Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2013 3:35:23 PM EDT
Ugh...What is the point of these stupid endorsements? It is so fucking Facebook'ish.
People endorse me for the skills I have listed all of the time, even though they have never worked a day with me or know what I do outside of a title. Then, when I pull them up, they are endorsed for shit they have NEVER done in their life by 50-fucking people they have never worked with. Statistical Analysis, Financial Modeling, Econometrics - motherfucker, you work as a bank teller, majored in sociology, and don't even know what those terms mean, let alone are elbow deep in them on a daily basis.
I have my endorsements set to not display, and then I get people all butthurt asking, "Hey, I endorsed you. Why did you delete it?...Could you endorse me for blahblahblahblah?"
Groan - I hate social media in all shapes and forms. However, it is a necessary evil that I must keep around.
Anyhow, if any (real) recruiters are up in the heezy....could you give your thoughts on these, please?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
'Like'
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I found my current job on linkedin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you trawl for endorsements? Did the recruiter ask you about your endorsements for 'leadership', 'entrepreneurship', and 'business'?

(Not a slight against you - just the whole damn system, man).

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet some of my ex gfs could endorse my skills.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did too.
I don't endorse people for skills I can't personally give an example of in my dealings with them, nor do I give any credence to them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with OP. Endorsements are fucking useless and annoying.  LinkedIn is essentially Facebook for the corporate world.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never endorsed anyone on LinkedIn with the exception of actually writing a personal endorsement/recommendation that they can choose to display.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
LinkedIn is a fucking scam aimed at the narcissistic Facebook generation to sell their CVs to recruiters, period. Endorsements are the work equivalent of mutual masturbation, people trade them like Pokemon cards. I've gotten unsolicited endorsements for skills I don't have, from people I've never worked with. Hey, that's useful.

I'm happy for anyone that scores a job from there, but it's the exception, not the rule.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm endorsed for a lot of shit, I really have no business being endorsed for.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Renewing old work acquaintances LinkedIn has made me 1000's of dollars this year.

People I don't really know endorse me all the time

I don't!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being that they're your "exes," ....probably not.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Finishing a project in record time?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

LinkedIn is a fucking scam aimed at the narcissistic Facebook generation to sell their CVs to recruiters, period. Endorsements are the work equivalent of mutual masturbation, people trade them like Pokemon cards. I've gotten unsolicited endorsements for skills I don't have, from people I've never worked with. Hey, that's useful.

I'm happy for anyone that scores a job from there, but it's the exception, not the rule.
View Quote
My current gig came from Linkedin.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's the point. Recruiters have to know they are a fucking sham, along with people's connections to others in third world countries they do not fucking know. I could go around clicking 'connect' on LNKD for the next hour for people I do not know, will never know, and do not want to know, and I bet that I get at least a 70% acceptance rate.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you trawl for endorsements? Did the recruiter ask you about your endorsements for 'leadership', 'entrepreneurship', and 'business'?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I think that must have started more recently. I guess they are just as valuable as each person allows them to be. It does seem kind of silly, but so are resumes and cover letters if you think about it. I really don't use the site much unless I get an email about something I am interested in or I am job searching. Overall, I think its a good site.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, it happens, but you're qualified out the ass and I bet your CV shows it.  Endorsements are a circle jerk, and the facade of not just being about selling your info has worn thin.

It pisses me off when half-assed services become de facto standards, just because they were first to market.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Endorsements are starting to feel a lot like spam emails.
Oh look!  I've been endorsed for my un-expertise in lion taming and bagpipes!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Never used Linkden.  Thank God I haven't had to.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That's the point. Recruiters have to know they are a fucking sham, along with people's connections to others in third world countries they do not fucking know. I could go around clicking 'connect' on LNKD for the next hour for people I do not know, will never know, and do not want to know, and I bet that I get at least a 70% acceptance rate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure they know this.

My resume speaks for itself. I assume that the recruiters know that my friends endorsements are mostly bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

endorsements are silly but the typed-out recommendations are useful.

linkedin is very useful for me in looking up people from other companies that i have to work with. now i know if i'm dealing with a dipshit MBAbot ahead of time...

resumes has always been bullshit, but do contain clues for the trained eye. linkedin is no different.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Like I said, it happens, but you're qualified out the ass and I bet your CV shows it.  Endorsements are a circle jerk, and the facade of not just being about selling your info has worn thin.

It pisses me off when half-assed services become de facto standards, just because they were first to market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The skills endorsements are bullshit (I'm talking about the bit where anybody can make up a skill without being bothered to write an essay on how awesome you are, and add it to your profile).

In fact, sometimes they're a hinderance, if you let them appear. I've been "endorsed" for skills I once had (desktop PC repair, for example) that I no longer wish to have on my resume. There you are, pimping yourself out as a voice network engineering genius (or whatever), and some co-worker from 15 years ago calls you an A+ certified wizard, or lets the world know how awesome you are with Novell.

Fucking. Lame.

It can actually hurt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ugh...What is the point of these stupid endorsements? It is so fucking Facebook'ish.

People endorse me for the skills I have listed all of the time, even though they have never worked a day with me or know what I do outside of a title. Then, when I pull them up, they are endorsed for shit they have NEVER done in their life by 50-fucking people they have never worked with. Statistical Analysis, Financial Modeling, Econometrics - motherfucker, you work as a bank teller, majored in sociology, and don't even know what those terms mean, let alone are elbow deep in them on a daily basis.

I have my endorsements set to not display, and then I get people all butthurt asking, "Hey, I endorsed you. Why did you delete it?...Could you endorse me for blahblahblahblah?"

Groan - I hate social media in all shapes and forms. However, it is a necessary evil that I must keep around.

Anyhow, if any (real) recruiters are up in the heezy....could you give your thoughts on these, please?  
View Quote

You seem to not understand what LinkedIn is really all about.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've connected with more than 200 former coworkers, plus a bunch of classmates and family members.

If I needed a job quickly, I'm very sure I could find one.

Quoted:

I keep getting endorsed for things I haven't done in several jobs, but that's OK.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

'Like'
View Quote

'Retweeted'

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i got endorsed by people i don't know for shit i know nothing about
View Quote

#Winning!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate the social pressure of the written endorsements. Somebody will write one for me (and it's very flattering), but there's this expectation that you will reciprocate.

It's kind of the digital equivalent of a homeless guy washing your windows at a light, and expecting payment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#28]
This this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this............................

Endorsements are the dumbest thing ever.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I hate the social pressure of the written endorsements. Somebody will write one for me (and it's very flattering), but there's this expectation that you will reciprocate.

View Quote

It's kind of the digital equivalent of a homeless guy washing your windows at a light, and expecting payment.

"I endorse Subnet. He doesn't suck, and his music is mostly alright. He can cook but he can't drink."
There ya go buddy, no need to recip.
'Like'

'Retweeted'

Subscribed

#Subnetsnotsucky

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I endorse Subnet. He doesn't suck, and his music is mostly alright. He can cook but he can't drink."
There ya go buddy, no need to recip.
'Like'

'Retweeted'

Subscribed

#Subnetsnotsucky

Fuck you, I'm way better at drinking than I am at cooking.

#JusticeForSubnet
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The only endorsements I have on linkedin, or that I have given, are by people I know well, former colleagues, etc, and are completely accurate.

YMMV apparently.  Maybe the community I work with is more careful about that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The only endorsements I have on linkedin, or that I have given, are by people I know well, former colleagues, etc, and are completely accurate.

YMMV apparently.  Maybe the community I work with is more careful about that sort of thing.
View Quote
The community I work with, are horny fucking job whores.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does he have a graduate degree? If he went to grad school for Sociology than he probably knows all about statistical analysis. I have an graduate course in a couple of semesters in experimental statistics that I am absolutely dreading.

I sympathize with your rant though. Social media and what the job hunt has become is rather loathsome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I laugh when an employee endorses me for something I usually forward them an email that says,

"Thank you for letting your boss know that he knows how to do his job.  I would endorse you back, but I didn't see brown nosing in your skills/experience."
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I get endorsed for shit I have no clue about.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't understand any of this newfangled crap.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've asked people who have endorsed me for stuff, and people have asked me if I endorsed them....and apparently none of us actually endorsed the other.

Seems linkedin sends that endorsement e-mail shit out so that we'll give the website a 'hit' looking into it. People feel obliged to return the favor and they endorse somebody back...and it perpetuates it. Apparently Linkedin gets more for advertisements the more hits they get on the site.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#41]
i want to be endorsed for bo staff skills, wolverine hunting skills and sweet jumps
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I get endorsed for shit I have no clue about.
View Quote

This.

I get some odd views of my profile from people in businesses that have nothing to do with my work too.

I did have a dozen or more people from a company in Sweden that makes some machines I used to inspect view my profile last week though. I'd dig going to Sweden for a QC job for a few years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I am a corporate recruiter for a very large company and I have hired several people from LinkedIn.  That being said I have literally never looked at someone's endorsements.  They are about as useful as cover letters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I deleted my LinkedIn profile. No value.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't stand all the folks that want to link up, then spam the spiff out of me with their links to stories about financial markets or tax controversy.  I've also been asked to link by recruiters, but I deleted most of them after I reached out when I was in need awhile back and they were NO help.  And the endorsements; I hate them too.  I had someone endorse me for GAAP and a few other things that I have no interest in, nor do I practice.  I think I'm going to turn that off like you did. I don't need endorsements.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't think much of the recommendations until I got a headhunter asking me if I was interested in a pipeline job based on my endorsements, when my only real experience was in Intro to Subsea Pipelines in school.  Much more picky about what endorsements I give/accept now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
So it appears I'm not the only one with stupid thoughts about linkedin
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I endorse everybody for everything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 40 endorsements from one person!

I didn't accept them when asked to.

I haven't checked....do they show up on my profile?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#50]
The one thing good about LinkedIn is you can tell who is stalking you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top