Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 12:14:44 PM EDT
Seriously... going after chaplains is low.

A Christian chaplain stationed at a military base in Alaska has been censored for posting an article on the site’s website that an organization fighting for soldiers right to religious freedom has described as 'bigoted.'

Air Force Lt. Col. Kenneth Reyes, who serves at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, wrote an article entitled, ‘No Atheists in Foxholes: Chaplains Gave All in World War II’ for his regular ‘Chaplain’s Corner’ column.
Just five hours after the article was posted, it was taken down following complaints from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), reports Fox News.
In a letter to Duffy the organization accused Lt. Col. Reyes of using a 'bigoted, religious supremacist phrase' which  'defiles the dignity of service members.'

Now the MRFF, which is run by Michael Weinstein, is also demanding that the chaplain should be disciplined.

‘Faith based hate is hate all the same,’ the group said in the letter. ‘Lt. Col. Reyes must be appropriately punished.’
View Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2378215/Military-chaplain-censored-using-hate-speech-repeated-WWII-phrase-atheists-foxholes.html
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hide and watch. The current administration will not be happy until there are no chaplains in the service.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As an agnostic, that's going too far.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
God help us.

One, because we need it... two, because it'll piss off the PC crowd
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A) MRFF is a bunch of fucktards.

B) "No atheists in foxholes" is a stupid fucking saying, and demonstrably false.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe being in a foxhole would convert me. I don't think so, but how would I know?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
chaplain in the Army was always an oximoron to me (a puzzlement)
when your in deep shit having some guy ride up in a Hummer telling everyone to have a nice day, as they drive off, not to mention the alky ones I've run into
onetime in the field I was getting some coffee from a mess setup, I don't usually drink coffee, so I used more than average amount of sugar, cause I like southern sweet tea (no I ain't uncle Si)
so this Chaplain in the line says real loud you must be a drug addict using that much sugar, & starts laughing. Welp too bad there wasn't any live fire at the time or he might a gotten to met St.Peter sooner than he thought.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

B) "No atheists in foxholes" is a stupid fucking saying, and demonstrably false.

View Quote

This is true. I served with 4 atheist in Iraq.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hide and watch. The current administration will not be happy until there are no chaplains in the service.
View Quote

unless they are muslim chaplains or whatever they would be called.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
In Airborne units, Chaplains frequently said there's no such thing as an atheist at the end of a static line, probably because everyone is saying,

"Please God! Please God! Please God!"  As they exit the door, wait for their chute to deploy, then descend to earth.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I sat in one a couple times. Still an atheist. That saying really pisses me off though, because its usually said by people who have never heard a shot fired in anger.

ETA: In my experience.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know fatalerror was in MRFF in

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In Airborne units, Chaplains frequently said there's no such thing as an atheist at the end of a static line, probably because everyone is saying,

"Please God! Please God! Please God!"  As they exit the door, wait for their chute to deploy, then descend to earth.
View Quote

How Many Chaplains Did You Have To Push Out The Door ??
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Seriously... going after chaplains is low.
View Quote

Not as low as repeating that stupid quote.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this.  My specific, personal religious views aside, this is bullshit.  Censoring is all the rage, unless you're the POTUS and then you can say whatever you want and 47% of the US will play mental gymnastics to support the comment.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Most chaplains I've dealt with are very cool.

Not the one from NMCB-28, though. He beat my ass in pugil stick training, and I had a headache for two days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree on both accounts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Atheists are so annoying. I don't care that you don't believe in anything, but stop throwing a hissy fit at the hint of anything related to religion or God
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agree on both accounts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree on both accounts.

Perhaps we should do away with "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition" as well?

Both are iconic WW2 phrases.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The phrase is used as a way of belittling atheists. It's a statement that their opinions are weak and fail in the face of adversity. It is a hateful, spiteful phrase, and yes, the chaplain should be punished for it. They aren't there to insult other servicemen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Perhaps we should do away with "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition" as well?

View Quote

Knock yourself out, say any fool thing you want.

Criticism is not censorship.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

As an atheist, I agree.

Anti-theists are assholes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#24]
you can be a Doctor & fuck up & lose your license
but there is a light, join the Military & be a doctor
the Military has a few to be sure
chaplains always struck me as hmm... so you got caught with too many choir boys or sumthin ??
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live to serve you, Buttercup.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The phrase is used as a way of belittling atheists. It's a statement that their opinions are weak and fail in the face of adversity. It is a hateful, spiteful phrase, and yes, the chaplain should be punished for it. They aren't there to insult other servicemen.
View Quote

Have to agree.  I dont get butthurt at religious stuff, but in this specific instance the chaplain is in the wrong for exactly that reason.  The saying targets a specific set of military members, and basically questions the integrity of their beliefs when it comes to religion.  That is not the chaplains role.

Would I complain about it?  No.  If the chaplain said it in my presence I would however not stand idly by, I'd tell him he's full of shit.  If some members do complain, I see and agree with their point.  This isn't about putting up crosses in graveyards, or religious themed stuff...all of which I have no problem with.  But when you specifically mention me, expect me to answer that call.  Best advice for chaplains, if you don't want atheists mouthing off when you mention religion, ignore atheists completely and don't mention them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought it was "pass the ketsup"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was "pass the ketsup"

My little buttercup has the sweetest smile..........
Dear little buttercup won't you stay awhile.....
You and I could settle down in a cottage built for two.......
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
As an atheist, I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As an atheist, I agree.

That same logic makes the chaplain an asshole.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an atheist, I agree.

No it doesn't. It makes him a chaplain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top