Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:19:34 AM EDT
from FFL to FFL?  I bought a gun online and they charged quite a bit for shipping to my FFL as they used UPS.  FFL to FFL can use USPS to ship handguns.  Many will fit in FRB.  

So I wonder why FFL's insist on using UPS or Fedex instead of USPS. Safety? loss concerns?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the USPS will ship a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They will FFL to FFL and it's cheaper than UPS I believe. I think FEDEX will only ship long guns, but I may be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They will FFL to FFL and it's cheaper than UPS I believe. I think FEDEX will only ship long guns, but I may be wrong on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep via priority mail and a FRB
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
USPS WILL ship handguns from FFL to FFL if they fill out a form i forget which one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They will.  You have to be an FFL though.  Wen I have sold handguns in the past, UPS wanted around $70, while a local FFL would do it for $30 via USPS Priority (only cost him $10-12 for the flat rate box).
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to know!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They will.  You have to be an FFL though.  Wen I have sold handguns in the past, UPS wanted around $70, while a local FFL would do it for $30 via USPS Priority (only cost him $10-12 for the flat rate box).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I sold a Sig on gunbroker a few months ago.  UPS was going to be $70+ to overnight it.  I took it to my FFL, paid him $20 for the transfer and another $12 for shipping + insurance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't go so far as to say USPS is as safe as UPS or FedEx, I would say they are no more unsafe than either of those two.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If lost USPS will not even talk to you until it has been missing for 30 days. That is BS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FedEx will ship handguns. Have shipped them that way before.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are.

ETA: If it gets lost / damaged with USPS, you are in for a world of bullshit. You have much more recourse with UPS and Fedex, as well as a much greater chance of it arriving intact and on-time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Its easier for me to go to the USPS five miles down the road.
Maybe some newer FFLs don't know they have  that option.
UPS would be my second choice
I would not use FedEx simply because they aren't convenient for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Fedex handguns without any problems.  I don't have a FFL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I sold a handgun to an out of state buyer once, it was substantially cheaper to pay an FFL here to ship it USPS versus me overnighting it via UPS/FEDEX to the buyer's FFL.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#15]
USPS has a solid reputation for losing shit and not giving a fuck about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
And misrouting it. I had a lower shipped to an FFL from another FFL. It was priority mail. 2 days it was supposed to be there. Showed up a week later. It was out for delivery then not delivered & came back to the PO as undeliverable as addressed, then sent back to the hub then sent back to the PO then back out to delivery of course it was a Saturday & was closed so it sat all weekend & finally was delivered the next Monday.. The box was pristine label clear & address clear.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If lost USPS will not even talk to you until it has been missing for 30 days. That is BS.
View Quote

That's only for Parcel Post. A trace can be initiated on anything sent Priority or First Class after 10 days. A lot of my local dealers use USPS to ship firearms and I've yet to hear any of them say a firearm was lost or stolen.
Tomac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top