Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 3:23:55 AM EDT
Can you get a "hangover" from hydrocodone?

I've got a nasty upper respiratory cold with a cough right now, and was given a prescription for cough syrup with hydrocodone last week. Last night was the first time I took any due to my cough being pretty persistent and keeping me awake.

I woke up this morning feeling nauseous and kind of dizzy. This is new to me and I was wondering if it's a reaction to the cough syrup.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
i never did. but sadly i've had so much it's more like advil now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I woke up this morning feeling nauseous and kind of dizzy. This is new to me and I was wondering if it's a reaction to the cough syrup.
View Quote

You got Roofied.  Hope you weren't hanging out with a Sailor.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Normal side effects of the medication
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep pretty normal.  For me it was always splitting headaches, which then reminded me "Hey time for my dose..." pain gone and flying high again.

Opiates are the devil.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you can.  I was prescribed vicodin last year for a knee injury and had to take 4 a day for nearly a whole week..the first day I went without I had a headache like I had drank cheap booze all night.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Take another dose, you'll be right as rain.  Chase the dragon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
take it on a full stomach .... well thats what the doc told me last night after she stitched me up because I inserted a leatherman into my hand a good ways from the webbing to the bone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

take it on a full stomach .... well thats what the doc told me last night after she stitched me up because I inserted a leatherman into my hand a good ways from the webbing to the bone.
View Quote
Youch!  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got a nasty upper respiratory cold with a cough right now, and was given a prescription for cough syrup with hydrocodone last week. Last night was the first time I took any due to my cough being pretty persistent and keeping me awake.

View Quote

Hydrocodone cough syrups usually contain two ingredients:  Hydrocodone () and chlorpheniramine maleate.  To properly answer your question, I'd need to know if your sizzurp contains both these ingredients.

Hydrocodone cough syrup preparations are different than straight hydrocodone/Tylenol (Vicodin) preparations in that the hydrocodone is bound to a resin.  This makes it very difficult to separate the hydrocodone for IV drug abuse, but this is also done to create an extended release preparation wherein the hydrocodone is release slowly from the resin into the digestive track.  This means that hydrocodone cough syrup will last up to 12 hours and you may still feel the effects the following morning.  Without going into great detail, opiates have many effects including stimulation of opiate receptors (), histamine release (which can cause the dreaded itchiness, especially in the face) and stimulate dopamine receptors.  It is stimulation of dopamine receptors that is credited with causing nausea.  Could you also be experiencing a "hangover" effect ie. withdrawal?  Possibly, but with a single dose it would be unusual.  Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea can also be symptoms of opiate withdrawal.

Chlorpheniramine is an anti-histamine but has several other effects.  Both it and the hydrocodone can cause a "dizziness", or what I call fuzzy-headedness.  I'd write more but I need to work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
thats what I said . It bled like hell and I hit a nerve , of course my trigger finger nerve so next time I go shooting is going to be interesting .
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#11]
your doing it wrong, mix it with skittles and watermelon juice drink
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
your doing it wrong, mix it with skittles and watermelon juice drink
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hydrocodone cough syrups usually contain two ingredients:  Hydrocodone () and chlorpheniramine maleate.  To properly answer your question, I'd need to know if your sizzurp contains both these ingredients.

Hydrocodone cough syrup preparations are different than straight hydrocodone/Tylenol (Vicodin) preparations in that the hydrocodone is bound to a resin.  This makes it very difficult to separate the hydrocodone for IV drug abuse, but this is also done to create an extended release preparation wherein the hydrocodone is release slowly from the resin into the digestive track.  This means that hydrocodone cough syrup will last up to 12 hours and you may still feel the effects the following morning.  Without going into great detail, opiates have many effects including stimulation of opiate receptors (), histamine release (which can cause the dreaded itchiness, especially in the face) and stimulate dopamine receptors.  It is stimulation of dopamine receptors that is credited with causing nausea.  Could you also be experiencing a "hangover" effect ie. withdrawal?  Possibly, but with a single dose it would be unusual.  Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea can also be symptoms of opiate withdrawal.

Chlorpheniramine is an anti-histamine but has several other effects.  Both it and the hydrocodone can cause a "dizziness", or what I call fuzzy-headedness.  I'd write more but I need to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn Dude, you sound like a CRNA.  I ask my wife a question about a drug and get this kind of info all the time.   I don't know where she keeps all this shit in her head, because she cannot even remember to make me a damned sammich!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep pretty normal.  For me it was always splitting headaches, which then reminded me "Hey time for my dose..." pain gone and flying high again.

Opiates are the devil.
View Quote

I was on them heavy for a month and a half (motorcycle wreck related)
I went through withdrawls for a week.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Codeine cough syrup is the shit.  You can get a great buzz from that stuff.  Just pop the top off and sit down on the couch and sip away

Fuck the pills.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Any form of hydro makes my stomach upset as hell.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Got any more? We should hang out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Have I had a "feeling" the day after?  Sure.

But never hangover-like symptoms.  Usually just lingering feel-good from the meds.  

Hangovers are primarily the result of dehydration.  Did you drink enough fluids yesterday?  Make sure you get your electrolytes, as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Codeine cough syrup is the shit.  You can get a great buzz from that stuff.  Just pop the top off and sit down on the couch and sip away

Fuck the pills.
View Quote

Trayvon, is that you?

Make sure you get your drank to mix and candies to melt down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#20]
All it ever did was plug me up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I never got a buzz from them nor felt was getting addicted to them.  They work as painkillers though
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]
make some "fire ass lean!"
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

make some "fire ass lean!"
View Quote
LOL!

I think I'm immune to hydrocodone.  A quadruple dose has almost no effect on me.  Which makes me useless for answering the question.  So in true Arfcom style, I replied anyway.  Oh look!  A chicken . . .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top