Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2013 4:15:19 PM EDT
I've never understood what the point of facebook is, how the hell it got as popular as it has, what the hell is the point?, read the ramblings of idiots on a poorly formatted site?  The only thing more pointless than facebook is Twitter:

I'm sitting on the couch.

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

Isn't that the most fascinating thing ever?

Yet people spend hours a day on that stuff, they're fascinated by it.  What's the point?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've never understood what the point of facebook is, how the hell it got as popular as it has, what the hell is the point?, read the ramblings of idiots on a poorly formatted site?  The only thing more pointless than facebook is Twitter:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

Yet people spend hours a day on that stuff, they're fascinated by it.  What's the point?
View Quote

and yet here you are on another social media site...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Communication method for idiots.

Though, Arfcom is not much different.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It's so people who are totally into themselves and think others are totally into them can tell them things they don't care about because they are totally into themselves.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
To know when your friends ain't home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Its to help build .govs ww data base and tie it all together silly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
" im going on vacation to florida, from aug 2- aug 10th ! ! !    come rob my empty house !
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Attention whoring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's the point?
View Quote

The point from whose perspective?

If I was in the business of collecting and selling information, holy shit, it's a goldmine.

As a "user", I really don't know. People are fascinated by the fact that someone responds to their twits, I guess.

Maybe you get bonus internets or street creds if Kanye Gayfish retwits your twit, like you've been noticed? IDK, SMH.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Twitter is good for following interesting people, news, sports, etc. Facebook is for communicating with close friends. Instagram for looking at cool pictures and lastly Vine is good for just general fuckery and shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I use it to keep up with friends and family.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Twitter is good for following interesting people, news, sports, etc. Facebook is for communicating with close friends. Instagram for looking at cool pictures and lastly Vine is good for just general fuckery and shenanigans.
View Quote

following interesting people and news? Keeping up with what your friends (real or imaginary internet ones) are doing?  Cooling at cool pictures? General fuckery and shenanigans?

Shit, looks like GD itself is quite the social media site...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I talk to friends and family that I can't easily visit.
I live about 1000 miles from most of my family. I work an odd schedule so people are afraid to call and wake me up but they can leave a message on facebook 24/7 and I I'll get to it when I feel like it.

If you have friends and family posting on your facebook page about gastrointestinal issues, perhaps it's the people you associate with rather than the medium?
You have total control over what you post and who's posts you see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

View Quote

Some people use it to post boring shit, turn their lives into soap operas, and unwittingly confess their crimes.

On the other hand Facebook is useful for getting or creating exposure to social events. The obvious one is organizing groups of like-minded people - for example, a book club could set up a Facebook page and then the members of the group can post the meeting schedule, updates, book of the month, etc. which is really handy for sharing info or coordinating events.

As a somewhat less obvious way to gain social exposure: if you are friends on Facebook with a wide variety of people you can get turned on to events you'd miss otherwise when they post about them - for example I checked out the Colombian Independence Day celebration this weekend because a former coworker posted about it. I ran into some people I know from dance class there even though I didn't see my former coworker. Without Facebook I'd have never found out about the event.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I just use Facebook to get extra entries in contests. twitter I use for breaking news.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Conditioning people to live without privacy.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  I used it to build up several hundred, then I unfriended most of them.  Then, I friended another 300, then unfriended them.  Now, I just have people that I really want to talk to on FB.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's so people who are totally into themselves and think others are totally into them can tell them things they don't care about because they are totally into themselves.
View Quote

Not Bad
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Communication, if you dont like it, dont use it very simple.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Information gathering by the NSA on the average citizen, what else?  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

This was my Arfcom-provided laugh for the day. Thank you sir.

Lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Facebooking stay at home moms make meth heads look like teetotalers when it comes to "addiction".
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think I've ever said this, but...

...FPNI.

Well done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]

I use it to screen potential tenants.

It's amazing the stupid stuff that people will reveal about themselves.

I literally read a tweet from a potential tenant that was "trashing the rental."

LULZ....no.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#24]
For people who have alienated everyone they talk to in person.

It is an omnidirectional outlet for verbal diarrhea, where everyone talks, and nobody listens.

*unlike GD

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. Most of my family is out of state or overseas. I really don't post much. Mostly check out pictures.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm... in the last 24 hours, I saw new photos of a friend's son, and received information on the funeral for another friend's father who passes away suddenly over the weekend.  

What's the point of communication?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#27]
To feel important
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
-Putting info out there (or looking at others info) for people that you don't have time to speak with in person, text, or e-mail.
-For keeping "in contact" with people / keeping "in touch" with people you never (or rarely) see.
-Some people use them to "know" things about people they don't really know.

I'm not on there (either one), never have been, and don't plan on it.

I don't go to "family reunions" either (impression of family reunion: see & speak to people you only see & speak to because of family reunion).
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hmmm... in the last 24 hours, I saw new photos of a friend's son, and received information on the funeral for another friend's father who passes away suddenly over the weekend.  

What's the point of communication?
View Quote
Yep. The idea (and evidently, this is a Gen-Y phenomenon all of a sudden?) of communication is to...communicate.

When you look at my Facebook feed, it's mostly my family and close friends letting me know what's up. In the old days, they would have had to make 30+ separate phone calls (some of them even wrote letters, once every 6 months). In 2013, I know what they're up to (with pics!) in seconds.

This is bad...why, exactly?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Twitter is an outstanding source for instant unedited information. Its down fall is also that instant unedited information. I knew about Boston marathon bombing and saw pictures about 15-20 minutes before it broke on the news. It might be really useful if someone decides to go on a door to door campaign to make sure our weapons are on safe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
To keep in touch with people you don't see anymore and to spread pro-gun/anti-democrat propaganda
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

*BOOM*

Headshot.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
It's all in how you set it up.  I see all kinds of cool shit on Facebook.  Plus I keep up with the friends and family.

My niece has been posting photos from Paris all day, can't really do that over the phone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Look at me! I'm on the interweb!!!

I"m special!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

View Quote
If that was what you got out of it, then you have some real dipshits for family and friends.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I keep up with people that don't live nearby. A lot of my coworkers are on it too. Very few people I know are dramatic, you can filter out people and just not click on them if you don't want to see what they post.

I like to look at people's pics. I haven't had the negative experiences some here continue to post about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Attention whoring.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Over-inflated sense of self worth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Attention whoring.
View Quote

Yep. Facebook gives (some) people the illusion that they are the center of attention.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#41]
My FB use is minimal. I only have about 60 friends, a number of them are long-distance friends. There are a couple private groups I'm part of - trade group, one for a group of friends.

Twitter, on the other hand, I didn't even use my own name nor do I actually send tweets out. I do find it VERY useful for keeping up with news, various groups, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Twitter is an outstanding source for instant unedited information. Its down fall is also that instant unedited information. I knew about Boston marathon bombing and saw pictures about 15-20 minutes before it broke on the news. It might be really useful if someone decides to go on a door to door campaign to make sure our weapons are on safe.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#43]
The purpose of Facebook is to see many duckfaces.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#44]
+1

Quoted:
Communication, if you dont like it, dont use it very simple.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yep. Facebook gives (some) people the illusion that they are the center of attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Attention whoring.

True, unlike arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#46]
The purpose of my neighborhood's FB page is to allow people who have never met to dislike each other.

Rather quickly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Twitter is THE best place for news. PERIOD. I don't post much, but follow a lot of news sources to stay informed.

Facebook- sharing photos of the kids and stuff with friends. Not too much else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

View Quote

Don't friend retards and you won't see that shit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I've never done any of it barley check my personal email. I'm a Systems Administrator for the state and last thing I feel like doing when i get home is being on computer. My daughter does it and I understand it. Easy way to stay in contact with large groups of friends. Some people actually have lots of friends if you can believe that - like i said I'm a computer person so not so much,:p
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm turning on the tv.

I wonder what's on?

Lol I just farted.

BOOM. Headshot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top