Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 7:53:42 AM EDT
People are making OMG guns with them, so lets make them look like they are bad mmkay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/3d-printers-health_n_3646133.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
PLA smells pleasant.  I can't see how a corn based product could be construed as toxic.

3D printing is a tidal wave waiting to hit shore.  The gov is just about ready to go into a panic frenzy trying to restrict their use.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm fucked then.  I'm sitting next to an industrial one right now

It's only a matter of time before it prints a gun and kills me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Protip:  Don't huff molten plastic fumes.

A whiff every now and then won't kill you...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
They are just trying to find a reason to regulate them
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait till Skynet comes on line and starts printing synthetic Terminators

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guns don't kill people........printers do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

People are making OMG guns with them, so lets make them look like they are bad mmkay.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/3d-printers-health_n_3646133.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
View Quote

I don't think that's the goal of the article at all actually. If you read it all they are doing is warning consumers and advising you use it in a well ventilated area. Since you're essentially melting plastic, that makes sense. The article never once mentioned the ability to print firearms or even hinted at regulation.
But onward with the dog pile. FBHO

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
LIES!!!!

tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new damn cars scare my horses
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Ventilate.

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Skynet style
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ventilate.

Problem solved.

View Quote

Do you have the 'black lung' yet?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey you insensitive pricks!

Don't you realize that the 3D printer is as dangerous as COOKING ON AN ELECTRICAL OR GAS STOVE IN YOUR HOUSE!?!

Someone might get.... well.... Something! And it'll be all your fault!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#15]
They also have been known to cause ingrown toenails in the State of California.

Ban them; for the toenails.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think that's the goal of the article at all actually. If you read it all they are doing is warning consumers and advising you use it in a well ventilated area. Since you're essentially melting plastic, that makes sense. The article never once mentioned the ability to print firearms or even hinted at regulation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? ETA maybe not the article but HuffPost, um yeah. Quick lets get the EPA involved.

Scary Inside
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ventilate.

Problem solved.

I used to weld inside fuel tanks.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really? ETA maybe not the article but HuffPost, um yeah. Quick lets get the EPA involved.

Scary Inside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scary Inside

Lulz Liberator

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Solution: box fan.

Ventilation solved.

Ventilation STAYING solved.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Scary Inside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Scary Inside

More sensationalist bull shit from the usual players. That article has been duped at least 87 times now. I even wrote a paper on it

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually, second thought:

Why not collect or recapture the plastic particulates and reprocess them as filament?

Probably not worth it in a small-scale setting, but for large printers or shops running these things constantly, it might be nice to recapture that wasted material.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More sensationalist bull shit from the usual players.

View Quote

If you think HuffPo has your best interest I feel bad for you son..

They got 99 articles and a pro gun ain't one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, that settles it.  We should buy manual mills with CNC upgrades for slightly more and have something that produces metal parts with no harmful fumes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#24]
ARFCOM mocked as a bunch of printer repairmen

3d printers hit the mainstream

People find they can print guns with 3d printers

ARFCOM printer repairmen ahead of their time
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Then ban them. Along with cigarettes, cigars, pipes, incense burners, birthday-candles, spray-paint cans, baby powder, deodorizer sprays, hairspray, frying pans, George Foreman Grills, cats, do-it-yourself-carpet-removal and anything else that releases or can be used to release particulates into the air.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#26]
When there's something out there that might be harming people but is not useful in a backhanded political fashion, they could give a shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm feel bad for you if you think HuffPo has the best interest for gunowners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More sensationalist bull shit from the usual players.

I'm feel bad for you if you think HuffPo has the best interest for gunowners.

I never said they did. Neither article you posted however had anything to do with the EPA. Only one was calling for regulation. I highly doubt you will see any regulation of 3D printers with the massive grass roots following they have. Or if we do, it's going to be centered around Intellectual property laws.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]
said to be similar to cooking on a gas or electric stove and smoking a cigarette indoors.
View Quote

Can we back up a second here?  Isn't this news a little more important?  Cooking on an electric stove is similar to smoking indoors?  This would be a rather notable thing to start the article with, wouldn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top