Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 3:17:20 PM EDT
He has written a movie script for Ridley Scott

Also, his novel Child of God has been made into a movie starring James Franco. Scheduled for release this fall.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I just recently re-read Blood Meridian. Some of the best American literature of all time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
"The Road" was incredibly powerful.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody want to embed....

The Counsellor

EDIT: Saw OP fixed it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just recently re-read Blood Meridian. Some of the best American literature of all time.
View Quote

The reading level required for that book is great. It is absolutely spellbinding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading it right now for the first time.  I was hooked after the first chapter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

That one is in my queue.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazing work.  Get the audiobook, read by Richard Poe.  Excerpt:  The Judge on War
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The reading level required for that book is great. It is absolutely spellbinding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've owned that book for about four years and I've started it over twice. I've yet to finish it partly because reading it is a bit of a chore. I feel like I've been riding the Mexican deserts after a couple chapters. Great book, I just haven't finished it.

The Road is a good read and I've seen No Country For Old Men. I own the book, I just haven't read it because I was trying to finish Blood Meridian first.

As for the movies in the OP, I'll definitely have to check them out. If any of you play video games, I suggest you try The Last of Us on PS3. If Cormac McCarthy wrote a zombie novel, it would have been The Last of Us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"The Road" was incredibly powerful.
View Quote

Not enough people saw it or read it to get the intended effect.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm still waiting for the movie. They promised, then reneged. Bastiches.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no way a movie could ever do justice to the depth and density of McCarthy's prose. You owe it to yourself to read it.

The Judge alone will never be touched by any actor now walking the earth.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's no way a movie could ever do justice to the depth and density of McCarthy's prose. You owe it to yourself to read it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out my sig line. He definitely tells a story like no other.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A heavy set Brando in his prime might have been able to pull it off. It will have to be some unknown actor who is just awesome.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Amazing work.  Get the audiobook, read by Richard Poe.  Excerpt:  The Judge on War
View Quote

This.  I'm too ADD to read books, always start 'em in the middle then skip around and try to piece the story together when I've read it all.

Loved this reading, as well as all the other CM books.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  I'm too ADD to read books, always start 'em in the middle then skip around and try to piece the story together when I've read it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My only problem with the audiobooks is that you can't easily go back to study a passage, as some dense books like Blood Meridian really benefit from.  But for just having the art poured into your brain with zero effort on your part, Poe was fantastic, even if some of it spilled out and was lost at the moment.

Quoted:
[I've owned that book for about four years and I've started it over twice. I've yet to finish it partly because reading it is a bit of a chore. I feel like I've been riding the Mexican deserts after a couple chapters. Great book, I just haven't finished it.

Seriously, give the audiobook a try.  My review of Blood Meridian is that it is pretentious bullshit, but CM fits it together so well that it just works.  And when done in the spoken word it just flows past so it doesn't take an effort.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, that book really gets your imagination working.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top