Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 11:47:41 AM EDT

Right forum this time for proper ranting

Backstory:

I was involved in a parking lot accident Oct 2011, where a prius was cutting between cars accross parking lanes and smashed her with my 2010 Silverado. mainly front bumped/grill was the damage, but the brackets holding the transmission cooler torqued it enough where it leaked fluid and required a tow.

Looking at trade in value for a good deal on a 2013 (i know, FGM, FBHO) and they come back with a carfax showing the accident, and an airbag deployment. Well, my airbag never deployed....

carfax lists this as two seperate line items, and pulls a number out of their ass to recommend reduction from blue book.

I look back at my insurance information from the time, and it turns out the officer hit the wrong key or something and marked it as my airbag deployed.

I file a correction claim with carfax explaining everything, and providing the body shop repair from the same date with nothing regarding airbags being needed and/or repaired, and that it was covered by insurance.

Carfax responds 3 weeks later and says they cant amend it because the police report says it was deployed, so the officer who wrote it would need to amend it. I gave them a piece of my mind about that policy for coming up with their crap to list on a carfax and she basically responded reiterating what she already said.

So I contact the police department and speak with the officer. He doesnt feel like he can change it because he doesnt recall whether or not it really was deployed. He didnt think it was a big deal, and i tried to explain how each line item compounds what value they take off my truck and i just wanted it to be correct. body shop statement was not good enough because i could have only had part of it fixed. I didnt think i could even do that with a lean on my vehicle and insurance covering it, but he assured me i could, despite airbags being required and some people decide not too... whatever

So now im waiting back to hear from the dealership if they can plug something into my truck and verify its original, or compare serial numbers or something. if carfax wont change. Fuck them, in fact, fuck them anyway for me even wasting my time. If i can have documentation from a dealer saying its original, it would at least be easier to explain private party why the carfax is wrong like it is with all my supporting documentation.

/rant

TL;DR - carfax is wrong and nobody is willing to do shit to fix it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Carfax was established to help dealers not customers.

It is only as good as the information input into it.  GIGO.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
just call your insurace company when buying a car. they can tell you all and any claims against that car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just call your insurace company when buying a car. they can tell you all and any claims against that car.
View Quote

Carfax is fucking him on the car he's selling, not the one he's buying.

Carfax is shit.  It's a racket.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carfax was established to make money for Carfax.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carfax is accurately reporting exactly what the police and insurance documents indicated at the time of his accident.

How is that "fucking" him?

It is not Carfax's fault that those reports appear to have been wrong.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's Carfax's fault because, even 3 weeks after being presented exculpatory evidence, their "system" is still standing between OP and a car deal.

The dealer can't buy the car because Carfax's report will reduce it's value on their lot (if they still want it at all), forcing them to either pass altogether, or offer a drastically reduced price.

ETA: That OP was able to even talk with the officer who authored the typo several years ago is just amazing.  My experience with the police has been that if they even bother to write a report at all, they will not return phone calls, emails or messages and that their Sergeant fully supports that behavior.  Write a report for an accident that disabled two cars, caused $25K+ in property damage and an equal amount in personal injury, and was caused by an uninsured driver who presented an expired/invalid insurance card?  Nah.  None of the 4 responding officers should have been bothered with that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's Carfax's fault because, even 3 weeks after being presented exculpatory evidence, their "system" is still standing between OP and a car deal.

The dealer can't buy the car because Carfax's report will reduce it's value on their lot (if they still want it at all), forcing them to either pass altogether, or offer a drastically reduced price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

The police report still says airbag deployed.

Whether that was correct or not, the police report STILL says the airbag deployed.

I empathize with the OP's situation but Carfax is not fucking him.  The police officer may or may not have fucked him.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, and in my experience it isn't worth the money it's printed on.  Particularly from a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I am no lawyer but if the police officer filed a false report that ruined the value of your car then it seems its his fault. I would start by getting some kind of signed document from a dealership saying the air bag did not deploy then take it up with the officers superiors and try to get the report changed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bullshit

Whether that was correct or not, the police report STILL says the airbag deployed.

I empathize with the OP's situation but Carfax is not fucking him.  The police officer may or may not have fucked him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

If Carfax is going to ram itself down every car buyer's throat (dealers and private party alike) then they need a mechanism to correct the bad information they'll sometimes collect.  Their system sucks, ergo they're fucking him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If Carfax is going to ram itself down every car buyer's throat (dealers and private party alike) then they need a mechanism to correct the bad information they'll sometimes collect.  They're system sucks, ergo they're fucking him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

If Carfax is going to ram itself down every car buyer's throat (dealers and private party alike) then they need a mechanism to correct the bad information they'll sometimes collect.  They're system sucks, ergo they're fucking him.

The accident happened in 2011.  The police report STILL says airbag deployed.  The OP should have read the police report for his own accident AT THE TIME.  He could have had it corrected before it even made it into the system.

Carfax is ACCURATELY reporting the information they have on his vehicle.  To do otherwise would be fraudulent and potentially open them to liability.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am no lawyer but if the police officer filed a false report that ruined the value of your car then it seems its his fault. I would start by getting some kind of signed document from a dealership saying the air bag did not deploy then take it up with the officers superiors and try to get the report changed.
View Quote

You would have to show that he did it intentionally.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Just like credit reporting agencies.  They'll put any bullshit from any pissant credit agency on your record with no verification, but getting it off takes an act of God.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The accident happened in 2011.  The police report STILL says airbag deployed.  The OP should have read the police report for his own accident AT THE TIME.  He could have had it corrected before it even made it into the system.

Carfax is ACCURATELY reporting the information they have on his vehicle.  To do otherwise would be fraudulent and potentially open them to liability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

What do you call it when someone accurately reports false information?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Day one
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that matter?  If the officer did something un-intentionally that reduced the value of the car its still the officers fault.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why would that matter?  If the officer did something un-intentionally that reduced the value of the car its still the officers fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vehicular manslaughter?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember kids, it's only ok for the police to file false information and just say "I don't really remember now". You or I would have been sent to the slammer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'd love to see how that goes.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Killed the quote tree.

View Quote

What makes you think the information is false?  The OP saying so?   You can always buy the car he has for sale.  People trying to sell things never fib.

**For the record, I do believe the OP but that's not the point.  Carfax can't remove that record.  It's NOT their fault.  There IS a mechanism to fix it.  Get the police report changed.  If the officer won't do it, that's NOT Carfax's fault.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not Carfax's fault.  It's the reporting officers fault.  You need to set up a meeting with the police chief and explain to him what happened.  You can get a notorized letter from the body shop stating that the airbags did not deploy to satisfy the reporting officer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dealer's dont like Carfax. When I was car shopping years ago I heard story after story of why it's not a good or accurate assessment of the history of the vehicle but guess what. . . without it, we'd have nothing and the dealers would go about fucking people over without impediment.

It’s not perfect, but it’s the best option I’ve found.

<--- This guy got 5 grand off of his 2006 TL due to the fact there was an accident report on it. The dealer knew, which is why they dropped the price significantly and instantly the second I mentioned it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Carfax is worthless. It will tell you if a car was repaired by a reputable shop or dealership with an insurance adjuster signing off on the completed work. And people will insist that diminishes the value of the vehicle. Meanwhile, Carfax won't tell you about any butchery that happened at the hands of some shade tree mechanic or We Tote the Note car lot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have to agree that Carfax has done nothing wrong here. The entire point of the Carfax system is that it relies on police and insurance data, which tends to be fairly accurate and reliable. Do you know how many unscrupulous car dealers and body shops are out there, who wouldn't hesitate to manipulate the Carfax data if they allowed a body shop or dealership to dispute information on the report? That would undermine the entire system. How many people have a buddy that works for a body shop who would gladly doctor up a receipt or two in order to help a friend make some extra money on a car sale?

It sucks that the OP is having an issue here, but you can't expect Carfax to devalue the quality of their own service in order to accommodate a few niche cases. Allowing the data to be edited or disputed without an official police or insurance report would just be disastrous and lead to rampant fraud for people trying to hide collision damage from potential buyers.

Agreed. Carfax doesn't report data from private body shops. They report data from insurance companies and police reports. You can't expect them to risk the validity of their information to correct a single report based on a body shop receipt that may or may not be accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have to agree that Carfax has done nothing wrong here. The entire point of the Carfax system is that it relies on police and insurance data, which tends to be fairly accurate and reliable. Do you know how many unscrupulous car dealers and body shops are out there, who wouldn't hesitate to manipulate the Carfax data if they allowed a body shop or dealership to dispute information on the report? That would undermine the entire system. How many people have a buddy that works for a body shop who would gladly doctor up a receipt or two in order to help a friend make some extra money on a car sale?

It sucks that the OP is having an issue here, but you can't expect Carfax to devalue the quality of their own service in order to accommodate a few niche cases. Allowing the data to be edited or disputed without an official police or insurance report would just be disastrous and lead to rampant fraud for people trying to hide collision damage from potential buyers.

Quoted:

Agreed. Carfax doesn't report data from private body shops. They report data from insurance companies and police reports. You can't expect them to risk the validity of their information to correct a single report based on a body shop receipt that may or may not be accurate.

Exactly.

Edit...LOL I was quoting you while you were editing to quote me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Killed the quote tree.

What makes you think the information is false?  The OP saying so?   You can always buy the car he has for sale.  People trying to sell things never fib.

**For the record, I do believe the OP but that's not the point.  Carfax can't remove that record.  It's NOT their fault.  There IS a mechanism to fix it.  Get the police report changed.  If the officer won't do it, that's NOT Carfax's fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Killed the quote tree.

Yes, of course I'm giving the OP the benefit of believing his side of the story.  I know carfax has a mechanism.  I also know it's not a great one.

Carfax, through heavy, heavy advertising over the years, has created a perception that their information is accurate and car be trusted.  Sure, the fine print is all neat and tidy.

The reality is that there are a whole bunch of reasons why that might not be the case.  Sometimes information is reported incorrectly.  Sometimes information isn't reported at all.  That was my personal experience with the company.  10 years ago, I bought a newer, used vehicle.  It was under factory warranty, had ~20K miles, looked and drove great.  It went through CPO certification, but I declined that warranty.  The dealer presented me with a clean carfax.  I bought the car and drove it for 4-5 years and then went to sell it.  The dealership pulled a carfax and there had been an accident, 6-12 months before I bought it.  Selling that car sucked.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I would for sure hide my dog and family members before I attempted it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, of course I'm giving the OP the benefit of believing his side of the story.  I know carfax has a mechanism.  I also know it's not a great one.

Carfax, through heavy, heavy advertising over the years, has created a perception that their information is accurate and car be trusted.  Sure, the fine print is all neat and tidy.

The reality is that there are a whole bunch of reasons why that might not be the case.  Sometimes information is reported incorrectly.  Sometimes information isn't reported at all.  That was my personal experience with the company.  10 years ago, I bought a newer, used vehicle.  It was under factory warranty, had ~20K miles, looked and drove great.  It went through CPO certification, but I declined that warranty.  The dealer presented me with a clean carfax.  I bought the car and drove it for 4-5 years and then went to sell it.  The dealership pulled a carfax and there had been an accident, 6-12 months before I bought it.  Selling that car sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Killed the quote tree.

That sucks.  Aren't you glad you gave that dealer that pretended that they conducted the actual physical pre-CPO inspection the benefit of the doubt like you're giving the OP?

Carfax (and their competitors) can only report the information they receive when they receive it.  It often takes 6 months to a year for an accident to show up if it is ever even reported.

A clean Carfax is just a snap shot of officially reported information.  That's all it is.  I want all the information I can get before I make a purchase.  That doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to get all the information.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That sucks.  Aren't you glad you gave that dealer that pretended that they conducted the actual physical pre-CPO inspection the benefit of the doubt like you're giving the OP?

Carfax (and their competitors) can only report the information they receive when they receive it.  It often takes 6 months to a year for an accident to show up if it is ever even reported.

A clean Carfax is just a snap shot of officially reported information.  That's all it is.  I want all the information I can get before I make a purchase.  That doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to get all the information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Killed the quote tree.

I've only bought new vehicles since then and plan on keeping it that way.  This isn't the only reason, but it's one of them.  Carfax will never do anything but extort money from me at this point.  I don't like them.  You do.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Dealer said my sisters odometer was reported as altered under Carfax

She was the origonal owner bought the car new

Screwed her on the trade in value too

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't the OP have a certified dealer inspect the air bag and note on the invoice that the bag is GTG?

"Customer says- inspect airbag for functionality"

"Inspected- operational"

Charge: $87.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Can't the OP have a certified dealer inspect the air bag and note on the invoice that the bag is GTG?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Customer says- inspect airbag for functionality"

"Inspected- operational"

Charge: $87.00
I am waiting to hear from my guy at the dealership to see if they will do just that.

I wasnt supplied with a police report at the time of the accident, if i wanted a copy, i had to go to the department and pay for it (a couple bucks for administration fees or whatever) I didnt need it because it was cut and dry the other drivers fault, she was cited for reckless driving, and my truck was being fixed. about 2 months later, I got the bill for "cleanup" from the department, and I gave that to the insurance company. The other drivers insurance didnt want to pay, THEN I got the police report to remind them of exactly what happened. My truck had been fixed for 6 weeks, and I didnt even think about looking it over for an error.

I have pictures of the accident, but i didnt think to take a picture of the interior to show what wasnt fucked up

now i know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top