Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I reckon folks can twist the Word around any way they want to suit their own selfish needs. My Bible says not to harm the little ones and that God knew us in the womb. Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I reckon folks can twist the Word around any way they want to suit their own selfish needs. My Bible says not to harm the little ones and that God knew us in the womb. Good enough for me.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Precisely.

People who don't know anything about the Bible, yet presuming to lecture us on what it says and/or teaches is to the extreme.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My prediction.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
pretty sure babies are covered under the not murder your neighbor clause
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

/thread

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup... How about the whole murder is a sin? Everyone seems to forget that little commandment...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP. I'm sure we'll settle it this time!!  

ETA: And, beaten by the Dutchman.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
In before the trollers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
What about Numbers 5:11 ?

What about Exodus 21 ?

Seems to me that God does not consider a fetus the same as a physically born person.

I realize these facts drive most Christians - of which I consider myself - crazy.  I however
am not driven crazy.  God told me I don't know and cannot know what is in his mind.

PS:  How many believers herein think it matters what is said in the book?  Is the book
just a general framework for you or do you believe in it literally?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#14]
My bible says murder is bad...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post nails it.  I can't add anything to that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My bible says murder is bad...
View Quote

That is not in dispute.

Sorry to have to point out the obvious.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Even though the article focuses on the connection between Christians and pro-life ideas not all arguments against abortion are religious in nature.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
So the same god that orders the deaths of every man, woman, and child in a village. Then kills many more men, women, and children in a flood is against abortion. Not buying it.

Eta. I personally think its horrible and would rather raise my kid. Just not buying the biblical argument.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Shocking

Adam Lee is a writer and atheist activist living in New York City. Follow him on Twitter, or subscribe to his blog, Daylight Atheism.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#20]
This should be a good one.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Except for that whole "thou shalt not murder" bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm no Biblical scholar, but I reckon it has something to do with one of those ten commandment thingies.

Quoted:
Shocking

Adam Lee is a writer and atheist activist living in New York City. Follow him on Twitter, or subscribe to his blog, Daylight Atheism.
View Quote
View Quote

I'm a pro-chocie, atheist. I have no idea who Adam Lee is, but I'm pretty confident that he is functionally retarded, insane, or both.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What about Exodus 21 ?

Seems to me that God does not consider a fetus the same as a physically born person.

I realize these facts drive most Christians - of which I consider myself - crazy.  I however
am not driven crazy.  God told me I don't know and cannot know what is in his mind.

PS:  How many believers herein think it matters what is said in the book?  Is the book
View Quote

What ABOUT them?  If you have something to say, why don't you go ahead and say it?

Everything else you wrote is rhetorical hogwash.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the same god that orders the deaths of every man, woman, and child in a village. Then kills many more men, women, and children in a flood is against abortion. Not buying it.
View Quote

I suppose context has no meaning to you, huh?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#25]
It's a part of "Love your neighbor as yourself".
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]
In before DU
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What about Exodus 21 ?

View Quote

Exodus 21 says that in causing serious injury or death to a fetus that an eye for an eye, a life for a life should be taken in kind.  That sure seems consistent.

ETA:
If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely[e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

The author doesn't even realize he shoots down his whole thesis with this quote, and is in fact foolish enough to think the opposite.  Sure sounds like the Hebrew God treats injuries to a fetus exactly the same as an injury to an adult.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#28]
12pgs,....
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Being against abortion is one of the earliest RCC doctrines. We're talking really really early church documents.

Council of Ancyra
Concerning women who commit fornication, and destroy that which they have conceived, or who are employed in making drugs for abortion, a former decree excluded them until the hour of death, and to this some have assented. Nevertheless, being desirous to use somewhat greater lenity, we have ordained that they fulfill ten years [of penance], according to the prescribed degrees (canon 21 [A.D. 314]).
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe abortion would fall under "Thy shall not kill"
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#31]
FBHO
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My prediction.

http://i.minus.com/iLN6gwYcNZEN1.gif

View Quote

Holy fuck that gif is hilarious
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#33]
The Catholic Church is probably the largest group of Christians who are anti-abortion, and they don't subscribe to "sola scriptura."  The Bible is not the only thing that informs Catholic teaching, but also history and reason.

Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law....
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Although some degree of "interpretation" may be warranted, it would likely be foolish to argue against the pro-life crowd with scripture.

It is a safe assumption that the higher powers as described by the Bible are against killing unborn babies.

Once they are born, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#35]
6th Commandment has it covered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What about Exodus 21 ?

View Quote

"And then God said to Moses"

Sorry, but people who pick random verses out of context (and not even meaningful ones) have their heads stuck where the sun don't shine.

Abortion is morally repugnant whether you're a believer or not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Something tells me it was covered in the 10 Commandments.  You know...............the little part about "Thou Shall Not Kill/Murder".
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Catholic Church is probably the largest group of Christians who are anti-abortion, and they don't subscribe to "sola scriptura."  The Bible is not the only thing that informs Catholic teaching, but also history and reason.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law....

The catholic church at the time was striving for power. What easier way to get power than ready made followers? Same as today the liberals infect children in schools.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What ABOUT them?  If you have something to say, why don't you go ahead and say it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about Exodus 21 ?

If abortion is murder why would Yahweh instruct rabbis to perform them?

Why is the punishment for causing a miscarriage not death but accidentally killing a kid is?

PS:  IF you don't have a Bible for reference there are many internet sites that let you read the word on-line.
That is why I posted the references but not the words.  People need to read the bible, I only hoped
to give them a reason to do so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#40]
The author claims to be an atheist [ at the bottom of the page ] but sure appears to have spent a lot of time to discredit the Bible. Just another jerk with an axe to grind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda hypocritical in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The catholic church at the time was striving for power. What easier way to get power than ready made followers? Same as today the liberals infect children in schools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation needed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why is the punishment for causing a miscarriage not death but accidentally killing a kid is?

PS:  IF you don't have a Bible for reference there are many internet sites that let you read the word on-line.
That is why I posted the references but not the words.  People need to read the bible, I only hoped
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about Exodus 21 ?

The punishment for miscarriage IS death, if the fetus dies.   Why do you suck at reading?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#44]
How I picture the OP...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at how dumb this statement is.

Look at it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#46]

What did the Bible say on beans in chili or 9mm vs. 45?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Everyone here should read the original oath of hippocrates
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I had to guess, no beans as it was so in Genesis, and 45 as it is God's calibre.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shun the heathen that casts legumes amongst the flesh as you would shun the unbelievers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's hypocritical about mentioning context?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top