Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 1:09:25 AM EDT
Don't remember too much about it....any of you guys remember the event?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I was 50 miles north of it. I was sitting on my parents couch drinking an orange Crush when I heard the boom. I walked outside to see what had gone on. A few minutes later we turned on the TV to see what had happened. It was surreal. I remember it very clearly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember. It was only a week before my 11th birthday. I loved the pictures on TV...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
MY cars were dusty everyday for a year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was 50 miles north of it. I was sitting on my parents couch drinking an orange Crush when I heard the boom. I walked outside to see what had gone on. A few minutes later we turned on the TV to see what had happened. It was surreal. I remember it very clearly.
View Quote
You couldn't see the plume from 50 miles away, or was your view occluded by trees, buildings, etc?..
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I was reading up on Mt. St. Helens an hour ago, thinking about going to see it and maybe climbing a little.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You couldn't see the plume from 50 miles away, or was your view occluded by trees, buildings, etc?..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was sunny as I recall. Mt. Rainer blocked seeing anything. And yes, we lived in a very heavily forested area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Too young to remember it, but I've been up the mountain a couple times.  It's worth the trip.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember one day I was at the DMV in Denver and just picked up my motorcycle license.

As I walked outside to my bike, I almost didn't recognize it. My tank was dark green normally, but now my whole bike was grey..covered in light grey ash.

Really amazing that the ash traveled that far.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It was sunny as I recall. Mt. Rainer blocked seeing anything. And yes, we lived in a very heavily forested area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and all the ash missed us. I kind of wanted to get some and save it. Not even a little. Ha ha.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
this guy does

Ready to explode
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
A few years ago I had a flight out of Portland, had a window seat on the correct side of the airplane and got a fantastic view of the mountain as well as the devastated area downrange of the blast.  Neighboring mountain that's a moonscape on one side and a normal, tree covered mountain on the other side. You could see a "shadow" of normal terrain of one mountain on the side of another, with the moonscape in the unshadowed area. I don't know if anyone offers aerial tours over that area but it would be a very interesting experience if they did IMO.  I'd love to have the funds to hire a small aircraft and do some aerial photography.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I was living in Portland, Oregon at the time.  I don't remember much other than the gray ash that was everywhere for months and the news clips showing the mountain that looked like it got nuked.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Iwas in HS. Didn't see much here in MS, except on tv.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I was five years old but I remember standing in my driveway watching it happen. I also remember walking to kindergarten in knee deep ash and wearing a mask at all times.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#17]
In 1985 I flew inside the crater and popped up over the lava dome.

I took the tour the first week they opened the road to the observation tower.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I was around when it blew (I was in SC at the time).  Nowadays I just look out of my front window and see the mountain, or what's left of it, every day.  It's a great day trip for a motorcycle, but they rape you for the Recreation pass.

I live in Saint Helens Oregon and the mountain is about 40 miles away as the crow flies.

The mountain still shoots an ash and steam geyser every few years or so.  I can always tell as the highway to my house will be littered with cars parked alongside the road and folks standing around taking pictures.

A good friend was a local kid at the time.  He said he made a fortune cleaning ash from folks gutters as the weight would tear them from the house.  He was eventually shut down for not having a "permit' to do the job.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a baggie of ash in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember driving from Portland to Seattle several years afterwards and I was amazed how huge the piles of volcanic ash were. I drove along side an ash pile that had to be 15 feet high and 10 miles long or so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh yeah, I remember it well.  It was my birthday.  I was living in So. Louisiana at the time so as far as I could tell the area suffered no deleterious effects.  Although it was my best birthday blast ever, I did feel really awful about the people in the path and the people dealing with the aftereffects.  I remember the news coverage of people trying to drive in the ash, and people trying to keep clean pantyhose on the air intake of their vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I wasn't born yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Remember the old coot Harry Truman?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I was only 5, but I remember it being a big thing on the news.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I remember Harry.  His statements, IIRC, were "I've lived here most of my life and I will die here."  He was right, but that is how old people get.  It's been their safe place for most of their life and they are not leaving.  My grandma had the same view out of her kitchen window for around 55 years.  I am glad at the end she was only three days in the hospital, really only one of those aware.  I wish we could have kept her at home, but my dad and aunt, holy fuck, there's a psychiatrist training manual in their story.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#27]
yeah i remember it  

i was in high school in PA
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I do.  The power of it was pretty amazing.  A lot of TV coverage.  My dad is a science guru, so he was really interested in it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#29]
No.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I remember it on tv.  I was about 12 at the time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#31]
The family was getting ready for a scout field day in Lake Sammamish State Park and we heard the boom in the morning.  When we came back, the tv images were unbelievable.  I was young but remember it like it was yesterday..
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember it well. Landscape timbers were real cheap for several years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Here is the landslide that preceded the eruption

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep, got out of school for awhile.  Had to wear a mask outside for a number of weeks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I moved there a few years later and recall the piles of ash lined up along I-5. I went to the top and spent a day hiking around. Later I had a cabin & 10 acres on the southern side of Lake Merwin, which is one of the reservoirs just below it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Those people should have left.. never stood a chance against the  blast... I remember it well..
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't remember too much about it....any of you guys remember the event?
View Quote

I remember being scared out of my mind. The stories my child mind heard were sleep depriving. And I was in San Diego.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Not only do I remember watching it on TV...

Was in Portland last week, so I rented a plane and flew over it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:00:46 AM EDT
[#39]
"Vancouver!  Vancouver!  This is it !!"

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#40]
We lived near Mt St Helens.  We got a call from a neighbor to "grab your kids and keys and run!"

They drew a new line for the Red Zone and our place was 15 miles inside it.  They had the National Guard manning roadblocks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I was living in Oak Harbor at the time. Heard it very clearly. Oddly, the ash never reached Oak Harbor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather lived in Missoula, MT at the time.  He sent us a couple of vials filled with ash that he collected off of his window sills.  I was expecting something like campfire ash, but it's like the finest powder I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:08:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Yup, old enough for that.

But not too old

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Sure; my wife had spent some time in the area some years before and due to the event I got to hear all about her time there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#47]
It was a bright sunny sunny day on Sunday, May 18, 1980.  I was in church with my family.  We were near the end of mass when the sunlight through the stained glass windows began to fade, like a storm cloud moving in.  The whispers of the children and parents turned to talk of a storm delaying any outdoor activities that day.

Then at the end, the priest told us the mountain had erupted.  The whispers got louder as people began asking questions that few could answer.  We streamed out of church; some to their cars, the others (like me and my family) walked in the falling ash towards home wondering if the ash was bad for our lungs are we used old tissues as a makeshift mask to keep from inhaling the ash.

Once home the television went on and we watched as the news talked about Mt. St. Helen's erupting with pictures of the mountain (or what was left of it) and the state of emergency that now faced us all.  My mom went tot he store to get supplies while my dad was glued to the television.  My older brother was on the phone talking to a friend while I went to my room and did what little kids did.

It was a surreal experience to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw it from Vancouver, WA.        

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes. Remember it well. Lived in east bay area. I used to have a jar of ash somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I remember driving to work every day and listening to the updates on the radio.  Every day listening to see if there was some indication of when it was going to go.  Once it did, the video from the towns was amazing.  The darkness and the amount of ash in the air filter housings of cars was impressive.  The before and after pictures are incredible.  If this happened today, we'd have some great video footage of it.  The footage we have of it is OK, but nothing like what we would get now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top