various sensors.  There was a proof of concept hack around that last year, I believe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
They found a new way to kill the next Breitbart. Did anyone think of John Noveske after reading that? If they can do it to a Prius, I guarantee any Chevy or Ford is already susceptible.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take "fuck that shit" for 1000, Alex.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why I choose to own older pickup trucks. Yeah... that's the ticket...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything written onto a microchip, can be re-written by anyone with enough smarts. And it isn't THAT hard. In other words, if a human can make it, a human can break it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They found a new way to kill the next Breitbart. Did anyone think of John Noveske after reading that? If they can do it to a Prius, I guarantee any Chevy or Ford is already susceptible.
View Quote

What about GM's?  Big GM's.  You know, limousine size GM's...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wont drive anything that doesn't have a mechanical connection between me and the tires.
View Quote

I hope you take real good care of your older cars. There really aren't any of those left. All modern cars have a black box for recording data. At least we are told that's what they are used for. With all the lies and cover ups, who can trust anyone anymore.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is why I choose to own older pickup trucks. Yeah... that's the ticket...
View Quote

my '66 mustang aint got no computer parts!

too bad i sold it because my ride now has to have child seats
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
This isn't unique to hybrids.

Most modern cars can be remotely compromised.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if a "terrorist" (think CIA) could control a Presidential limousine that has a Republican President in it. You are onto something here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Well this thread went to crazy town pretty quick.  Must have been the secret microchip instructions in OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The devil in this is in the details.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing they didn't just walk up to a car in the parking lot and start playing GTA4.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noveske was driving an '84 Land Rover.

Michael Hastings, on the other hand, was driving a 2013 Mercedes when he died in his single vehicle car crash, where he zoomed through red lights apparently out of control.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/08/three-weeks-later-details-about-reporter-michael-hastings-death-in-fiery-car-crash-remain-a-mystery/
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone owning a Prius deserves to have a hacker drive it for them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I hope you take real good care of your older cars. There really aren't any of those left. All modern cars have a black box for recording data. At least we are told that's what they are used for. With all the lies and cover ups, who can trust anyone anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry I have a good supply of late 90's Crown Vics and Town Cars with room for more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The devil in this is in the details.  I'm going out on a limb and guessing they didn't just walk up to a car in the parking lot and start playing GTA4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-reading it, the parallel parking feature is somewhat unique in having braking, acceleration and steering controlled by wire (either directly or in parallel with a mechanical system)

I have been looking at Fords, but the Ecoboost debacle has cooled my interest somewhat. I have heard of several complaints about the sync system, which apparently was the point of entry for the hacks.

Any wireless capability in the car (Sync, Bluetooth connections, WiFi or even OnStar I suppose) could be exploited to one degree or another. Some just to listen or disable the car, others to actively control it.

Ford & Toyota should offer delete options on wireless capability. Bet there would be more than a few takers...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd have guessed right.

Most of these exploits are extremely complicated, or have unrealistic prerequisites.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Between remotely delivered malicious code, ad supply chain issues, the future could be scary.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Between remotely delivered malicious code, ad supply chain issues, the future could be scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed.

I'll keep my 88 Ford.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

They disabled power steering, they weren't able to actually steer the car.  Steer by wire is still not implemented on any production car (yet).

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I think in this case, they were directly plugged into the car, but there was a NOVA ScienceNow episode ("Can science stop crime?" or something like that) where the called the car's onstar phone and flashed the lights, unlocked it so someone could get in, started the engine, and he drove away. Then they put him on a track and locked up his brakes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most of these exploits are extremely complicated, or have unrealistic prerequisites.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an exercise in theory it makes sense.  Having white hats publish the faults in the system is worth the money if the manufacturers start thinking security.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They disabled power steering, they weren't able to actually steer the car.  Steer by wire is still not implemented on any production car (yet).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48CsfoRihqg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

As an exercise in theory it makes sense.  Having white hats publish the faults in the system is worth the money if the manufacturers start thinking security.
View Quote
Frankly I'm appalled that security hasn't been introduced into the life-cycle at every step.

I mean, we are in the year 2013, and technology exploits have been around for 50 years.

For smart animals, we as a species can be pretty fucking stubborn.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's obviously some electronic to mechanical linkage in the cars with parking assist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/05/al_drivebywire/
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In other words, if a human can make it, a human can break it.

View Quote

Truer words were never spoken .

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And?

There are no production cars that are steer by wire (yet).  All production cars still have a physical connection from the steering wheel to the tires.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

. . . this is On-Star , can I help you ?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember in the Michael Hastings thread where it was posted that Alex Jones talked about this.  Half the thread laughed their asses off and said it's impossible tinfoil hat nuttery.  Then berated the people who talked about it.

Line for extra large servings of crow is --------->
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

like i needed another reason to not buy a prius

View Quote

Course, they wouldn't use a Volt for this.

People, if you want to be SAFE, you MUST buy a VOLT! It's the only option!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember in the Michael Hastings thread where it was posted that Alex Jones talked about this.  Half the thread laughed their asses off and said it's impossible tinfoil hat nuttery.  Then berated the people who talked about it.

Line for extra large servings of crow is --------->
View Quote

It's still tinfoil hat nuttery.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Michael Hastings, on the other hand, was driving a 2013 Mercedes when he died in his single vehicle car crash, where he zoomed through red lights apparently out of control.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/08/three-weeks-later-details-about-reporter-michael-hastings-death-in-fiery-car-crash-remain-a-mystery/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

2013 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C250 features

Standard Features

Anti-Theft & Locks.

Selective Locking/Unlocking Via Remote
Vehicle Theft Tracking Notification Included With mbrace In-Vehicle Technology
Vehicle Anti-Theft Via Alarm and Engine Immobilizer

Locking Fuel Filler
Radio Anti-Theft
Child Safety Door Locks Located on Rear Doors
Power Door Locks Operated Via Key, Remote and SmartKe With Automatic Locking
Valet Lockout

Power Trunk Lock/Unlock Via Multi-Function Remote and Interior Switch

Braking & Traction.

Pre-Charging Brake Optimization System
Vehicle Stability Control System
4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
Front Power 295-mm Ventilated Disc and Rear Power 300-mm Ventilated Disc Brakes
Brake Assistance
Traction Control Controlled by Engine Management
Hill Start Control

Electrical.

Audio and Navigation Pre-Wiring
Delayed Power Retention
74 Cold Cranking Amp Battery
Front Cigarette Lighter With Ashtray
2 Front Power Outlets

Engines & Emissions.

Roadside Assistance Warranty for Unlimited Months, Unlimited Miles,
Turbocharged 1.8-Liter, I4, 16-Valve, 4, DOHC, DI Engine; Front/Longitudinal Mounted With Horsepower Of 201@5500, Torque Of 229@2000, Alloy Block and Alloy Cylinder Head
intercooled turbo
ULEV II Emissions

Entertainment, Communication & Navigation.
Vehicle Location System Included With mbrace In-Vehicle Technology
Diversity Radio Antenna
HD AM/FM Radio With 8 Speakers Total; CD Player; MP3 Player
Mercedes-Benz mbrace: Safety & Security, Navigation, Destination Planning & Convenience Services Via Vehicle, Online & Compatible Smartphones. More Info: www.MBUSA.com/mbrace
AM/FM Radio Seek, Scan, COMAND and 8 Speakers Total; CD Player; MP3 Player
Auxiliary Audio Input Jack
In-Glass Radio Antenna
Wireless Communication Access For Bluetooth Enabled Devices with Bluetooth Streaming Audio

Exterior Lighting.

Daytime Running Lights
Automatic High/Low Beam Control Twin Projector Beam Halogen Headlights
Automatic Headlights With Automatic On/Off and Time Delay
Rear Foglights
Perimeter Lighting Activated Via Remote

Exterior, Design, Paint & Finish.

Sport Side Skirts
Sport Front Air Dam
Sport Rear Air Dam
Front and Rear Body Color Bumpers
Chrome Grille, Chrome Body Side Moldings, Cladding, Body Color Exterior Door Handles, Chrome Exhaust Pipe and Chrome Side Windows

Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning.

Rear HVAC Ducts
Separate Driver/Front Passenger Climate Controls
Automatic Climate Control
Interior Air Filter

Instrumentation.

Tachometer
Digital Clock
Trip Computer With Trip Odometer
Exterior Temperature Gauge
Automatic/Delayed Locking and Automatic Headlights
Tire Pressure Monitor
Compass
Steering Wheel Mounted Controls For Audio
Cruise Control
Service Interval Indicator For Brake Wear and Oil Level

Interior Lighting.

Illuminated Entry Doors
Front and Rear Reading Lights
Trunk/Interior Load Area Light

Interior, Design, Decor & Floor Covering.

Alloy Trim Located On Center Floor Console, Doors and Instrument Panel
Leather Steering Wheel
Carpet Located in Passenger Cabin and Cargo Area/Trunk
Rear Carpeted Floor Mats
Front Carpeted Floor Mats

Remote Controls & Remote Releases.

Remote Fuel Door Release
Panic Alarm
Multi-Function Remote Operates Anti-Theft, Door Lock/Unlock, Panic Alarm, Perimeter Lighting, Power Windows, Sunroof and Trunk
Keyless Entry Operated Via Key Fob
Universal Garage Door Opener
Remote Trunk/Decklid Release Located Inside Vehicle and On Multi-Function Remote

Safety.

Rear 3-Point Center Seatbelt
Emergency Fuel Shut-Off Device
Automatic Locking Retractors
Trunk Anti-Trap Device
Front and Rear Pretensioners
First Aid Kit
Front and Rear Side Head Curtain Airbags
Passenger Airbag
Side Guard Door Beams
Front Seatbelt Height Adjusters
Driver Airbag
Rear Center 3-Point Seatbelts
Front Active Head Restraints
Seat Mounted Front Side Airbags
Driver Knee Airbag
Passenger Airbag Cutoff Sensor

Seats.

Theater Style Rear Seating
Front Dual Reclining Sport Bucket Seats With Adjustable Seat Height and Adjustable Headrests
Rear Bench Seat With Adjustable Headrests and Fold-Down Center Armrest
Seat Type=bench
Front Passenger Power Seat Adjusts 8 Ways Total
Front Dual Reclining Bucket Seats Driver Side Adjusts 8 Ways Total, Adjustable Seat Height, Passenger Side Adjusts 8 Ways Total, Adjustable Seat Height, Adjustable Headrests and Fold-Down Center Armrest
Front Dual Manual Lumbar Support
Driver Power Seat Adjusts 8 Ways Total
Leatherette Seats

Steering.

Power Rack and Pinion Variable Assisted Steering
Telescopic Steering Column
Tilt Steering Column

Storage.

Front Covered Lower Console Storage Located On Floor
Temperature Controlled Storage Cools Glovebox
Cargo Area Tiedowns
Lockable Illuminated Glovebox
Rear Armrest Storage
Front and Rear Cupholders
Front and Rear Door Mounted Storage
Seatback Storage Pockets

Sunroof/Moonroof & Removable/Convertible Top.

Front Power Glass Tilt and Slide Sunroof

Suspension.

Independent Multi-Link Rear Suspension With Coil Springs, Shock Absorbers and Sport Ride Type
Independent Multi-Link Rear Suspension With Coil Springs and Shock Absorbers and sport Ride Type
Front Stabilizer Bar

Towing/Trailering & Payload.

4453-Lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
1135-Lb Payload Package

Transmission.

Adaptive Automatic Transmission
7-Speed Electronically Controlled Manually Interactive Automatic Transmission With Overdrive and Tow/Haul/Snow ModeTouchShift Manually Interactive Automatic Transmission

Wheels & Tires.

Front P225/45HR17 BSW All-Season and Rear P245/40HR17 BSW All-Season Tires
Alloy Wheels Front 17-in. X 7.5-in. and Rear 17-in. X 8.5-in.
Compact Spare Tire
Interior Spare Tire Mounted Under Cargo Floor
Inflatable Spare Tire Kit

Windows, Mirrors & Wipers.

Front Dual Sunvisors
Dual Body Color Folding Power Adjustable Heated Signaling Exterior Rearview Mirrors With Driver Side Electrochromic
Rain Sensing Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Power Window Lockout/Override
Manual Sunshade Located on Sunroof/Moonroof
Dual Body Color Folding Power Adjustable Heated Signaling Exterior Rearview Mirrors With Driver Side Electrochromic and Passenger Automatic Tilt-Down
Heated Windshield Glass
Rain Sensing Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Front Vanity Mirror
Tinted Glass
Front Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
Rear Window Defroster
Front and Rear Power Windows With One-Touch Up and One-Touch Down
Heated Washer System
Electrochromic Interior Rearview Mirror

Is such a thing even possible?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

I'm actually familiar with the security systems at On-Star as well, and I'm not impressed.

Two steps away from a kid with Cheetos stained fingers shutting down every GM in the country is pretty scary.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
And?

There are no production cars that are steer by wire (yet).  All production cars still have a physical connection from the steering wheel to the tires.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And?

And the cars that auto-park ....what controls the steering ?

If youre buzzin along the highway and the computer gets a signal to steer left . . . . . .

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah there have been a few suspicious single vehicle auto accidents that this could apply to, but Noveske was driving an 80's vintage vehicle IIRC.

I have one word to contemplate in addition to the obvious implications for automobiles.

Airbus.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
so the question is can this be done to things like airplanes also?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's actually MUCH harder to do this to an airplane because there is a physical air-gap between the systems that control it and the other systems on the plane.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Skynet will be a constantly changing group of teenagers and college losers and they will rule the world.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's actually MUCH harder to do this to an airplane because there is a physical air-gap between the systems that control it and the other systems on the plane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't be quite so sure about that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think in this case, they were directly plugged into the car, but there was a NOVA ScienceNow episode ("Can science stop crime?" or something like that) where the called the car's onstar phone and flashed the lights, unlocked it so someone could get in, started the engine, and he drove away. Then they put him on a track and locked up his brakes.
View Quote

I re-read the art. it was wireless.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd know better than I would.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, I would say that navigational systems are potentially vulnerable.

Eta: depends on the aircraft and specific element targeted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top