Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 1:02:24 PM EDT

Fucking outrageous - These guys were crazy as hell advancing on the enemy like that. Anyone put doubts to this being how it all went down?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydA5Y86crsw

Fucking outrageous - These guys were crazy as hell advancing on the enemy like that. Anyone put doubts to this being how it all went down?
View Quote
Are they saying stetzu?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear them yelling "Stand your Ground" - Obviously Z man saw this movie
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That's how it would go down...max aggression with max firepower to exaggerate perceived size and strength...it's a SAS trademark...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Sean bean and figured they were screwed
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems to lose his head alot.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
wait so he does know the color of the boat house
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what it is like now, but when I was in, SOP was to attack through the ambush so.... no, no doubts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

not so sure I'd tape my compass to my weapon...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty interesting movie. But in real life would those guys be walking so close togehter?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe thats why they got fucking lost - Magnetic drift
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's not like a weapon is a big hunk of metal or anything
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

LUL

One does not simply walk in to an ambush

but really, what were their options? anything else and I would say they were dead
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
There have been few events in history where the people involved produced so many different version of what happened during that entire mess.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Never seen this movie before...or heard of anyone gluing a compass to the handguard of their rifle...wouldn't all the ferrous metal be, counterproductive?

Quoted:
There have been few events in history where the people involved produced so many different version of what happened during that entire mess.
View Quote

No shit !
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?

ETA: Cockdammit! Beat by 6 minutes

Badass firefight though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope 100% real. I saw it on netflix that's how it goes down in the movie.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Pretty interesting movie. But in real life would those guys be walking so close togehter?
View Quote
No.  It's a concession that movies make for cinematography.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are they saying stetzu?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they saying stetzu?  

Stand to!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know what it is like now, but when I was in, SOP was to attack through the ambush so.... no, no doubts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered about that.  It seems to be pretty common knowledge.  I mean, someone like me was aware of that being doctrine and I've never served.  Knowing that, why wouldn't an ambushing force just set some claymore-equivalents in front of their ambush position?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't the guys that served with Andy say he fabricated parts of the story or something?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Do I doubt that it went down?  No.

Do I doubt the movie accurately portrayed how it went down?  YES...but any and all based-on-a-true-story movies are suspect in that regard.

I have no reason to doubt that the SAS is capable of amazing feats of small-unit combat, and that they could win a battle of that magnitude.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Run away and die tired or attack and maybe live a hero.

People really don't like facing crazy fuckers who charge.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember every guys version sounded so different it didn't even sound like the same event. Good example of how people see and experience different things during a event.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Great movie. One of my favorite scenes too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've always wondered about that.  It seems to be pretty common knowledge.  I mean, someone like me was aware of that being doctrine and I've never served.  Knowing that, why wouldn't an ambushing force just set some claymore-equivalents in front of their ambush position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are in a well executed ambush by a prepared enemy your chances are not good.  The attack through doctrine is the least bad of a bunch of really bad options, it's certainly no guarantee of survival or success.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Much the same reason you see spaceships flying in unnecessarily freakin' tight formations, and engaging in line-of-sight combat even with weapons that go well beyond LOS.

Just the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Worth the watch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

IIRC, every guy that survived had a different account and then the SSM or someone similar wrote a book with his own version of how it happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't the guys that served with Andy say he fabricated parts of the story or something?

IIRC, every guy that survived had a different account and then the SSM or someone similar wrote a book with his own version of how it happened.

Yeah.

There are about 20 different versions of what happened depending on who you listen to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]

.My cousin who at one time was in the regiment as a rsm and died in ireland would say what is our motto and then would  say need i say more. so i believe it to be true.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Worth the watch.
http://youtu.be/gYtNAAb3fuM
View Quote

Interesting.

Although, it's kinda sad that this video basically implies that the members of Bravo Two Zero are untrustworthy.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Later an author went to Iraq to try to verify the story and it did not check out. No reports of casualties. No reports of the firefights described. They were able to track down some Bedouins who said someone shot at them in that area and then ran off. Frankly I think they made up/exagerated what ever happened. The two telling the tallest tales got TV shows and book deals out of it.

Just sayin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing i noticed.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LUL

but really, what were their options? anything else and I would say they were dead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LUL

Yup. The only thing to do in an ambush is counterattack. You may die, but you'll probably die anyway, so why the hell not? Just my opinion, though, never having been in an ambush.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#36]
U mind holdin' my blk bag while I.........

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Later an author went to Iraq to try to verify the story and it did not check out. No reports of casualties. No reports of the firefights described.
View Quote

Iraq having or not having records of the event does not really prove something one way or another.   According to the Iraqi's write up post desert storm, they won.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Later an author went to Iraq to try to verify the story and it did not check out. No reports of casualties. No reports of the firefights described. They were able to track down some Bedouins who said someone shot at them in that area and then ran off. Frankly I think they made up/exagerated what ever happened. The two telling the tallest tales got TV shows and book deals out of it.

Just sayin.
View Quote

Iraqis afterall, being well known for their ability to tell the truth about their military exploits.

The infidels are dying in droves outside the gates of Baghdad and the American command is under siege by the way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup. The only thing to do in an ambush is counterattack.  Wrong too.
You may die, but you'll probably die anyway, so why the hell not? Just my opinion, though, never having been in an ambush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LUL

One does not simply walk in to an ambush Wrong

You may die, but you'll probably die anyway, so why the hell not? Just my opinion, though, never having been in an ambush.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LUL

One does not simply walk in to an ambush Wrong

Well, I SUPPOSE you could go back the way you came, but if the enemy isn't stupid they'd block you in after you move into the kill zone, and so you'd have to attack in SOME direction. Or, I suppose you can hunker down and hope the Christ that the bad guys break off and split fairly quickly.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Although I would never question the bravery and effectiveness of the SAS, Steven Mitchells' book is fiction loosely based upon an actual event.

BTW, the Regiment is now based at the old Credenhill airbase, near Hereford.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nope 100% real. I saw it on netflix that's how it goes down in the movie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Some years ago my son had me watch this clip or something very similar.  Son was recently out of the Marine Corps, infantry rifleman, Iraq tour, and trained officers at Quantico.  He wanted me to see the clip stating that in such a bad situation, the Brits charging the enemy was the best thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking magnets.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just sayin.
View Quote

Right because the we should believe the country that brought us this guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just sayin.
View Quote

This makes sense, you'll notice that both authors, Mcnab and Ryan were able to publish their books about this event with little in the way of the UK MOD being upset about it or trying too hard to stop them, this may be due to the fact that the books were based on shit and therefore the MOD had nothing to worry about, however, later on, when Mcnab published his second book about life in the SAS before Desert Storm, where he details his training and his time fighting the IRA, the MOD tried very hard to stop him and took him to court over it, this may be an indication of which book was more factual and which was not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Ya know, there was a book long before the movie.

Long time since I read it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Worth the watch.
http://youtu.be/gYtNAAb3fuM
View Quote

What I get from this, SAS guys lie and Iraqis are honest. I'd believe half of what those Iraqis said.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Iraq having or not having records of the event does not really prove something one way or another.   According to the Iraqi's write up post desert storm, they won.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Later an author went to Iraq to try to verify the story and it did not check out. No reports of casualties. No reports of the firefights described.

You should check out the video CJan_NH linked to. Basically you have other SAS soldiers saying that the public version isn't the same as the version they gave the military. Another SAS vet goes to Iraq to try to check out the story and instead finds a much less dramatic version where they ran into local civilians and got spooked. No hour long firefights firing LAW's at APC and driving an Iraqi military unit from the field.

I'm sure they gave their versions based on what they perceived to be happening. But I think their perceptions were inaccurate and probably spiced up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You should check out the video CJan_NH linked to. Basically you have other SAS soldiers saying that the public version isn't the same as the version they gave the military. Another SAS vet goes to Iraq to try to check out the story and instead finds a much less dramatic version where they ran into local civilians and got spooked. No hour long firefights firing LAW's at APC and driving an Iraqi military unit from the field.

I'm sure they gave their versions based on what they perceived to be happening. But I think their perceptions were inaccurate and probably spiced up a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe the events portrayed in the book are accurate just based on my knowledge of the military.

However my point was that anyone who dealt with Iraqis and Arabs will tell you that the truth is a very flexible thing when it comes to them and anything based on their testimony is suspect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top