Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 3:28:00 AM EDT
................................................instead of the "Rural Purge", we had kept those good ole shows?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("Green acres is the place for me. Farm livin' is the life for me. Land spreadin' out so far and wide, Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside......"--lyrics, (w,stte) "Green Acres")
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, Archie Bunker couldn't even save us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Petty Coat Junction?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, would he be the cause?

The Rural Purge tossed out the shows about country life and brought in things like "All in the Family".
_______________________________________________________________________________________
("Starchie, as a liberal, I'm really worried."--Meathead and when Starchie says not to worry about him, "Who's worried about you? I'm worried about me! Deep down, I agree with you!", (w,stte), "Gall in the Family Affair", a MAD satire)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Rural Purge tossed out the shows about country life and brought in things like "All in the Family".
_______________________________________________________________________________________
("Starchie, as a liberal, I'm really worried."--Meathead and when Starchie says not to worry about him, "Who's worried about you? I'm worried about me! Deep down, I agree with you!", (w,stte), "Gall in the Family Affair", a MAD satire)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting theory. They used a show with a staunch curmudgeon as an antagonist  to the new order to smooth the transition and make conservatives more comfortable and accepting to the leftist regime.   Those bastards!!!1!1!!!111
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting theory. They used a show with a staunch curmudgeon as an antagonist  to the new order to smooth the transition and make conservatives more comfortable and accepting to the leftist regime.   Those bastards!!!1!1!!!111
View Quote

Not sure if it classifies as a "theory".

I was just watching the cannon salute on the news yesterday for the new kid on the block and was remembering a Green Acre episode where they did a 21 gun salute for some visiting royalty.....that went on all day....because they only had one cannon and one cannon ball and after each shooting of the cannon, they had to go out and find the cannon ball and bring it back........and I got to thinking.

One thing's for sure...................put's a whole new meaning to.............................

"Are your ready for Freddie?"
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The media is responsible for pushing rap and especially gangster rap on this nation.  The media is responsible for popularizing the trash that the hip-hop culture follows.  Kids aren't smart enough or are too socially insecure to stand out from the "norm" and be normal people.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[I was just watching the cannon salute on the news yesterday for the new kid on the block and was remembering a Green Acre episode where they did a 21 gun salute for some visiting royalty.....that went on all day....because they only had one cannon and one cannon ball and after each shooting of the cannon, they had to go out and find the cannon ball and bring it back........

I too
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember The Jeffersons. A TV series that celebrated a Black American family's hard work and ambition as a means to "move on up".

Good Times and What's Happening as well. While these Black American families were not materially successful, they showcased good and decent characters that demonstrated self-respect and respect for others.

I know these shows were fictitious but (IMHO) today's "Black Community" could use a few more positive role models in the media.

A Different World could be considered positive as well but by that time much of the underlying message was; it's not your fault, it's the White Man's fault
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought when the show first came out it was written for the audience to laugh at Archie. As it became more popular the writers discovered the audience was laughing with Archie instead of at him. The tone of the show changed after that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would pay money to see a modern remake of that series.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've often think the same thing, will never happen.

Was watching blazing saddles the other day. Oh boy zero chance in hell that would have made it now a days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Green Acres was a funny show, but most of those "rural shows" were painfully corny.  I think it was a just a shift in the what the audience wanted.  And now, I don't think keeping Mayberry RFD on the air would have made a difference.

Quoted:

I was just watching the cannon salute on the news yesterday for the new kid on the block and was remembering a Green Acre episode where they did a 21 gun salute for some visiting royalty.....that went on all day....because they only had one cannon and one cannon ball and after each shooting of the cannon, they had to go out and find the cannon ball and bring it back........and I got to thinking.

One thing's for sure...................put's a whole new meaning to.............................

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Green Acres was a funny show, but most of those "rural shows" were painfully corny.  I think it was a just a shift in the what the audience wanted.  And now, I don't think keeping Mayberry RFD on the air would have made a difference.

*snip*
View Quote

But you have to acknowledge the massive resurgence of rural based entertainment recently. Duck dynasty, swamp people, etc.

Plus country music is becoming more mainstream well beyond what Garth Brooks did. True it is more pop country, but that is to be expected.  It has led to more people digging into the realms of Waylon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But you have to acknowledge the massive resurgence of rural based entertainment recently. Duck dynasty, swamp people, etc.

Plus country music is becoming more mainstream well beyond what Garth Brooks did. True it is more pop country, but that is to be expected.  It has led to more people digging into the realms of Waylon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snip*

Well, I'd say that the new entertainment model empahsizes niche markets.  What's the audience for those shows?  It's pretty damned small by comparison to when the Big Three were all there was on TV. The new paradigm is smaller audiences and lower production costs (why we have these inane "reality" shows).

There's also plenty of "urban" entertainment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top