Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 7:40:45 PM EDT
Ever since my RX-7 blew up, I've been driving my dad's 2011 Focus when it's available. It's great for basic transportation, but beyond that it's the definition of 'blah'. I feel it would actually be entertaining if I could shift my own gears, it's pretty light and nimble for what it is. I'm not talking about hooning or anything like that, I just used to get so much joy from rev-matching through all the gears when approaching a stop sign or red light, or when coming up to a corner. Dropping it in 'D' and having little further interaction with the vehicle is pretty boring .

Oh well, I'm just ranting. Cool story bro, first world problems, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on track again this weekend.  I'll think of you  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ever since my RX-7 blew up, I've been driving my dad's 2011 Focus when it's available. It's great for basic transportation, but beyond that it's the definition of 'blah'. I feel it would actually be entertaining if I could shift my own gears, it's pretty light and nimble for what it is. I'm not talking about hooning or anything like that, I just used to get so much joy from rev-matching through all the gears when approaching a stop sign or red light, or when coming up to a corner. Dropping it in 'D' and having little further interaction with the vehicle is pretty boring .

Oh well, I'm just ranting. Cool story bro, first world problems, etc.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean.  Fortunately I got my rotary back after a week or so with a focus.  I've never complained so much about a car in my life.  Its not a bad car, like you said its just "car".  This a ford Car.  It gets xx mpg.  The sanitary towel is a huge upgrade though and really makes it fun to drive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I miss driving a stick as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Put a 5.3 in the rx7
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If your bored while driving an automatic, you can always text or put your make-up on while driving
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
love the 6M

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
My stick shift says "KIA" on it, you ain't missing much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Name this stick...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
thats lotus thingy?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Well that didn't take long...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
neighbor has one and wrecked it -

what model of exige you have? you in central ohio?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn beat me. lotus for sure.

e46 M3 on top. MZ coupe or convertible in the middle?

I love my 6 speed Audi A4 S-Line.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My daily driver is a 5 speed Mustang GT.  I hope to upgrade it to a 6 speed some day.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is an Elise.  Northwest Ohio.  Did he L-ift On- T-urn U S-pin?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]

"Damn hot after being left in the July sun"

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Two weeks ago while on track I got to see what one looks like upside down.  Couldn't figure out what it was.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he was trying to show off to some hotties at starbucks driving by and hit a stopped SUV

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put a 5.3 in the rx7
View Quote

I honestly completely understand and appreciate all the advantages of putting a V8 in any generation RX-7 (I'm even a member on norotors.com), but I think I'm too much of a purist to actually do it . Not now, anyway. Maybe after going through a few turbo rotaries I could move on to a LS1/2/3/6 .

Also pics. I actually have 2 second gen RX-7s. My first one is rusted to hell and I pretty much had to completely tear down the engine when I got it in order to make it run. I drove it for about 4 years, the engine finally let go last summer.

My second one is much nicer. I bought it with a blown engine (on purpose), but the body is in wonderful shape. I bought it from a guy in Texas and my dad and I drove down and towed it back. I have an engine (non-turbo for now), but I'm doing a bunch of other restoration stuff to the car that needs to be done before the engine goes in.

here's the two of them together:
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Name this stick...

<a href="http://s133.photobucket.com/user/pistolpete17/media/Stick_zps4017aeb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/pistolpete17/Stick_zps4017aeb1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Lotus
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I honestly completely understand and appreciate all the advantages of putting a V8 in any generation RX-7, but I think I'm too much of a purist to actually do it . Not now, anyway. Maybe after going through a few turbo rotaries I could move on to a LS1/2/3/6 .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put a 5.3 in the rx7

I honestly completely understand and appreciate all the advantages of putting a V8 in any generation RX-7, but I think I'm too much of a purist to actually do it . Not now, anyway. Maybe after going through a few turbo rotaries I could move on to a LS1/2/3/6 .

OK fine, put a 20b in it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put a 5.3 in the rx7

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Come drive a stick in downtown Seattle during rush hour in the rain.  It'll cure it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm on track again this weekend.  I'll think of you  

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Eyesofsilver/media/M3%20Folder/IMG_5105.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/M3%20Folder/IMG_5105.jpg</a>
View Quote

E46 M all day!
I'd love to have those cinnamon seats if it weren't for my Recaros.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm too busy texting to operate a motorcar....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Come drive a stick in downtown Seattle during rush hour in the rain.  It'll cure it.
View Quote

Meh.

Back in college, I used to deliver auto parts in a major city.  The vehicle that I was stuck with the most was a 90's Ford Ranger.  It came from the factory with a 5 speed (that hated going into first gear), manual steering (with a tiny steering wheel), no a/c, and no radio.  Even with that experience behind me, I still loved and continue to love manual transmissions.  I even special ordered my 2013 Subaru with a manual when I couldn't find a manual one in stock with the right options and in the right color.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I miss driving manual, too.  Well, living where I do now, anyway.

Where I lived in SC, I would have shot myself in the face if I was driving stick.  Too much traffic in the summer time.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Im glad I picked up a manual Z a couple of years ago, because it doesnt look like they will be around much longer. I believe Porsche has already said they are dropping them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I love driving my 5 speed Jeep.

Would never own an automatic Jeep, regardless of what the rock crawlers say.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love driving my 5 speed Jeep.

Would never own an automatic Jeep, regardless of what the rock crawlers say.
View Quote

Ditto.  Slowlyl collecting parts in the backyard (I have the drivetrain complete) for a SBC-powered early Bronco.  SM465 granny 4-speed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Im glad I picked up a manual Z a couple of years ago, because it doesnt look like they will be around much longer. I believe Porsche has already said they are dropping them.
View Quote

want..
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I honestly completely understand and appreciate all the advantages of putting a V8 in any generation RX-7 (I'm even a member on norotors.com), but I think I'm too much of a purist to actually do it . Not now, anyway. Maybe after going through a few turbo rotaries I could move on to a LS1/2/3/6 .
View Quote

This, do it, now. I love my LS1 and my LS6.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I miss advancing my own timing and total loss oil systems.

A computer driven solenoid can change gears faster and better than you, John Henry. Embrace it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I miss driving an 18-speed.
Drove a Western Star like this, but metallic green with a eaton 18 speed and a Detroit Diesel.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:50:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Get in an auto muscle car with a high stall torque converter and see if you don't have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top