Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:31:02 AM EDT
I have finally stepped into the modern world and bought myself an HD TV and now I'd like to get myself a new game console.  

I know with the "which gun to buy" threads it all comes down to what you want it for so I will give you that info.  The only games I will purchase will be current versions of Tiger Woods Golf and Madden.  I'd also purchase the most recent version of Gran Turismo if they are still offering it, I haven't kept up with games since playing Gran Turismo 2 or 3 on my old Playstation 2 probably 10 years ago.  

The Xbox is already far more appealing due to it's $100 cheaper price and the fact I already own a BluRay player.  Is the PS3 a better machine?  Is it less failure prone than the 360?  

I realize PS4 and Xbox1 are coming soon and they are the latest and greatest but I really have no interest in trying to stay current or buy a $500 console.  I just want to play some Madden or Tiger Woods when I have some free time just to have some fun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Old PS1 junkie here... and I will never go back to PS!  

Xbox 360 is the way to go, and I would suggest the 250Gig HD because you will need the space.  BF3 by it's self uses 21 Gigs!  
Right now they are giving away free games every week (Downloads)
You can also pick up plenty of used games for cheap!

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
xbox. more support and more games. it has to be good for people willing to shell out money to play online with it.  None the other can say the same
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Have owned both. Never had either machine fail me.

Xbox support sucks
Is a louder machine
People seem to like Live better
Plenty of disk swapping.

PS3 is very quiet
Never had to use Sony support
More data on a single disc allows for little to no disk swapping ( I've never had to swap a disk )

In the end, I'll vote PS as it suits me better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
360, look at Forza 4.  =]  In before the XBL vs PSN flamers. Own both, only buy PS3 exclusives for the PS3.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with X-Box 360.  Yes, there were some hardware problems earlier on, but they seem to be resolved now (finally).

Online gaming requires a 50 dollar per year fee, but in my opinion, its worth it.  From what I've heard, PS3's online setup isn't nearly as nice.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I own both and the superior system is EASILY the PS3.

The 360 I bought in 2009 broke twice in the first 3 years.  Meanwhile I've owned the same PS3 for the better half of a decade without a single problem (knock on wood).

The only reason I would suggest going with an xbox is if you want to play games online with your friends and they all have xboxs.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only games I will purchase will be current versions of Tiger Woods Golf and Madden.  I'd also purchase the most recent version of Gran Turismo if they are still offering it, I haven't kept up with games since playing Gran Turismo 2 or 3 on my old Playstation 2 probably 10 years ago.
View Quote

Do not buy the current version of Tiger Woods (TW14).  Just read a few of the "patch" threads on here and you'll understand.  

I like my PS3, but I have almost no time to play video games these days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
PS3.  No subscription fees, plenty of games.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thread needs a poll.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
PS4 is coming out at the end of the year, can you hold off? Maybe a used PS3 from ebay or something to hold you over?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I would say get the PS3 for the exclusives...but that doesn't seem to be a factor if you're only going to play Madden and Tiger Woods.

If you're a baseball fan, MLB The Show (PS3 exclusive) is the best console baseball game by a large margin.

Quoted:
I'd also purchase the most recent version of Gran Turismo if they are still offering it, I haven't kept up with games since playing Gran Turismo 2 or 3 on my old Playstation 2 probably 10 years ago.  
View Quote

The latest Gran Turismo was a pretty big disappointment.  I prefer Forza on the the 360.

You'll probably be better off saving money and getting the XBox.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Xbox sucks. Ive owned 3, and they all crapped out on me. Only way I would own one is if it was free.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
If you only want Madden, Tiger Woods and Gran Turismo, get the PS3. I don't believe XBOX has Gran Turismo and if that's your sticking point, get the PS3 so you can play the games you want. In addition, I would pick Uncharted and The Last of Us (PS3 exclusives).

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]
PS3 .  I got one when they first came out and it still runs perfectly.  My friends have all had multiple xbox 360s break on them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a PS3 because of better graphics and they don't get the red ring of death.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Xbox sucks. Ive owned 3, and they all crapped out on me. Only way I would own one is if it was free.
View Quote

Yeah. I have owned 3.

First and second crapped out but were replaced for as I had a warranty.

Last one was fried in an electrical storm. Not replacing it with another 360.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]
at this point i would wait for a Xbox one or a PS4
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy what your friends have so you have a community to play with.  Both machines do the exact same thing, entertain you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#19]
XBOX One comes out in 4 months or so.  Even if you don't want an XBOX One, you'll be able to pick up a 360 for pennies on the dollar at that time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#20]
This is just like asking who's better, chevy/ford...

I own both, and have them hooked up the same ways to identical 60" tv's. Graphics and sound are pretty much the same to me, down load content goes to xbox, not by much. Web browsing is the same. Control layouts are pretty damn close. If I remember correctly Xbox has more connections to make. They both have some form of the connect/eye. You have to pay for live. Ps3 has a blu ray. Boils down to what do want to pay for the system, and game selection. If everyone you know has one system, go with it. Then you can play online together.

Eta: kids have the Xbox, I use the ps3
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have owned both. Never had either machine fail me.

Xbox support sucks
Is a louder machine
People seem to like Live better
Plenty of disk swapping.

PS3 is very quiet
Never had to use Sony support
More data on a single disc allows for little to no disk swapping ( I've never had to swap a disk )

In the end, I'll vote PS as it suits me better.
View Quote

+1 for PS.  

I own both.  XBOX 360 doesn't have more games, and in fact there are titles that you can only get on PS3 like Last of Us and the Uncharted series.

PS3 graphics are noticeably better, and it has a blu-ray player built in.  I don't really use XBOX Live much.  

Also, PS4 will be $400, not $500.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy what your friends have so you have a community to play with.  Both machines do the exact same thing, entertain you.
View Quote

I think that's kind of like saying a Hi-Point and a Glock do the exact same thing, shoot bullets.

Yes, that's true, but reliability is an important factor to many people.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I've owned both.  My Xbox 360 has broken twice.  I didn't bother to fix the second time.

The PS3 has been flawless.  The PS3 also had more exclusives that I cared about.

That said, most of my gaming is on a PC.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#24]
After debating myself I went with a ps3 despite all my friends having a xbox 360

Bluray and no pay to play online were huge factors for me.

But really I liked the game line up better. Some of my favorite games are ps3 exclusives. Uncharted series, God of War series and the Ratchet and Clank series were some of my favorite games.

It feels like more adult players are on the ps3 and I especially notice it when I play Battlefield 3 on the different systems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Dark Souls is available on both, so its a moot point.

That being said, I prefer the exclusives (including Demons Souls) better on the PS3
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I own both and the superior system is EASILY the PS3.

The 360 I bought in 2009 broke twice in the first 3 years.  Meanwhile I've owned the same PS3 for the better half of a decade without a single problem (knock on wood).

The only reason I would suggest going with an xbox is if you want to play games online with your friends and they all have xboxs.

View Quote

Same here .
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
ps3
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

PS3.  No subscription fees, plenty of games.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Play station controllers are terrible compared to Xbox controllers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Play station controllers are terrible compared to Xbox controllers.
View Quote

Bought PS3 slim for a great deal a couple of years ago to use exclusively as a blu-ray player.  Just got a game for the first time this month.  Power supply is failing and I think it's had relatively little use.  I think mine came from a bad time period though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally I want a PS3 for Gran Turismo and The Last of Us. I'll probably get one when the PS4 comes out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Xbox 360 wins by default.....Forza 4.  I grew up playing GT on PS1 and PS2....but they suck a bag of dicks compared to what Turn 10 and Microsoft has done with Forza.  My xbox 360 slim runs great, isn't loud like some folks are saying. It's bit over 2 years old with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Old PS1 junkie here... and I will never go back to PS!  

Xbox 360 is the way to go, and I would suggest the 250Gig HD because you will need the space.  BF3 by it's self uses 21 Gigs!  

Right now they are giving away free games every week (Downloads)

You can also pick up plenty of used games for cheap!

View Quote

Seconded, but if you're technically inclined:

- Buy the 4gb model with no hard drive
- Get a WD Scorpio Black off NewEgg for $40, 7200rpm. Lists of the compatible drive models are on the web.
- Get the MS boot sector loader from many places on the web, free, and easy to install, just need a SATA cable

For $100 less than the official MS drive, you'll have one that's 7200rpm rather than the official 5400rpm.

Been running that for years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Xbox 360 wins by default.....Forza 4.  I grew up playing GT on PS1 and PS2....but they suck a bag of dicks compared to what Turn 10 and Microsoft has done with Forza.  My xbox 360 slim runs great, isn't loud like some folks are saying. It's bit over 2 years old with no issues.
View Quote

Link

Direct video link

My last Xbox was a 2010 Falcon chipped model. No clue if they have quieted down.

Scroll down a few posts and there's video. It's a well known occurrence.  PS3 is a bit quieter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link

Direct video link

Scroll down a few posts and there's video. It's a well known occurrence.  PS3 is a bit quieter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Direct video link

The drive is loud if you have the thing siting on a wooden enclosure like a cabinet. Put it on an antivibration pad and it's quiet. Seems to be case resonance, not the drive itself. The 360 also uses quite a bit less power than the PS3, even the newest models of both.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I have both consoles. I would pick PS3. I think its retarded you have to buy XBOX Live to watch Netflix for the 360. On the PS3, you just download the Netflix app and watch away.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#37]
PC Gaming Master Race > Console gamer peasents.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Link

Direct video link

My last Xbox was a 2010 Falcon chipped model. No clue if they have quieted down.

View Quote

I run mine standing on end, with all my games installed to the HD and it is pretty quite.  I however don't own a PS3 so I cant compare.  The only game that does make my Xbox louder then normal is Skyrim not installed on the HD.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#39]
If I was going to get a system right now, it would be a pre-order for one of the two new systems that will hit the shelves this fall. Not sure how long support will remain for the current systems once the two new kids on the block hit the street before Christmas.

If you do buy one of the soon to be dead systems, I would load  up on all the games (new and used) I could as soon as possible. With the exception of Gamestop and some online places, there is only so much space on the shelves and in the cases at Walmart, so I expect to see the older stuff go Dinosaur pretty quickly after the new systems are released and all the old stuff gets dumped pretty quickly.  Stock up on accessories too.  Previous generation stuff stayed around for a year or so, but something tells me this time the old stuff will get dumped pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I preordered XBox ONE despite all the bad press for one reason only: Forza 5.

Forza series is great fun; I gave up on Polyphony at GT4.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Wait a few months and get a PS4 or XBox One?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I run mine standing on end, with all my games installed to the HD and it is pretty quite.  I however don't own a PS3 so I cant compare.  The only game that does make my Xbox louder then normal is Skyrim not installed on the HD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link

Direct video link

With the game installed on the hdd, it's going to be quiet. Don't install a game and the sound goes up, dramatically. Mine was bottom down on a solid base and didn't vibrate the stand it was on and and was annoying to listen to. Again this was late 2010 and I've not owned or used a newer model. My current PS3 was bought in April 2011 and uses the same stand my 360 used. I'm not playing a console war here, just giving my opinion of both consoles and they performed to me.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Another vote for the ps3 plus it has a blu ray player
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I was going to get a system right now, it would be a pre-order for one of the two new systems that will hit the shelves this fall. Not sure how long support will remain for the current systems once the two new kids on the block hit the street before Christmas.

If you do buy one of the soon to be dead systems, I would load  up on all the games (new and used) I could as soon as possible. With the exception of Gamestop and some online places, there is only so much space on the shelves and in the cases at Walmart, so I expect to see the older stuff go Dinosaur pretty quickly after the new systems are released and all the old stuff gets dumped pretty quickly.  Stock up on accessories too.  Previous generation stuff stayed around for a year or so, but something tells me this time the old stuff will get dumped pretty quickly.
View Quote

They are releasing another version of the Xbox 360 along with the Xbox One so I doubt they are going to be dropping support anytime soon.  Along with BF4, AC4, GTA5, COD Ghost, etc....there are a lot of new games coming to the 360 and PS3...they are still very viable platforms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The drive is loud if you have the thing siting on a wooden enclosure like a cabinet. Put it on an antivibration pad and it's quiet. Seems to be case resonance, not the drive itself. The 360 also uses quite a bit less power than the PS3, even the newest models of both.
View Quote

I better explained the sound issue in my last post. As for the power consumption, if you go off wiki, it shows the PS3 as lower and but no cites to back either the ps3 or 360. Also looking at other power charts from different websites, the numbers are all over the place, but I'm not concerned with the power issues and I'll take your word on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
PS4 is coming out at the end of the year, can you hold off? Maybe a used PS3 from ebay or something to hold you over?
View Quote

This.

Slow your roll, be patient. Get the new shizznit, not the old.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I own both.  The Xbox 360 has been replaced twice and the PS3 once.  To be fair, I purchased the Xbox 360 at launch and I believe the early iterations of the machine had most of the QC issues.  Also, the PS3 wasn't actually replaced but the BR player went out and had to be replaced, costing about $100.  I'm pretty certain both machines had QC issues at different times, but the Xbox 360 became notorious early on for the red ring of death issue.

I prefer the PS3 in most areas.  However, Xbox Live is a little better than the PS Network but you have to purchase a subscription whereas the PS Network was/is free.  Also, it was interesting to me that Xbox 360 games are almost universally output in 1080p whereas the same PS3 games are often 720p.  And the only other area that the Xbox 360 excelled in was the controllers.  They're a little bigger and sturdier in my hands.  However, the Xbox controllers chew through disposable batteries like candy whereas you just recharge the PS3 controllers via USB.  I also agree with what another poster said about the PS3 running much quieter.  My Xbox 360 makes a good bit of noise.

My teenage son is really the only person in the house who still plays games on the systems.  I haven't sat down to play a game in maybe a couple of years, but when I played more often I preferred the PS3.  Bear in mind that opinions vary wildly on this issue (kind of like the beans vs. no beans or 9mm vs. .40 or 45 on arfcom), so you'll likely get a bunch of thoughts from both camps.  But with both introducing new systems in just a few months, I personally would wait.  I know they'll be more expensive, but my guess is once they new versions have been out for a bit you won't see too many more games being made for the older systems.  Getting a newer system should extend your enjoyment and certainly game selection for several years.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I prefer the PS3 in most areas.  However, Xbox Live is a little better than the PS Network but you have to purchase a subscription whereas the PS Network was/is free.  Also, it was interesting to me that Xbox 360 games are almost universally output upscaled in 1080p whereas the same PS3 games are often 720p.  And the only other area that the Xbox 360 excelled in was the controllers.  They're a little bigger and sturdier in my hands.  However, the Xbox controllers chew through disposable batteries like candy whereas you just recharge the PS3 controllers via USB.  I also agree with what another poster said about the PS3 running much quieter.  My Xbox 360 makes a good bit of noise.

View Quote

FIFY. Most games are 720p native.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the PS3 in most areas.  However, Xbox Live is a little better than the PS Network but you have to purchase a subscription whereas the PS Network was/is free.  Also, it was interesting to me that Xbox 360 games are almost universally output upscaled in 1080p whereas the same PS3 games are often 720p.  And the only other area that the Xbox 360 excelled in was the controllers.  They're a little bigger and sturdier in my hands.  However, the Xbox controllers chew through disposable batteries like candy whereas you just recharge the PS3 controllers via USB.  I also agree with what another poster said about the PS3 running much quieter.  My Xbox 360 makes a good bit of noise.

I figured the 720 vs. 1080 thing couldn't be too big of a deal because I never noticed a difference visually.  I guess my next thought is why do PS3 games not just upscale to 1080p and market the output value the same way the Xbox games do?  I know people with both systems who've purchased the Xbox game over the PS3 version solely because of the 1080p vs. 720p output listed on the game box.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I figured the 720 vs. 1080 thing couldn't be too big of a deal because I never noticed a difference visually.  I guess my next thought is why do PS3 games not just upscale to 1080p and market the output value the same way the Xbox games do?  I know people with both systems who've purchased the Xbox game over the PS3 version solely because of the 1080p vs. 720p output listed on the game box.

View Quote

From my understanding, the PS3 upscaling hardware is limited and not as good as the 360's hardware. Most articles about that issue support that. You can force the PS3 to display only 1080p, but may adversely affect game play. My PS3 is setup, if it can be displayed in 1080p, it will be.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top