Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 5:53:44 AM EDT
Not something you expect to encounter.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houston-woman-in-critical-condition-after-pack-of-15-dogs-attack-216692361.html

HOUSTON -- A 52-year-old Houston woman was in critical condition after a vicious mauling by a pack of at least 15 stray dogs.
<snip>
She was under an overpass when a pack of mixed-breed strays surrounded her and brought her to the ground.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]

When Dachshunds and Chihuahuas unite...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
around here stray dogs get disappeared.

"for the children" literally.

In any other context this notion of dealing with packs of strays would seem inhumane and subject one to ridicule.  But when viewed in the light of this incident it makes sense doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty frightening.

Being a country boy it is hard to imagine a dog pack that large.

We have occasional strays but they usually end up being adopted or shot because they bother farm animals or pets.

Several neighbors have sheep and stray dogs usually don't live very long around them.

Funny country story regarding a young stray that an elderly neighbor couple adopted earlier this year.

They found a gangly black and white pup half starved out in one of their meadows.

Took it home and fed it ... BOOM! ... they are now the proud owners of what appears to be a great dane mix that is mostly great dane .

We live on a one lane gravel road and their newest family member takes great joy in chasing cars.

Sooooo ...

They recruited several of us to go by in trucks hiding in the back with wiffle bats ... SMACK!

Now Pepper doesn't even come off the porch for trucks ... but still goes after cars.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

"Bring a Pole"? Why do they think us Polish are better at dealing with stray dogs than other folk?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
and that's why you need more than 7 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they were Pitbulls it would be national news. Lol.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a pack of 5 chasing people very aggressively at the Apt complex I provide security at last year. I dispatched 2 and the rest left the area and not returned. This was after Animal control confessed they were too scared to try and capture them and receving permission from local police.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]
bang, bang bang bang, bang bang, bang bang, bang, bang, bang bang bang bang, bang, bang
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#11]
"mixed breed", yeah, right
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even the Dachshund mix must be kept under constant surveillance.

They're out there, lurking................

uh oh. That Skittles gif put me in timeout.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
and that's why you need more than 7 rounds.
View Quote

And open carry.

I never go hiking without a stainless Security Six on my pack belt, because it's just a useful tool. And it sucks that you're still not allowed to do that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Daschuahuas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daschuahuas?

Interestingly enough, where I live there are a lot of chihuahua mixes. They are uniformly better tempered and pleasanter than the chihuahuas.

ETA - typo
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the line in the article where the "suspected leader" of the pack is a "pit bull cross".

I thought about posting the title as "Pit Bull Leads Pack of Dogs in Mauling and Devouring Houston Woman". LOL
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pitbull mix appears to be the alpha according to the article...

ETA:  7 seconds...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pretty frightening.

We have occasional strays but they usually end up being adopted or shot because they bother farm animals or pets.

Several neighbors have sheep and stray dogs usually don't live very long around them.

Funny country story regarding a young stray that an elderly neighbor couple adopted earlier this year.

They found a gangly black and white pup half starved out in one of their meadows.

Took it home and fed it ... BOOM! ... they are now the proud owners of what appears to be a great dane mix that is mostly great dane .

We live on a one lane gravel road and their newest family member takes great joy in chasing cars.

Sooooo ...

They recruited several of us to go by in trucks hiding in the back with wiffle bats ... SMACK!

Now Pepper doesn't even come off the porch for trucks ... but still goes after cars.

View Quote

We had a new family move in and I was heading to the trailhead on my dirt bike (nice fresh knobbies) when their dag came screaming down the hill and tried to stop to chase me and overshot resulting in me running it over, the thing took off yelping. That dag doesn't even leave the porch when I go by now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Neva been done befo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pretty frightening.

Sooooo ...

View Quote

This line matches your username perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pack leader was a pit mix.....

ETA: Beat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubtful. I'm sure it would be local news... kinda like this story.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Unpossible, pit bulls are such loving and caring animals, why just the other day I had to shoot one because he was so full of love and affection!

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#23]
So, now we know what the Houston mortuary does with the unclaimed bodies and pro-bono funerals.  Slightly used caskets anyone?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Too bad it didn't happen in front of a donut shop.

Those dogs would have been toast!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In any other context this notion of dealing with packs of strays would seem inhumane and subject one to ridicule.  But when viewed in the light of this incident it makes sense doesn't it?
View Quote

It makes sense if you've ever seen a feral dog pack.  Saw one on campus that scared the hell out of me.  Snapping and snarling as they moved along.  Poor things, it wasn't their fault.  They were cute little puppies adopted on a whim by college punks and abandoned at the end of the school year.  No one loves dogs more than I do but that whole pack should have been captured and humanely put down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Daschuahuas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daschuahuas?

Chiweeeenies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

People used to say I was crazy when I was asked what to do first when TSHTF, because I would answer "Shoot all the dogs."  I used to day that because I'd learned that in the Air Force when I had to serve as a Disaster Preparedness augmentee.

Part of what we had to do was learn post-nuclear attack recovery and one of the items covered was the THREAT of feral dogs to humans when the dogs formed into packs.  The solution the manual gave was to shoot any and all dogs running loose, to eliminate the likelihood of the dogs forming packs, and to do it soon before the dogs had become fully feral.

If the dogs became totally feral they would become dangerous to humans and would also not be as likely to come near humans unless on the attack.  When the dogs still retained their domestic traits they would likely come to humans and be easier targets for those trying to exterminate them.

This incident is a good example of why that was put into that manual.  And I understand it was based on lessons learned in North Africa when US troops were attacked by packs of feral dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top