Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:37:17 PM EDT
My brother-in-law (well, ex) works from home.  He parks his car in the basement garage, which is behind the house, and there is an empty parking pad out front for visitors.  So it looked like no one was home.

He was in his basement office working, when he heard a big crash upstairs.  He got off the phone with his customer, and went out the back and up the stairs to his back deck.  He saw the front door lying on the living room floor, and a car backed up to the door with the trunk open.

Then he heard a voice from his master bedroom.  He grabbed a long metal knicknack of some kind off a table and went in swinging and yelling.

Trayvon #1 took a pummeling, but managed to run out and exit the front door.  Trayvon #2 ran into the master bath and jumped out a second story window that overlooked a concrete patio.

Bro pursued the front door runner to the car.  It had no license plate.  Door runner waited for the now limping window jumper to get into the car.  In those seconds, bro tried to break the car's back window to mark it for the cops.  But his weapon wasnt heavy enough, so he instead wailed on the trunk and rear fenders, bashing them in and damaging the paint.

The guys then took off.  Bro called the cops, they came and started dusting for prints and looking for the car.  Haven't heard results on that yet.

The cops told him there had been a few recent burglaries in the area, and they were probably all done by these guys.

In the aftermath, when he had time to collect himself and think back, he realized a few things:

He's damn lucky they weren't armed.

When he saw the door busted in, he should have backed out and immediately called the cops with his cell phone.  Safer for him, and the cops might have got there before the burglars left.

He could have easily busted their window with a truck hitch he had lying by the front door.  D'oh.

He has a gun, but it was in the master bedroom and was inaccessible.  I think he'll be keeping it on him for a while and getting a second gun to keep downstairs in his office.

In the end, it could have been a lot worse.  The scumbags took some damage, didnt get away with anything, and bro is unhurt and safe, if shook up.  I doubt he'll be sleeping there tonight.

Just wanted to pass this little story on.  Hopefully it helps make some people think about their preparedness and what they might do in a similar situation.

UPDATE:  7/26 - Burglars arrested!
His description of the burglars and their vehicle, as well as the damage to the car, led police right to them.  Turns out his was the second home they'd burglarized that same day.  At the first home, they'd broken into a locked cabinet and stolen 15 firearms as well as jewelry and other items.  No one was home at the time.  Police were investigating the first burglary when his call came in.  From his information, they were able to track down the perps in less than a day.  (Don't have details on how they found them yet).  When they went to the suspect's house, they found his car there with dents and scratches all over the rear end.  The suspects were both in the home and were arrested.  All 15 guns and other stolen property were there and were recovered.
We're doubly glad they didn't decide to arm themselves with any of the stolen guns.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Join date. Post count.
Oh wait.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
01ers
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
no gun in the basement?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What a wasted opportunity
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]

How did he know their names?

Seems like that should help identify them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Join date. Post count.
Oh wait.

ETA: smash and grabs are 99.99999 unarmed.

Wait a dang second? What kind of fucking weird double tap is this?
Bah.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a wasted opportunity
View Quote

This.

Needed more bodies.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Good metal massage on Trayvon #1.  Glad Trayvon #2 has a limp.  I wonder if popo went to ER to see if #2 is being treated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Join date. Post count.
Oh wait.

ETA: smash and grabs are 99.99999 unarmed.
View Quote

3 minute double tap???

That's got to be some sort of record.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My brother-in-law (well, ex) works from home.  He parks his car in the basement garage, which is behind the house, and there is an empty parking pad out front for visitors.  So it looked like no one was home.

View Quote

He was in his basement office working, when he heard a big crash upstairs.  He got off the phone with his customer, and went out the back and up the stairs to his back deck.  He saw the front door lying on the living room floor, and a car backed up to the door with the trunk open.

Then he heard a voice from his master bedroom.  He grabbed a long metal knicknack of some kind off a table and went in swinging and yelling.

Trayvon #1 took a pummeling, but managed to run out and exit the front door.  Trayvon #2 ran into the master bath and jumped out a second story window that overlooked a concrete patio.

Bro pursued the front door runner to the car.  It had no license plate.  Door runner waited for the now limping window jumper to get into the car.  In those seconds, bro tried to break the car's back window to mark it for the cops.  But his weapon wasnt heavy enough, so he instead wailed on the trunk and rear fenders, bashing them in and damaging the paint.

The guys then took off.  Bro called the cops, they came and started dusting for prints and looking for the car.  Haven't heard results on that yet.

The cops told him there had been a few recent burglaries in the area, and they were probably all done by these guys.

In the aftermath, when he had time to collect himself and think back, he realized a few things:

When he saw the door busted in, he should have backed out and immediately called the cops with his cell phone.  Safer for him, and the cops might have got there before the burglars left.

He could have easily busted their window with a truck hitch he had lying by the front door.  D'oh.

He has a gun, but it was in the master bedroom and was inaccessible.  I think he'll be keeping it on him for a while and getting a second gun to keep downstairs in his office.

In the end, it could have been a lot worse.  The scumbags took some damage, didnt get away with anything, and bro is unhurt and safe, if shook up.  I doubt he'll be sleeping there tonight.

Just wanted to pass this little story on.  Hopefully it helps make some people think about their preparedness and what they might do in a similar situation.

That could have cost him big time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
He needed more gun
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I think his response is understandable. After all, most people tend to view their home as their castle. Sure, in the aftermath he needs to self critique, just as everyone here will Monday Morning Quarterback it. There are lessons to be learned.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
No blading at 45

No mag dump

0/10

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Call 911

Slash all the tires on the car.

If possible, open the hood and rip wiring out.

They won't be driving anywhere.

Close the trunk, lock the doors,  secure the vehicle.   If you're lucky they left the keys in the car and thus won't be getting away with ANYTHING.

This being Florida, I'd Zimmerman them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in South Hall.  Is it near this area?  I work from home, too, and I keep my car in the garage.  I probably would have shot their tires out and their radiator to boot.  They wouldn't get far at my place.  hahaha

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then he heard a voice from his master bedroom.

He has a gun, but it was in the master bedroom

View Quote

Scary.

EDIT: Beat to it.

Glad it wasn't worse. I hope they get caught.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
In the basement you say?

Why didn't he just beat them to death with his orange dick?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If he has nice things, they'll be back. Make sure he knows that next time they will come either armed, with more people, or both (likely late at night, or another time of day, and they might wait awhile). They don't like to lose and now they have a better idea of the layout, and the treasure that can be had. It's usually the M.O., especially now that they have been dissed.

In the basement you say?

View Quote

EPIC!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm in South Hall.  Is it near this area?  I work from home, too, and I keep my car in the garage.  I probably would have shot their tires out and their radiator to boot.  They wouldn't get far at my place.  hahaha

View Quote

He's in Coweta County.  I had exactly the same thought about disabling the car.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
This is like watching a good movie with a shitty ending. Bro-in-law should of had a gun in the basement and blasted those fools.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like your bro needs to upgrade the security on his house, security cameras and a alarm go a long way
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Call 911

Slash all the tires on the car.

If possible, open the hood and rip wiring out.

They won't be driving anywhere.

Close the trunk, lock the doors,  secure the vehicle.   If you're lucky they left the keys in the car and thus won't be getting away with ANYTHING.

This being Florida, I'd Zimmerman them.
View Quote

The hardest thing to do when adrenaline is pumping is to stop for a count to 10 and assess the situation.  I bet he would've locked the doors or something on the car if he had.  Hopefully there never will be a next time, but if there is, at least he can now learn from this.

What part of GA was this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
What town?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In the basement you say?

View Quote

Because it was flamin' hot that day
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad your BIL is OK.

Shit like this is why I'm wearing a pistol any time I'm wearing pants. Had a neighbor kidnapped by a home invader and forced to drive to the bank a couple years ago. Bank teller figured something wasn't right and stalled. PD ended up killing the bad guy right there in the drive through.

Bad shit happens at home too, and bad shit tends to happen very suddenly. A gun on your hip beats a gun in the other room.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I think his response is understandable. After all, most people tend to view their home as their castle. Sure, in the aftermath he needs to self critique, just as everyone here will Monday Morning Quarterback it. There are lessons to be learned.
View Quote
Exactly why I posted it. Hopefully some can learn without having to experience it firsthand.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the basement you say?

View Quote

Rofl, cross thread funnies are awesome. You sir are awarded 5 internets

Glad he ok.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What town?
View Quote

Between Newnan and Corinth.  He's out in the country.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Just reading gives chills, must of had a huge adrenaline dump to do something like that, ran them off though. Encourage him to carry a knife on him as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I doubt he'll be sleeping there tonight.

View Quote

My wife and kids might not be but I sure as shit would be.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't want to be that guy and go all Larry Lawyer up in this, but if he had locked their door, slashed their tires, whatever, would some race-baiting lawyer be successful in charging him with something on the basis of preventing their escape?  I would fuck their car up regardless if the thought struck me in time, but it's just a curious thought.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Good metal massage on Trayvon #1.  Glad Trayvon #2 has a limp.  I wonder if popo went to ER to see if #2 is being treated.
View Quote
We all had the same thought.  I hope he broke something.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

It's probably the safest place he could sleep. They won't be back.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I can say with 100% confidence that he missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to bag a prized Trayvon. He had two of them and both got away. The odds of getting a chance like that again are slim.

Unless your in Chicago, Detroit, Dc, New York, Nola, LA,
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What town?

Man that is country.  Close enough to 85 though to be a nice little day trip from Atlanta.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Good ending.....Better ending would have been two dead thieves.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can say with 100% confidence that he missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to bag a prized Trayvon. He had two of them and both got away. The odds of getting a chance like that again are slim.

View Quote

Don't forget Philadelphia, St. Louis, Pittsburg......
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd probably be sitting up all night if i stayed there.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I work in my detached garage — I keep a gun there. Good piece of mind. You never know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I work in my detached garage — I keep a gun there. Good piece of mind. You never know.
View Quote

Just curious, do you keep it there over night, or take it in with you at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
01ers
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#42]
where was his gun?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#43]
There's a reason I keep a gun on or within arms reach of me at all times.  Stories like this just confirm I'm right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

where was his gun?
View Quote

As I said, it was in the master bedroom.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Welcome back Ben!

Oh wait nevermind
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Just curious, do you keep it there over night, or take it in with you at the end of the day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll speak from my experience.  My dad has a shop in his backyard that he keeps a gun in.  He leaves it there.  It's stashed away well, so a burglar or kid stumbling on it is almost impossible.

Advantages are that he won't forget it, he doesn't have to carry it back and forth, and it's always there even if he's just gone out to do yard work or something.  He always has two routes he can take toward a weapon.

When I can finally build a shop, I plan on doing the same thing.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, too much to lose with lawyers, civil suits, taxidermy fees, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

[You're] suggestion that we view killing people as an 'opportunity' is understandable, considering that you don't know the proper grammatical use of the word 'your.'

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I work from home... i carry my Glock on my hip in my office. Pretty much ever since i started i've been worried about a day time bugler
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top