Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 9:06:38 AM EDT
Customer brought in a nice old musket for us to look at, the problem being I am not that sharp on old military blackpowder rifles/muskets. I figured someone on here will know being ARF has such a vast array of knowledge.

The barrel is unrifled, .58 caliber. The front sight is cast in the top of the barrel band, and the lock plate and hammer looks like a copy of the 1863 Springfield model. There are no markings on the outside of the lock plate. Under the muzzle there is a "F 73". On the breech end of the barrel is the "V P eagle head" proofs, and on the barrel tang it is stamped "NEW HAMPSHIRE 1855"

My tiny feeble brain came up with a few ideas. I was thinking it was a standard 1855 musket, but the barrel band front sight and ladder rear is not correct. I then thought it could be a 1860's contract musket made by Exter in New Hampshire, but again the features on the gun do not match up. The only other thing I could think of is a bastardized musket that was built by Bannerman from surplus parts.

Any ideas???

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea. With a bit of cleaning i bet it would look very nice.

Is it able to be shot without blowing it up?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Even after xraying there is only ONE way to find that out!

tag for sucessful ID.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for this.  I picked up a wooden barrel version of this exact gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

DON'T CLEAN IT!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

tag for sucessful ID.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

tag for sucessful ID.

The old tie a string to the trigger and hide behind a damn thick barrier method.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I am by no means an expert but the lack of any marks on the lock makes me think it is a Bannerman train wreck. YMMV, IMHO, WTFBBQLOL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a Whitney 1855 Musket.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Smells like Bannerman to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

the lock looks right, besides being unmarked but the sight is wrong and the OPs rifle has three steel bands, not two brass bands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
No cleanout screw, perhaps the nipple and assembly  was screwed into the side if the barrel?  Does it look like the barrel or lock area had a flash pan ground off at some point to convert from flint to percussion?

The sight on the barrel band combined with a blank ladder rear sight and a smooth bore leads me to agree, probably a Bannerman, but they are historic guns in their own right, Bannermans Arsenal is a fascinating bit of history itself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Lock resembles an 1842 smoothbore Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the lock looks right, besides being unmarked but the sight is wrong and the OPs rifle has three steel bands, not two brass bands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whitney used a combination of surplus Springfield model 1842 barrels and production over-run locks from Whitney's earlier model 1841 rifle contracts and bear the same general appearance to the Model 1842 with noted variance of lock (unmarked), three barrel bands, wide iron forend cap, brass trigger bow with iron strap. Barrel is marked at breech "NH" or "NEW HAMPSHIRE"
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a Whitney state or militia contract musket.

DO NOT CLEAN IT.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whitney used a combination of surplus Springfield model 1842 barrels and production over-run locks from Whitney's earlier model 1841 rifle contracts and bear the same general appearance to the Model 1842 with noted variance of lock (unmarked), three barrel bands, wide iron forend cap, brass trigger bow with iron strap. Barrel is marked at breech "NH" or "NEW HAMPSHIRE"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, lock looks like a 41 or 42, front end looks like an Enfield, no big iron nose cap like the American muskets.  Maybe an Enfield barrel and stock with 42 Lock/breech?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The breech end of the barrel seems to read "New Hampshire 1853"

The lock looks Springfield-esque and the nose cap seems Enfield-ish.  

I don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Agreed, lock looks like a 41 or 42, front end looks like an Enfield, no big iron nose cap like the American muskets.  Maybe an Enfield barrel and stock with 42 Lock/breech?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a look at this:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
it is weird that the lock is not marked in anyway
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

it is weird that the lock is not marked in anyway
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does look more like an 1853 on the tang instead of an 1855.

OP,

Does the bbl look sleeved?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OP,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP,

Barrel didn't appear to be sleeved

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP,

Interesting. The New Hampshire Good and Servicable musket was in 69 caliber.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump for the evening pandas
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you thinking of pawning it, or selling it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Rear sight is from a Sharps M1853 carbine or rifle.
My vote's for a Bannerman special.

rongorongo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top