Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 10:12:15 AM EDT
Im lucky enough to live a few miles from a Marine base. We always hear various MG fire, and it's not too loud at all so it's really pretty cool. After 10 years of it I dont even think much about it.

Yesterday though, they were shooting miniguns, and it was totally awesome! Judging by how loud it was, it was definately 50 cal. The rate of fire was very high, at least 2k RPM. I didnt even know there was any current 50 cal mini gun shooting above 1.3k RPM.

It was totally music to the ears.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
probably a M134

they are impressive sounding....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im lucky enough to live a few miles from a Marine base. We always hear various MG fire, and it's not too loud at all so it's really pretty cool. After 10 years of it I dont even think much about it.

Yesterday though, they were shooting miniguns, and it was totally awesome! Judging by how loud it was, it was definately 50 cal. The rate of fire was very high, at least 2k RPM. I didnt even know there was any current 50 cal mini gun shooting above 1.3k RPM.

View Quote

Do they have an aerial gunnery range?

ETA: Reason I say is cause it was either an M134 or it was off of an aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They only have a land based shooting range. This is a residential area.

I assumed it was a GAU-19 mounted on a Humvee. Im not sure what a M134 is. Are they currently in use?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
M-134 is a .308 Gatling gun. The mini gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It's been 25 years since I was in but I don't remember a .50 cal mini-gun. It was either .308 for the mini-gun or 20mm for the M61 Vulcan/GAU.

ETA - The .308 sounds cool but the Vulcan sounds like God ripping a huge fart. Truly awe inspiring.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Judging by how loud it was, it was definately 50 cal. The rate of fire was very high, at least 2k RPM. I didnt even know there was any current 50 cal mini gun shooting above 1.3k RPM.

View Quote
i doubt it was a 50

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Used to have a friend that lived out by Twenty Nine Palms Marine Base in California. It was impressive to be out there when the boys were playin' with their toys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of a .50 cal mini-gun....only .308 and 20 mike mike.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think they're very common.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://world.guns.ru/machine/usa/gau-19-a-heavy-machine-gun-e.html

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://world.guns.ru/machine/usa/gau-19-a-heavy-machine-gun-e.html

they are not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top