Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2013 7:47:19 PM EDT
I hear about it all the time... Hash tag this and hash tag that.  How do you do it and how could you possibly know someone is tweeting if they didn't first tell you they were?  Seems much more complicated than sending a text message on the cell phone.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You get to say whatever you want, in so many words, to a self-absorbed audience that won't read it.

The hash tags are a simple way to search for pertinent tweets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
think of it as sending a text message to anyone who has "subscribed" to you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Life in 140 characters or less. #suckonmyballs
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
#LoadOfBollocks
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And can be read by anyone else who looks for you or a word in your text message, and you can send a message to someone who isn't following you by including their screen name.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And can be read by anyone else who looks for you or a word in your text message, and you can send a message to someone who isn't following you by including their screen name.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going camping #motormouth #novagator

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Enlightenment  See you there. Don't forget your pillow. #GoingInDry  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, gayer than than a box of dicks, and lets random people who won't let so an so be their "friend" on Facebook, and lets them talk shit to each other, correct?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So in other words, gayer than than a box of dicks, and lets random people who won't let so an so be their "friend" on Facebook, and lets them talk shit to each other, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twitter enabled the protestors in Istanbul to develop an entire "how to mobilize, fight police, counteract police measures and use social media for field intel gathering" culture in under a week. It fixes the intel dissemination bottleneck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I am SO glad that I've not fallen for this latest social fagotry...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#yippekayemotherfucker
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am SO glad that I've not fallen for this latest social fagotry...
View Quote

latest?  lol welcome to 7 years ago.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand sending a text message to all your friends at once, but what purpose does the # have on phrases thatareusuallynotspacedoutlikethis ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's how twitter works.  Its like writing on the wall of a public bathroom  stall,  except the bathroom is the internet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Not the foggiest...

I think I have a twitter,

but I guess anyone can use it... #shityourmothersaysinbed
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand sending a text message to all your friends at once, but what purpose does the # have on phrases thatareusuallynotspacedoutlikethis ?
View Quote

It's a subject or topic of the comment... if you get enough people using the same one at the same time it makes that topic "trending".   They're also used sarcastically or humorously in reference to the other content.  Makes it easy to search for  comments referring to the same topic.

# - subject or topic that the comment refers to
@ - sends the comment to the username following the @ symbol

Think of it as public text messaging with optional routing information.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a low IQ and lots of opinions about stupid, meaningless shit, you start a Twitter account and share them with other like minded, low IQ fucking idiots with lots of opinions about stupid shit
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hear about it all the time... Hash tag this and hash tag that.  How do you do it and how could you possibly know someone is tweeting if they didn't first tell you they were?  Seems much more complicated than sending a text message on the cell phone.  Thanks!
View Quote

Yes and no.

1) You normally see posts made from people you follow, people who "mention" you
- you also see when people "mention" you - @yourusername <message> etc.  (kinda like an open letter)
- you also see when people send you direct messages - private  <-- This is as similar as you can get to a text message etc.

2) If you know someone's username you can read all of their public posts & mentions

3) You can click on hashtags that someone posts and see posts made by others who used the same hashtag

so yes it is more complex than just texting a single person.  but it's not intended to only be a private message between two people.  That is an option of course, but not the only one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#20]
If you think that everyone in the world wants/needs to hear every random thought that drifts through your potato brain, then Twitter is just the thing for you . . .

#nobodygivesashit

ETA: Think I'm going to start a Twitter account.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Twitter direct messages are private between two users. Much like the IM system here.

Most of you are confusing the DM function with tweeting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have a low IQ and lots of opinions about stupid, meaningless shit, you start a Twitter account and share them with other like minded, low IQ fucking idiots with lots of opinions about stupid shit
View Quote

So, General Discussion basically?

#hemad

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#23]
#OnlyTwitsTweet

#TwitsTweetTheirDrama
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you do don't check out #tittytuesday  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#25]
My mother's neighbor is a retired English teacher, and everytime a younger friend show's a tweet to her, she feels as if she's being held hostage subjective brain damage.

So after reading WTF is the rage of twitter, it's basically for low IQ or fanatic political knobs whom are very bored and think the world is entitled to their own opinions? Meh.

#idontgiveashitorcareforwhatstuckonstupidhastosay.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have different news organizations, poltical people and comedians on my Twitter feed so when I am just waiting around somewhere I will pull up and catch up on news, sports, when musicians are coming to town, etc.

The hashtag? You can subscribe to a hashtag and hear the comments from people all over the world about a certain subject or maybe a show you are watching.

For example I was doing it during playoff football games last season. It is like the funniest guys in the bar from around the world.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I like how Twitter literally enrages some of you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top