Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 5:38:02 PM EDT
Going to riding in Mena, AR next month.  Anyone been there?   We will taking Polaris Rangers.  How are the trails?   Any advice?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a good time on our dirt bikes there a few years ago.  Should be a blast for ya.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Off-Road park?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I went you could ride on the roads from the cabins that we stayed at. The trails and views are awesome, just be sure and wear a brain bucket. Jesus forgives, rocks don't.

We stayed here several times. They have cabins that can sleep from 2 to 15, and pretty good rates.
http://www.cossatotriver.com/
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from the train tracks, don't get murdered.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch out for the drug planes at the airport
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will try to keep the family safe.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Last time I went you could ride on the roads from the cabins that we stayed at. The trails and views are awesome, just be sure and wear a brain bucket. Jesus forgives, rocks don't.

We stayed here several times. They have cabins that can sleep from 2 to 15, and pretty good rates.
http://www.cossatotriver.com/
View Quote

Thank you.  Being able to ride from the cabin was one of the things we wanted.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf Pen Gap is a decent trail around there.        

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are the trails challenging or more scenic type rides?   I have been looking at pictures on line but it is hard to gauge just by the pictures.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The trails are rated on the map. Some are pretty difficult while others are just a Sunday cruise. I always went on an atv and never had a problem, but someone could get in over their head pretty quick if they were fairly new to riding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are the trails challenging or more scenic type rides?   I have been looking at pictures on line but it is hard to gauge just by the pictures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've only hiked part of it, and I didn't really go all that far, maybe a couple of miles, just to see if it was gonna be good for mountain bikes.  By "decent," I meant, it's like 30 something miles of trail, which is just old logging roads and fire roads they let you ride on.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've only hiked part of it, and I didn't really go all that far, maybe a couple of miles, just to see if it was gonna be good for mountain bikes.  By "decent," I meant, it's like 30 something miles of trail, which is just old logging roads and fire roads they let you ride on.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They open and close trails all the time. All the good ones are past walking distance. One of the locals told me that when it first opened Wolf pen gap was worse than what it is now. He also said that there are some trails on private land close by that make those look tame.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

If you see a small plane land -GO THE OTHER WAY.

You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I rode with a group of dirt bikers at wolf pen gap a few years ago.  We stayed in an "A" frame cabin close enough to ride to the trailhead on the county roads.  It is mostly scenic but there are a few trails that are steep and rocky.  We had an awesome time because two of the riders were novice and they kept up.  There were a few running streams that had to be forded too that made it fun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, those delightful Clintons!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The trails are rated on the map. Some are pretty difficult while others are just a Sunday cruise. I always went on an atv and never had a problem, but someone could get in over their head pretty quick if they were fairly new to riding.
View Quote

Thanks. That is what I was wondering about.   I have been riding / off roading 30+ years but the other couple that is going is fairly new at it.  Don't want to be bored, but this is a family trip so don't need to go balls out either.   We are leaving the four wheelers at home and using this an exploring trip for later.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

You're welcome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're welcome.  

So what's the deal with the railroad tracks and murder?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Me and my dad used to ride an camp over there. You could ride for a few days and never ride the same trail.

Its probably been 12-13 years since ive been though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're welcome.  

Wow!  Amazing what you can learn with google!  No idea that Mena had such an interesting history tying it to the Iran-Contra Scandle.  Will have to read up more on this. Thanks for the tip guys. Will make for some interesting camp fire discussions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Watch for signs from the Knights of the Golden Cross.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife is from there, and we get back quite often. There are tons of trails to choose from, and like the others have said you will enjoy the Wolfpen area. A group of people I know had to have a medivac after one of the geniuses who was underexperienced thought he would be Travis Pastrana on his ATV and go full rally down the trails.

The drug shipments stopped decades ago, and the airport is now pretty much a dead plane storage facility. There isn't much to do in town, and about the place you can get a beer is at Spinelli's.

All of those counties all around are dry, so come prepared if you enjoy wheat soda.

Be safe, have fun!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow!  Amazing what you can learn with google!  No idea that Mena had such an interesting history tying it to the Iran-Contra Scandle.  Will have to read up more on this. Thanks for the tip guys. Will make for some interesting camp fire discussions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

You're welcome.  

Absolutely! People have always overlooked The Natural State, but lots of national level politics and scandals have been born here, including our beloved philanderer in chief.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Yea, forgot about the dry county thing.  The best I remember is 2 cases or 2 fifths per person. Anymore than that is considered trafficking. Maybe a local will stop in and correct me if I am wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top