Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 9:37:43 AM EDT
I sent a package via the USPS and it has turned into a ghost on their tracking system.  it says that it departed the sorting facility, but after that the trail goes dead.  Does anyone have any suggestions as far as getting refunded to value of my package if it does not turn up?

thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local post office and ask?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.usps.com/ship/file-insurance-claims.htm

ETA:  Assuming you insured it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to your local post office and ask?
View Quote

They will look at the same information you have and parrot what's on the screen.  It's just best not to waste your time, you'll just become enraged.

There is nothing you can do.  Often times it will get routed to the opposite ass end of the country and go back in the system.  Give it a couple or so weeks before considering it a loss.

I use USPS every day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
when i filed a claim on a lost MO, i think you had to wait 30days before you could file..
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I sent a package via the USPS and it has turned into a ghost on their tracking system.  it says that it departed the sorting facility, but after that the trail goes dead.  Does anyone have any suggestions as far as getting refunded to value of my package if it does not turn up?

thanks, Mike
View Quote

How long since you sent the package?  What service did you use (priority, first class)?  When was the last update?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
They will tell you to wait a bit. Do not put any faith in their tracking system, it sucks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
This has happened to me a few times.

Call their 1800 number, press 0 every time the automated voice starts speaking.   Should take 3 or 4 button presses.   That will get you speaking to a live person.

Explain the situation.    They'll start a trace.

That will 99% fix the problem.   It's worked for me every time.

Give it a good week, tho.   Just because the tracking system trail goes dead doesn't really mean anything.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Their tracking system has got to be the worst in the industry.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You can put a trace on it but it has to be missing for 30 days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
How many days past the "expected delivery date" is it?  Just this week I went through the same thing where the tracking info indicated that my package was at so and so's "sorting facility" for much longer (several days) than it was supposed to be. Then low and behold, the thing shows up at my house, and all the tracking movements get posted after the delivery. So just because the tracking doesn't show movement, it doesn't mean that the package isn't in transit. USPS is infamous for their less than useful tracking process.  Good luck OP.  Hope everything turns out for the best.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If it hasn't been long, just give it time and it will likely show up.

I got a package delivered today that the tracking info's last update was "departed sorting facility" and was a day past its estimated delivery. Their tracking info isn't worth shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I have received packages, in my hand, that are still listed in transit according to their online tracking system days later.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I think a member here recived it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Its been a week and it only should have taken a few days.  My main concern is that the original postal worker never did an  origination scan, it never showed an expected delivery date, or delivery location, just that it had been sorted and left the facility.  The person I sent it to never received anything  either
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, I have received packages, in my hand, that are still listed in transit according to their online tracking system days later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've received packages that were listed in transit for days after delivery.  I've received things with nothing listed on the tracking then suddenly they show up.  Give a little while, it's probably still coming.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#16]
That's pretty much all their tracking system does, tells you when it leaves that first facility.
Unlike a real company where people WORK for a living.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top