Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 2:04:17 AM EDT
it is a CURSE... because I have to be around so many people who DON'T HAVE ANY.  

Discuss.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
common sense is so rare nowadays...it should be labeled as a superpower.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, and quality workmenship.

I had a highschool senior putting up some 8 foot lights in my warehouse.  I came up to check his work and said, "ok, take them back down and do it right this time".   WUT?   "Make them straight!"  WUT?  "the lights - make them straight!"  Oh.     (The lights were  all kinds of catty-whompus, kind of like a train derailment)

You would think, that a row of light fixtures, running 6" over from a straight roof support running parrallel to what he was putting up could be used as someting to measure off of?     Hopefully he learned something.  Good kid though- -passed a drug test, shows up at work on time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had a highschool senior putting up some 8 foot lights in my warehouse.  I came up to check his work and said, "ok, take them back down and do it right this time".   WUT?   "Make them straight!"  WUT?  "the lights - make them straight!"  Oh.     (The lights were  all kinds of catty-whompus, kind of like a train derailment)

You would think, that a row of light fixtures, running 6" over from a straight roof support running parrallel to what he was putting up could be used as someting to measure off of?     Hopefully he learned something.  Good kid though- -passed a drug test, shows up at work on time.
View Quote

The correct term when used in the past tense is "Catty- Wompered."

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The more responsibility the government takes, the less the people have.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Common sense comes from doing things for real, not from playing video games.  Hence common sense's  increasing scarcity.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I call it the round edge syndrome, virtually everything is bubble wrapped these days.  The last few decades have focused so much on making things safe for the children that they actually don't learn from their mistakes.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Having common sense is racist I tell just racist...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I call it the round edge syndrome, virtually everything is bubble wrapped these days.  The last few decades have focused so much on making things safe for the children that they actually don't learn from their mistakes.  
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Makes you wonder how some of them made it to adulthood.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
common sense is developed from ones life experiences to date..

if you're a Pollyanna personality, your skew of common sense will be far different from Jenny from Da Block's view..

though you'd think not touching the hot pot would be viewed the same way,,not so much.
Chef
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:16:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

or vote Democrat after age 35
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

People cant spell anymore either.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that all it takes these days?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]
It amazes me, lots of dip shits out there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Expect nothing, you'll never be let down...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It puts him in the top 10%.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I disagree I believe you are blessed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I disagree I believe you are blessed.
View Quote

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Discuss.
View Quote

Common sense is a misnomer, because there is no such thing
Common sense is literally a belief that's held in common
What you actually have is personal opinion. Everyones got an opinion..... but they don't match....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.  I tell every prospective hire that I basiclly teach then to do anything except how to "want" to come to work and be on time.  Come to work everyday on time willing to put a full day in and you are going places.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's bullshit, it's catty wompus.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What you actually have is personal opinion. Everyones got an opinion..... but they don't match....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

It is commonly accepted that if you touch a hot burner, you will get burned!

That is common sense.

If you take out a loan you cannot pay, you will lose your house!

That is common sense.

Or one would think.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Spending time with some of my coworkers has shaken my faith in the human race to survive.  Then I come on ARF and my faith is restored, most of the time, sometimes I read a Hunter11 thread
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is common sense.

View Quote

The burner is not common sense because a kid has to touch the burner to learn that it burns.
That's a learned bit of information that we pick up on as we mature, not something held innately in common knowledge by everyone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody understands technical terms anymore.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Expect nothing, you'll never be let down...
View Quote

But you're still expected to pay for nothing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe you guys need to speak English
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
common sense is so rare nowadays...it should be labeled as a superpower.
View Quote

That's all I have, so I am now KING.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's done with sheer numbers.  There are enough of them that at least some of them will make it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're all wrong. It's "catty whompin."  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Amen.
Common sense is no longer something we all share in common... therefore, it really doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Meh, I don't think it's a curse.

It's at least "very entertaining" when the people around you, with no common sense, work with very sharp things, very heavy things, or electricity. Especially when you have the common sense to keep yourself at a safe distance.

Definitely a blessing in those cases.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Common Sense is, indeed, not so common

I see the fruit of the lack of such sense in the ER quite regularly
This entertains me at times and makes me a living

For instance, last week I saw a teenager in the ER who had struck a door with his fist.
My first question?  "Well, do you feel stupid?"
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Since the welfare state supports the stupid, those with common sense are becoming a smaller % of the population.  Actions and decisions used to have consequences.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how i'ma gona feel special if I don't have my own ingroup cattywompum speak?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing its a southern-ese thing
Its early, but I might have a Universal Translator around that understands US Rebel Dialect
So knock yourself out with your kitty catty willy wompkin stuff.......
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Reduction from 25 to 20 will result in a 20% reduction (25-20=5/25x100).
Increase from 20 to 25 will result in a 25% increase (25-20=5/20x100).
View Quote

it took the new 'analyst' an hour of google & excel work to figure out percentage difference and emailed the above for confirmation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The burner is not common sense because a kid has to touch the burner to learn that it burns.
That's a learned bit of information that we pick up on as we mature, not something held innately in common knowledge by everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is common sense.

Yes, but isn't it common sense to realize for example, that after listening to a 'tard for about 15 seconds, that they are stupid?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

and that last line is telling...

before ...just passing a piss test and showing up on time were not enough to be considered a "Good Worker"
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, but isn't it common sense to realize for example, that after listening to a 'tard for about 15 seconds, that they are stupid?

View Quote

No, because there are flocks of people who willingly listen to tards ramble on for hours every 4 years at the DNC national convention, for instance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#41]
"I'm not saying that we should kill all the stupid people, we should just get rid of all the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out."
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Common sense is indeed a rare commodity these days.

On the flip side, EVERY time I hear someone talk about "Common Sense" in regards to legislation/laws, there is in fact a severe lack of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Its early, but I might have a Universal Translator around that understands US Rebel Dialect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just universal deep south speak. It comes with the grits. Atlanta would be a good place to learn the southern speakalese.  There needs to be a universal translator for northeast speak too. Those accents are like just wow.

disclaimer: I own no, nor do i endorse ownership of, 'stars and bars'.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I used to feel I had a complex when I would see the general public do stupid things.

Then as time went by, I seen it was so common, that stupidity was the new common sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top