Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 12:40:04 PM EDT
So I am in northern Italy (just next to Aviano AFB for those who have deployed there) at my gmom house to visit her..

Being bored watching tv all day, I decided to go for a 3-4 hours trek up the mountain..

After reaching the summit, I started going down, and almost 2/3 back to my house, around an old road corner I stumbled upon this..

Writing says "killed by gunshot by the ennemy" and the date makes it obvious when and why..

After a few research on the Internet back home, I learned that this 31years old partisan woman was gunned down by a German MG from the village down below while climbing back to the mountain safety.

They were old flowers there, and I added a few fresh ones I gathered around.

Makes you think, we live in "interesting" time, but not nearly as dangerous ones..

I know, CSB...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing. That's very interesting.

Who knows when we'll have to become partisans, though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Puts a lot into perspective.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, if we ever have to (and i hope we dont) I hope it will be soon enough because I'm still young and don't have children..
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool stumble on. Good on ya for the flowers OP
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Americans have no fucking clue how easy our civilian population has had it since the Civil War. They've never had a city under siege for years, never had to run for their lives to the nearest bomb shelter, never had to dodge snipers so they could go draw a bucket of water from a well, never had to cut the day's meal from a horse lying dead in the street. They just don't know how well they've been insulated all this time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, if we ever have to (and i hope we dont) I hope it will be soon enough because I'm still young and don't have children..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not the way to think.

Make some kids, get them to at least 6 or 7 years old.  Old enough for them to know that you fought, and why.

America proves that making babies after the war is won makes for a shitty generation of kids.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Americans have no fucking clue how easy our civilian population has had it since the Civil War. They've never had a city under siege for years, never had to run for their lives to the nearest bomb shelter, never had to dodge snipers so they could go draw a bucket of water from a well, never had to cut the day's meal from a horse lying dead in the street. They just don't know how well they've been insulated all this time.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  Walmart being out of 22 ammo is considered a national disaster.  Try being out of food.  We're being invaded by Mexicans wanting to work in packing plants, farm fields and restaurants.  Try being invaded by the Germans/Russians/etal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I check in on a lady a ways down from us. I know her son and he is a nice guy. He shared a few things with me about her. She and her sister lived in the middle of a wood pile for years in Germany. Her parents were killed in front of her and her sister as they hid. She would come out at night to look for food killed by the passing war vehicles on the nearby roadways to feed her self and her sister. One night the soldiers burned the pile and she was forced out. She was beaten and raped until the allied forces movement forced the Germans out of the area. She never saw her sister again after the pile burned that night.

I do a little work on her land when she needs a hand. She's in her 80e now. A tree fell on her driveway and I cut, split, and stacked the wood for her. Stuff like that. She always insists on feeding me. She is a good cook and has plenty of money for food. But I'm 100% sure, every time I eat there it's off of the road. I know what raccoon taste like and I've had it there a few times along with other mystery meats. Some old habits die hard.

Never has this generation seen this type of life. Thanks for the pic OP. Nice of you to set some flowers out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So I am in northern Italy (just next to Aviano AFB for those who have deployed there) at my gmom house to visit her..

Being bored watching tv all day, I decided to go for a 3-4 hours trek up the mountain..

After reaching the summit, I started going down, and almost 2/3 back to my house, around an old road corner I stumbled upon this..

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/92292F73-A08E-4C1A-B644-C3104EB288F0-3877-00000569E7597C45_zpsb446827c.jpg

Writing says "killed by gunshot by the ennemy" and the date makes it obvious when and why..

After a few research on the Internet back home, I learned that this 31years old partisan woman was gunned down by a German MG from the village down below while climbing back to the mountain safety.

They were old flowers there, and I added a few fresh ones I gathered around.

Makes you think, we live in "interesting" time, but not nearly as dangerous ones..

I know, CSB...
View Quote

Not quite yet....but hide and watch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I check in on a lady a ways down from us. I know her son and he is a nice guy. He shared a few things with me about her. She and her sister lived in the middle of a wood pile for years in Germany. Her parents were killed in front of her and her sister as they hid. She would come out at night to look for food killed by the passing war vehicles on the nearby roadways to feed her self and her sister. One night the soldiers burned the pile and she was forced out. She was beaten and raped until the allied forces movement forced the Germans out of the area. She never saw her sister again after the pile burned that night.

I do a little work on her land when she needs a hand. She's in her 80e now. A tree fell on her driveway and I cut, split, and stacked the wood for her. Stuff like that. She always insists on feeding me. She is a good cook and has plenty of money for food. But I'm 100% sure, every time I eat there it's off of the road. I know what raccoon taste like and I've had it there a few times along with other mystery meats. Some old habits die hard.

Never has this generation seen this type of life. Thanks for the pic OP. Nice of you to set some flowers out.
View Quote

It felt natural gathering some flower there (very few in the area though) It's an old dirt road in the mountain that nobody uses anymore. There was an old plant there. Probably put there by her siblings once a year or something. Anyway, she paid the ultimate price for freedom. She more than deserved it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Times are as hard as they've ever been, just in different places.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well. You know what I meant
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  You didn't get machine-gunned on that hill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top