Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 2:58:02 PM EDT
Well this is good news.

On Wednesday, more than five months after Eddie Ray Routh allegedly murdered former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and another man, he was indicted by an Erath County grand jury.

Kyle and a friend, Chad Littlefield, had taken Routh to a gun range for lessons on February 2 when Routh allegedly shot them and left both for dead.

Police said Routh, 25, then stole Kyle's pickup truck. He was captured hours later in Lancaster.

At the time, the former Marine was arraigned on one count of capital murder and two counts of murder. Investigators said he admitted to the killings and bond was set at $3 million.

Routh's defense attorney, Warren St. John, told News 8 that grand jurors indicted Routh on one count of capital murder; two killings made it a capital case.

Why has it taken almost six months? Investigators and prosecutors have been building a case, digging into Routh's background and his mental history.

Routh's mother told News 8 he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, and that she had reached out to Kyle to help her son get better.

Since his stay in jail, Routh has been on suicide watch, and had to be restrained for violent outbursts.

The indictment late Wednesday afternoon now starts a series of hearings, and a trial date will be set in the coming weeks, but the timetable is not yet clear.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad that fucker is getting charged!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course, why has this taken so long, why isn't there any media coverage of this ? Finally, does this dirtbag even need a trial ? He knows what he did, he needs an old fashioned hanging.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am too, but damn it the whole incident is more fucked up than the Obama administration.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Interested to see how this plays out, and what triggered the guy to murder a fellow veteran like that.  I wonder if this will affect those diagnosed with PTSD in the future.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
PTSD doesn't make you shoot two friends in the back and steal the dead man's vehicle. The guy is fucked in the head and likely was before ever joining the military.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am too, but damn it the whole incident is more fucked up than the Obama administration.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayep.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

PTSD doesn't make you shoot two friends in the back and steal the dead man's vehicle. The guy is fucked in the head and likely was before ever joining the military.
View Quote

Agreed.  I've read some stuff that indicates this guy had issues well before he was .mil.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course, why has this taken so long, why isn't there any media coverage of this ? Finally, does this dirtbag even need a trial ? He knows what he did, he needs an old fashioned hanging.
View Quote

It isnt news, its white on white man!

And burn that cocksucker at the stake!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I've read some stuff that indicates this guy had issues well before he was .mil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was he insane? Did he have any motive for the killing or was he even angry at Chris Kyle?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Very curious to learn what his motive was. The whole thing was bizarre, as well as tragic.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very curious to learn what his motive was.

View Quote

Paranoia.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So was he insane? Did he have any motive for the killing or was he even angry at Chris Kyle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they were gonna kill him, he had to get it on.

http://patdollard.com/2013/02/sniper-killer-eddie-routh-confessedhe-couldnt-trust-themchrischad-so-he-killed-them-before-they-could-kill-him/

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
interesting comments on this one:  http://www.heavy.com/news/page/2/  one from a guy who said he was deployed with Routh and that he was an armorer and never saw combat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going with this, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
That bitch is more of a coward than people who shoot up schools.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were gonna kill him, he had to get it on.

http://patdollard.com/2013/02/sniper-killer-eddie-routh-confessedhe-couldnt-trust-themchrischad-so-he-killed-them-before-they-could-kill-him/

IIRC he claimed after he did it that (paraphrasing) "God provided him with the means for an awesome new vehicle," that vehicle being Kyle's nicely customized truck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the PTSD thing is bullshit in this guys case and I hope he doesn't get to use it to get not guilty by reason of insanity so he can go sit in a puzzle factory for a couple of years until he's "better."  

The guy was sane enough to wait until he had the opportunity to shoot both men in the back. He stole the pick-up and made a fast get away, which tell me he was sane enough to realize what he did was wrong. Shake and bake his ass Texas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Indicted you say?

I thought we have given up on actually seeking indictments any more and just moved on to prosecuting based on how loud the screams for justice are.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#19]
That was a sad day in this countries history they were both true patriots, and hero's of the highest order, RIP
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Skin him alive and dump him in the Great Salt Lake.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That bitch is more of a coward than people who shoot up schools.
View Quote

Elaborate please? Kind of a silly comparison if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing the Walls Unit can't cure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top