Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:13 AM EDT
I have my eight year coming up and wanted to take the wifey out for dinner. We have been to the capital grille a few times and have enjoyed the private dining. How does everyone else enjoy the others? Any other restaurant suggestions? No McDonald's, Burger King, White Castle crap.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally think Ruth's Chris is overrated.

ETA:  You know the rules, OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics of wife.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Of those choices, Mortons.  But why a chain?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Have always had a wonderful meal at the Capital Grille.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you not have any really nice non-chains in your area?  They tend to be a little nicer than the middle of the road places you named.  Out of that list Capital Grille without a doubt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Ruth Chris Ribeye best steak I've ever had. Its all I get there, if you haven't had it yet, don't knock it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics of wife.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Have been posted before :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Chain food is going to vary greatly by location.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
What city?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you not have any really nice non-chains in your area?  They tend to be a little nicer than the middle of the road places you named.  Out of that list Capital Grille without a doubt.
View Quote

I have a smaller place called black stone by me where they bring you a lava hot rock and you cook your food on it. Good eats there but we have been there quite a few times.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ruth Chris Ribeye best steak I've ever had. Its all I get there, if you haven't had it yet, don't knock it!
View Quote

I have.  And it was good.  But worth the price?  Not in my estimation.  I've steaks as good or better for half the price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Flemings FTW.

Ruths Chris's butter steak is horrible, plus I hate the al a carte menu
Never been to Capital
The son of Morton's  is a dickhead
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey OP - you do not tell us what part of the country that you are in.....

You can not go wrong - but make a road trip out of it and stay at a B&B - then go find a nice place to eat.

St. Augustine, Savannah, Charleston, Key West all come to mind

Red

rulzes are rulzes - you know the drill
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What city?
View Quote

Located in Michigan but those are all in Troy. We live about an hour north of there by flint.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#16]
NVM

Pics or shens
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#17]
St Elmo's.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Located in Michigan but those are all in Troy. We live about an hour north of there by flint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What city?

Sorry, that AO is not in my wheelhouse.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Pic for you asshats

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Been to Ruths Chris once.  The sixty dollar steak was not even close to what was described in the menu or what I had ordered.  I was the guest of a good friend who was treating me or I would have been much more 'firm' to the manager about how badly they messed up my simple order.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I can only give you my personal experiences.

Ruth's: had a really nice ribeye there and the sides were excellent, especially the potatoes au gratin.

Capital: Ordered their signature steak and twice they brought it out well done when I originally ordered it medium rare. Family was done eating so I said just give me a burger please, screw the steak. The manager apologized, comped us sides and desserts up the wazoo but the fact remains they ruined my families meal that night and the price tag was still quite hefty.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What city?

OP - I am so sorry to hear that - LOL

can not help you then......

Red

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been to all three, but would personally go to a non-chain place. Of the three, I prefer Capital Grille.

Your wife is a doll, btw. Good idea to treat her to the best!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
My vote is for RC but its not what it used to be, portions seem to get smaller & smaller.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#25]
You're not too far away

Stillwater Grill is usually voted best restaurant in the local paper's contest every year, I wouldn't know as I don't eat out a lot. Reservation is probably needed, the place is usually packed.
After dinner, you can walk out of the restaurant and stroll along Mill Pond to the downtown area about 3 minutes unless you stop to look at the ducks and geese. Some other nice places downtown to eat also, but if it's steak Stillwater is probably the choice.
Memories seems to have lost it's luster among the people, I don't see it as crowded as it once was.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Capital Grill, Ruth Chris, and Morton's are for poor people. Enjoy your poverty chain restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#27]

That's the only thing worth a fuck at Ruth's Chris. I can also make it in 20 minutes with like five, maybe six ingredients.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Capital Grill, Ruth Chris, and Morton's are for poor people. Enjoy your poverty chain restaurants.
View Quote

Where would you suggest then?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Damn dude, at least Golden Coral has matching tables and whatnot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ehhh that's at a family gathering lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have.  And it was good.  But worth the price?  Not in my estimation.  I've steaks as good or better for half the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a fair assessment, it keeps the riff raff out $50 for a ribeye is a lot, it still is however the best steak I've had consistently to date
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Pearl necklace.

In all seriousness, all 3 are just so-so to me.  If I knew what city you were in I'd recommend something possibly better.  I'm in Northern VA, which is where I'm assuming you are as well.

EDIT:  Actually if you are in the area, and you want to *really* take her out, 2941 in Fairfax/Falls Church(near 50/495).  Very upscale, valet parking and they even give you whole baguettes on the way out.  If you were only dating, you'd definitely be getting some after that date.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#33]
the steak I had the Vegas capital grill was the best I've ever had
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Of those chain ones, Cap Grille.  Ruth's Chris is good for their Filet (I liker the sizzle) but that's the most overrated cut on earth.  I consider it a guilty pleasure.  It's not true fine dining.  Morton's is abysmal.  The only reaosn to go there is the souffle.  Their steaks are terrible.

There are far better steak places to go than those joints tho.  Depends on where you live.  City?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I eat at all three with a buddy all the time here in Jax. Fl.  There all pretty good but best service is at RC then CG then last Mort. Up to you OP...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

EDIT:  Actually if you are in the area, and you want to *really* take her out, 2941 in Fairfax/Falls Church(near 50/495).  Very upscale, valet parking and they even give you whole baguettes on the way out.  If you were only dating, you'd definitely be getting some after that date.
View Quote

OK, dude knows his restaurants.  2941 is fantastic, although they used to be better.

If in NOVA, and you can make the drive,  Inn at Little Washington is one of the best restaurants in the country world.  Very expensive, but one of the best meals you'll ever eat.

DC also has an amazing Indian restaurant that is very upscale, Rastica.  One of the best meals I've ever had.  Reservations are often 6 months in advance tho.  They usually keep a few tables in the lobby/bar area for walkins tho.  Their fried spinach appetizer is simply to die for.  That's a top 10 dish, worldwide.

If you want a steakhouse, J. Gilberts in McLean is excellent.  Also, Ray's the Steaks in Arlington is fantastic.  Not as "white cloth" atmosphere as some of the others, but better steaks, and still rather classy.  I'm a hard core foodie, I can steer you in the right direction for any sort of restaurant from DC to Richmond.  PM me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I don't quite want to drive to DC but ill drive an hour or so
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well I don't quite want to drive to DC but ill drive an hour or so
View Quote

OPSEC and all, but what city are you in?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Right by Flint Michigan
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Right by Flint Michigan
View Quote

Sorry, saw someone earlier say you were in Nova.  Yer SOL buddy.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#41]
is that Bill Gates chatting up your grandma?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Na that's my great aunt and my dad
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#43]
The desirable answer is based on the following assessment criteria IMO.

1. The place appropriately (time, temp and humidity) dry ages the meat.

2. The place hand cuts and hand dresses the meat for the grill.

3. The place uses a stupid hot gas grill (or a blast charcoal grill).

Based on this criterion and the choices provided, I would say Capitol Grille is the only choice.

At least in DC, Mortons is the best value.  But bare in mind that is in comparison to The Capitol Grille, The Palm, Sam & Harrys, Bobby Vans, Caucus Room, The Prime Rib, BLT, Charlie Palmer, J&G and Smith & Wollensky

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange comment; you didn't  strike me as someone who has the resources to rub two nickels of his own together, obviously I was incorrect, and you are an individual of means, taste and distinction.

Now back to the grownups; of your alternatives OP, I believe the Capital Grille serves the best meal and that would be my choice.

My personal favorite steakhouses are Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, followed by Peter Lugers in Great Neck followed in turn by Prime Steakhouse at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

The meals I have enjoyed at the Capital Grill in DC and Boca Raton have been comparable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Fly to Minneapolis and go to Manny's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Capital grill hands down!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Na that's my great aunt and my dad
View Quote

Bill Gates is your dad ?!?!!?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Never been to Capital...but have been to Morton's and RC...RC hands down IMHO...The one in Myrtle Beach was amazing when I went..valet parking etc. great service,  food, I thought it was perfect.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I haven't been to Morton's or Ruth's' but I have been to alot of high end steak houses, the Palm, the capital grill, Flemings, Fogo de Chau, the Prime rib,

in my opinion, flip a coin, they are all great, and one is not really better than the others,  check out there menus and if you see any sides or appetizers you think look great, go there
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Morton's or Flemings.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top