Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 9:58:40 PM EDT
I have never heard of this before.

Did an Archive search back to 2005 too.  
If anyone has any larger images please share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLAS-I

http://www.ece.unm.edu/summa/notes/trestle.html

http://www.ece.unm.edu/summa/notes/trestle_movie.html
Movie about the Atlas-1 Trestle

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have been scared shitless having to tow a BUFF on to that thing
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Look for the picture of the C-135.
They kind of missed the centerline of the taxiway.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta say, i always get a kick out this when i drive by it, even if it isn't being used any more.

Then again, there are so many cool things on the base, i never get bored.. ;)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Still standing.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty damned impressive!

I wonder if they set a Tundra on fire and used it as the tow. 'Cause a Tundra could do that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
No way OP, you are all things avionics/aviation related!

Even my dumbass knew about this thing!

Seriously cool structure though, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#8]
i was fortunate to be given a full tour of the facility back when it was still operational.

it's an amazing structure in person.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's pretty damned impressive!

I wonder if they set a Tundra on fire and used it as the tow. 'Cause a Tundra could do that.
View Quote

I love ARFCOM!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
holy crap the platform is made entirely of wood and it is glued together.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Impressive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The glue is stronger than the wood that it is bonding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
My first job after getting my Bachelor's degree was to analyze data from those tests and understand how to harden B-52 avionics against EMP.

It was on the cover of Aviation Week & Space Technology probably in 1980.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure that I couldn't legally tow onto that as my tech data requires wing walkers unless it's a properly marked taxiway or ramp.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My first job after getting my Bachelor's degree was to analyze data from those tests and understand how to harden B-52 avionics against EMP.

View Quote

I'm curious what general avionics areas required a lot of work to harden, and which if any, were already capable, if you can share.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#18]
So, how can we rent it to test out our Cars, Eotechs, Aimpoints and Airplanes, to settle the controversy once and for all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marines would have landed on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's made of glu-lam (engineered) wood, but the structural connections are largely notched or mortised joints.  In some areas there are actual wood bolts holding members together.

When I was working in the CE squadron there we were trying to get permission to dispose of it.  Glad to see that effort is moving at the speed of government.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm curious what general avionics areas required a lot of work to harden, and which if any, were already capable, if you can share.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The technology was so old that most components (vacum tubes, servos, synchros, etc.) were not very sensitive to EMP.  Boxes connected to long cable runs needed protection using transorbs.  The data was useful for designing new avionics that used more modern technology.

That was so long ago that I don't remember too much detail.  I haven't worked on EMP hardening since late 1980.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Creosote soaked wood drying in the desert sun since 1980?

Nobody light a match.

We'd see the light from here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's made of glu-lam (engineered) wood, but the structural connections are largely notched or mortised joints.  In some areas there are actual wood bolts holding members together.

When I was working in the CE squadron there we were trying to get permission to dispose of it.  Glad to see that effort is moving at the speed of government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that the cheapest and most efficent way to dispose of the facility was to burn it in place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I read that the cheapest and most efficent way to dispose of the facility was to burn it in place.
View Quote

Certainly the fastest.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the wood bolts are actually threaded, they are more properly referred to as "pins".  Pinning a mortise and tenon joint makes the joint damn near indestructible, at least as far as wood joinery is concerned.  It's a really, really old technique that most likely originated with chair making.  

These kind of massive wood structures fascinate me, and even more so when they're used for high-tech research such as this.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unless the wood bolts are actually threaded, they are more properly referred to as "pins".  Pinning a mortise and tenon joint makes the joint damn near indestructible, at least as far as wood joinery is concerned.  It's a really, really old technique that most likely originated with chair making.  

These kind of massive wood structures fascinate me, and even more so when they're used for high-tech research such as this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are threaded.

They're fastened into square wood nuts (with additional locking nuts) over plate reinforcements.  All of the fastening pieces were furniture grade hardwood.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Mark A. Miller, a professional engineer who worked on the project said "I designed most of the wooden structure as a junior engineer at Krause Engineering in Santa Fe.
We were working for the architect in Albuquerque; the prime contractor was McDonald-Douglas.
I spent most of the first two years of my career working on it.
The resin-impregnated wooden bolts were . . . furniture quality items.
We could use no piece of metal longer than 12” , and the columns were 12” x 12” with 6” pieces bolted on both sides, so the minimum bolt grip was 24”, which pretty much precluded metal bolts . . . "

McDonnell Douglas, was AeroE involved?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are threaded.

They're fastened into square wood nuts (with additional locking nuts) over plate reinforcements.  All of the fastening pieces were furniture grade hardwood.

http://www.ece.unm.edu/summa/notes/trestlepics/trestle6L.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are threaded.

http://www.ece.unm.edu/summa/notes/trestlepics/trestle6L.jpg

Holy shit!  That's fucking awesome!  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Certainly the fastest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly the fastest.

We would have had to contract it out, so it wouldn't have been cheap.  Also, the NM EPA is kinda stupid so permission would've been iffy (and even then they probably would've tried to fine us), and the state is nearly always under some kind of burn ban.  Right now residents in Albuquerque can't even use charcoal grills.

We never did scope a method of disposal, since we were still trying to get approval from OACSIM.  We never got any maintenance dollars for it, but people still wanted to use it.  One of my last little projects there was to provide drinking fountains in the offices for Big Crow.  It's a cash-sink for the installation.

I'd be all for preserving it, but only if a private historic society wanted to take it up (heck, I might even donate to that) and maintain it.  It's just not cost effective to keep it in the DoD inventory.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Put out a sign that reads:

Contrachapada Gratis!

Area will be bare in less than a week.

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I drive by it every day to and from work...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also, the NM EPA is kinda stupid so permission would've been iffy (and even then they probably would've tried to fine us), and the state is nearly always under some kind of burn ban.  
View Quote

Its the federal government's property.

The NM EPA can eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure my Grandpa helped. He worked for Sandia labs for 35 yrs. Now my aunt works there.

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  They used conduction techniques the railroads used to build wooden trestles that carry trains weighing many times the weight of a B-52 without any problems.  The wing overhang I can understand, but there are photos I've seen of 747s and C-5s out on that platform to be tested.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Very interesting. Never heard of this before.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#36]
So just skimming, I don't see any mention of actual results?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Huh! I've 4-wheeled, ATV'd, drag raced, taken shit to the dump, caused trouble, and gotten laid all within a stones throw of that thing....and had no clue
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So just skimming, I don't see any mention of actual results?
View Quote

It was and probably still is, classified.

Practically everything that happens there is Top Secret. It'a like Area 51, but more secret since no one really knows about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, the NM EPA is kinda stupid so permission would've been iffy (and even then they probably would've tried to fine us), and the state is nearly always under some kind of burn ban.  

No.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Creosote soaked wood drying in the desert sun since 1980?

Nobody light a match.

We'd see the light from here.

View Quote

It could get hit with a tracer...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#41]
An F-16A with simulated B61 was EMP tested at that facility in 1980.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Wishful thinking but oh, GOD no.

I've been in the room when the lawyers advised the wing commander that he had no choice but to follow both state and federal code, when they DIRECTLY contradicted each other.  (Wing King basically told his finance guy to get the checkbook ready to pay off the fines to the state.  Which we did, after much crying about the disruption to the triple-beaked whooperwhill's mating dance, or some such nonsense.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top