Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 12:49:16 PM EDT
My 9yo laptop is finally giving up the ghost, so I need something new. I probably won't play many games, if at all, on it, as I have an XBox for that...not like I have the time anyway.

So, do I go for another laptop, or get a tablet? Laptops are pretty damned cheap these days, and I do like having a proper keyboard. However, the size of a tablet would be nice when I travel, and it seems that you can get a keyboard for those. However, from what little research I've done so far, tablets can't run DVDs.

Help someone who is fairly technology ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on fellas, I need help!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Tablets can't do everything. Everyone still needs a full bore computer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote you get a MacBook Air.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends entirely on how you wish to use it. All of my DVD's have been ripped into files, for example. I don't need a DVD player after it's been ripped.

But...I'm typing this on a computer, because I'm doing other shit that tablet's aren't well suited to.

There's really no way to answer this, other than to say "It depends".
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with this.
So get the laptop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Dvd's. How's the 8 track in your car doing...but really it's still good to have at least one computer in your life
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It depends entirely on how you wish to use it. All of my DVD's have been ripped into files, for example. I don't need a DVD player after it's been ripped.

But...I'm typing this on a computer, because I'm doing other shit that tablet's aren't well suited to.

There's really no way to answer this, other than to say "It depends".
View Quote

This.

You question is akin to: "how much does a tattoo hurt?"
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Laptop, a tablet is not a substitute for a PC IMO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've always preferred a laptop- just for this very reason, OP.

And for what it's worth, I'm guessing I'll be in your shoes sometimes in the next year or so. My current Dell is starting to have some hardware issues as of late. I'm not decided yet, but I'm thinking the next will possibly be the Asus G75VW.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Surface Pro can do just about everything. Microsoft Word to Netflix to Civilization V.

I mainly use it to read the news while I eat breakfast and look up hot actresses nudez when I'm watching TV.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
What did you use your laptop for OP?

In my case if I went to tablet only I would go crazy. But your useage is of course different than mine. I would suggest (broadly) that you look at some "ultrabooks" if you want something a little smaller for travelling. Some have a DVD slot some don't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My 9yo laptop is finally giving up the ghost, so I need something new. I probably won't play many games, if at all, on it, as I have an XBox for that...not like I have the time anyway.

So, do I go for another laptop, or get a tablet? Laptops are pretty damned cheap these days, and I do like having a proper keyboard. However, the size of a tablet would be nice when I travel, and it seems that you can get a keyboard for those. However, from what little research I've done so far, tablets can't run DVDs.

Help someone who is fairly technology ignorant.
View Quote

Grab a $150 tablet at walmart, the Sero 7 Pro.

Then if you feel you need a laptop, buy a $350 Acer later.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on what you do.

As a general rule, tablets are for consuming content, laptops (and desktops) are for creating content.

If all you do is surf the web, stream Netflix and send the occasional email, a tablet might work for you.

If you need to type out a letter, send lots of email and do anything with a spreadsheet, you're going to want a laptop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

"Get Both"
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would wait and see what everyone thinks of the new Nexus 7 coming out this month @ $230
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like I'll be going laptop; I do need the ability to produce documents.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Looks like I'll be going laptop; I do need the ability to produce documents.
View Quote
Depending on what you mean by documents (typesetting/formatting, and all), you can easily use a bluetooth keyboard with a tablet.

Still, it's way easier with a desktop/laptop, for all but the simplest documents.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Laptop. I see plenty of people with tablets... with $100 addon folding keyboard set ups. When it comes down to type and doing some real work a tablet looses its use.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Tablets are nice. I own one. But, there are just some things that tablets can't do that you need a computer for.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Laptop, its a computer and not just a big phone.
It will have a computer OS, ports for connections, you can insert discs, you can upgrade it, etc..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I would wait and see what everyone thinks of the new Nexus 7 coming out this month @ $230
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh. You can spend a lifetime waiting, there is always something newer/better/mo'spensive

I have Chinese tablets.

They're cheap, so when I go to buy a new one, I can spend $100 for better specs than the new Nexus.

Which is what happened when I bought mine in the first place. $100 and better than the Nexus.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Laptop. I see plenty of people with tablets... with $100 addon folding keyboard set ups. When it comes down to type and doing some real work a tablet looses its use.
View Quote
You don't need to spend $100. Any bluetooth keyboard will suffice. I use a full size desktop keyboard with mine.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I've not seen a reason yet that I need a smartphone, laptop, and tablet.

I have the phone for mobility and the laptop when I don't want to use the phone.  I'm not sure why I need a tablet, so I guess my vote is laptop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've not seen a reason yet that I need a smartphone, laptop, and tablet.

I have the phone for mobility and the laptop when I don't want to use the phone.  I'm not sure why I need a tablet, so I guess my vote is laptop.
View Quote
When I'm lazily surfing on my couch, or using my laptop on the bed in a hotel room, I find that I'm only using 1% of it's actual capabilities. A good tablet is nicer, sometimes.

I can't replace my laptop with a tablet (I'm always going to need a general purpose PC), but I'm convinced that a lot of people could - probably very few people who post here, though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
If you don't get the biggest, baddest desktop money can by with hydroponic jet-assist nitro cooling fans powered by sex and Linux, you're a douche of the highest order.  A loser sheep who knows not what technology is.  Pick up some flint and scratch "football rulez" in your cave.

Fuckin' newbs with their worthless tablets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you don't get the biggest, baddest desktop money can by with hydroponic jet-assist nitro cooling fans powered by sex and Linux, you're a douche of the highest order.  A loser sheep who knows not what technology is.  Pick up some flint and scratch "football rulez" in your cave.

View Quote
You just saved a lot of people, a lot of typing. Excellent summary, from a man posting from one of those frankenmachines.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You just saved a lot of people, a lot of typing. Excellent summary, from a man posting from one of those frankenmachines.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted that from my tablet.  If there is a paper plate between our truck nuts is it still gay?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I posted that from my tablet.  If there is a paper plate between our truck nuts is it still gay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally manly and heterosexual.

BTW, I'm the guy posting from a hydroponic jet-assist nitro cooling fan powered by sex and...well, Windows 8, but let's not get mired in details.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

BTW, I'm the guy posting from a hydroponic jet-assist nitro cooling fan powered by sex and...well, Windows 8, but let's not get mired in details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have it from the highest tech authorities of arfcom that a sweet computer with windows 8 is like a hot chick with a dick.

OP, I'd get a tablet unless you have a real use for a laptop.  I log onto my desktop with my iPad in the rare event I need to do something more than send an email remotely.  Painful, sometimes, but it gets the job done.(ish)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+2  Have a MacBook Pro & iPad rarely use the latter, laptop all the way.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Ipad and had a Macbook Pro. I shifted from the Pro to a 13" Mac Air last year.  Once I shifted to the 2lb Mac air the iPad has basically just laid on the shelf.  The Air is about the same weight and packs a huge leap in capability.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Um, get both?

slickdeals, fatwallet, and techbargains are your friends for this mission.

Assuming you are a PC guy (not apple) I think you gotta be realistic about your computer usages.  I have both and the tablet gets used very little, pretty much only grab it for weekend trips when I don't really think I'll need a computer but it might be nice to have one without lugging my laptop around.  They are neat but for most of what I do, I would just as well have the keyboard there.  95% of my computer work is internet stuff that needs typing, working with MS office documents, or working with video or audio files converting them to work with my other crap.  

Tablets kind of suck for all of that, and that is the easy stuff.  Want to pull a movie of a friends camera?  Or print to a random printer?  Or manage all your files?  Do your taxes?  Not tablet tasks.  They can be very capable but everything requires a new process with them, so if you are not a tech guy it just isn't worth it.  I am a tech guy with full say over what toys I buy, and I see a tablet as a luxury item that is nice to have.  Should not even be considered a laptop replacement.

Also, with the way phones are getting I think most people could get by with a ~4" phone and a laptop and skip the tablet altogether.  I hated the idea of a big phone originally, but they are making them so thin now unless you wear nuthuggers it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife (no pics) convinced her parents to get an Ipad, however we continually run into FlashPlayer issues...ie., my son plays D1 baseball and a lot of their games are broadcast on ESPN360...I can hook my laptop up to the big screen and watch, they can not. Summer ball radio broadcast use flash player over the computer. I can listen, they can not. Now, there are a lot of things I like about the ipad, but I wouldn't be without a full blown laptop.

GT
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#36]
It all depends on what your needs are. If all you do is web surfing and emailing a tablet possibly with a blue tooth keyboard will suffice. For more intensive tasks a laptop or desk top is the way to go.

Currently tablets are basically an entertainment consumption device. While it can do many other things it tends not to do some of those things as well as a laptop or desk top can do them.

I find myself using my Nexus 7 tablet about 50% of the time now days and use a laptop the other 50% of the time. The only problem I have with my Nexus 7 is typing on the small screen. Could fix that by using a wireless keyboard but that would be one more thing to carry around which negates one of the benefits of the tablet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top