Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/23/2013 10:16:11 AM EDT
http://www.kctv5.com/story/22907330/postal-service-looks-to-end-at-your-door-mail

Postal Service looks to end at-your-door mail

By Jennifer Liberto

updated  6:09 AM EDT, Tue Jul 23, 2013
View Quote

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- If you're moving to a newly built house, say goodbye to mail delivery at your door.

And if some House Republicans get their way, all door-to-door mail delivery will go away.

The U.S. Postal Service is marching towards a more "centralized
delivery," where residents pick up their own mail from clusters of mail
boxes located in their neighborhood. Local postmasters are sending
hundreds of letters to fast-growing communities, warning that cluster
boxes will be the way mail will be delivered to new developments.

In the past year, the cash-strapped Postal Service has been asking
companies in industrial parks and shopping malls to also adopt this form
of mail delivery.

But Rep. Darrell Issa, the California Republican leading the House
effort to save the postal service, wants more. He has made doing away
with doorstep delivery a key part of his bill, which would require
everyone to get mail at a curbside box or from a cluster box.

"A balanced approach to saving the Postal Service means allowing USPS
to adapt to America's changing use of mail," said Issa, who is chairman
of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Moving away from door-to-door delivery saves a lot of money. Right
now, 35 million residences and businesses get mail delivered to their
doorstep.

It costs $353 per stop for a delivery in most American cities, taking
into account such things as salaries and cost of transport. By
contrast, curbside mail box delivery costs $224, while cluster boxes
cost $160, according to a report from the Postal Service's Office of
Inspector General.

Delivering mail is the agency's largest fixed cost -- $30 billion.
Ending such deliveries would save $4.5 billion a year. That's more than
the $3 billion it would have saved from ending Saturday mail service,
according to government reports.

I can just see all my odd-sized Amazon packages just dumped on the ground around the new cluster mailboxes, the same way they're dumped on my porch, and around it, if they won't fit the mailbox.  I can just see maybe getting notices to pick up at the post office for 5 or 6 consecutive days as my Amazon orders dribble in.

I can see the vote pandering to the FSA and unions has sucked up all the money in the universe, so now the USPS has to be crippled down to moving at a snail's pace.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.

Get UPS and FedEx in this biz. For profit means better service since they have to compete for your cash. .gov run USPS bleeds cash like a tidal wave.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Pfffttt

FedEx, UPS, DHL, who needs the USPS?

Shut it down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
They have these already...they are called fucking post offices. I have one less than a mile from my house.   Stop all fucking mail delivery.  

For fucks sake....
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.
View Quote

Ever mailed a letter for under fifty cents through one of those carriers?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This is how mail still works in the town I grew up in. No delivery, everyone goes to the post office.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Good. Fuckers only bring junk anyway.

All the good stuff comes via FedEx or UPS at my house.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
They could save money by not scanning every fucking piece of mail for .gov to review later...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.
View Quote

This, Mail is nothing but flyers and shit anyway these days.  Its like the paper version of spam.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
$353 per stop?  That can't mean that each time I see the postal worker stop at my house that's another $353, right?  I mean, the postage on my mail can't be worth more than about $5.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

No, which is why they are solvent!  You just learned from a 13'er.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This, Mail is nothing but flyers and shit anyway these days.  Its like the paper version of spam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

Even with that market segment on lockdown, the USPS still bleeds money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good. Fuckers only bring junk anyway.

All the good stuff comes via FedEx or UPS at my house.
View Quote

This. I buy 1 book of stamps every 1-2 years and pay all bills online.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
So wait... The USPS, the Postal Service, where the first and foremost duty they have to perform is... delivering mail, thinks that because delivering mail is the biggest cost out of their budget, needs to cut back on... delivering mail?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Gosh, I would never have expected that their primary mission in life is their biggest cost.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll just go light it every 3 months. Nothing good ever comes in the mail
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure will make it convenient for the mail box thieves, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]
We already have that in our neighborhood.  have for years.

Packages are kept at the post office for pick up or dropped at your door according to your preference.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
It costs $353 per stop for a delivery in most American cities.
View Quote

WHAT??? If that's true, the 125 homes in my subdivision alone rack up $44,125 A DAY in costs to the USPS. And I know they deliver to a lot more homes than just our subdivision. Multiply that by the millions of neighborhoods in the country and you have an astounding number.

I call

ETA: That means post office makes my carrier's annual salary in just one day in just my neighborhood. That leaves the rest of the year to account for his vehicle and gas, his benefits, and the overhead of the brick and mortar post office building. That's either a bullshit number or the USPS is the most inefficient business in the entire world.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#19]
we've been doing that here for a while.

letters go in your own box for any larger packages they put a key in your box for the large box, if it's bigger than that they leave you a notice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm OK with this. The only thing that comes in the mail anymore is junk. Why bother?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WHAT??? If that's true, the 125 homes in my subdivision alone rack up $44,125 A DAY in costs to the USPS. And I know they deliver to a lot more homes than just our subdivision. Multiply that by the millions of neighborhoods in the country and you have an astounding nymber.

I call
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It costs $353 per stop for a delivery in most American cities.

WHAT??? If that's true, the 125 homes in my subdivision alone rack up $44,125 A DAY in costs to the USPS. And I know they deliver to a lot more homes than just our subdivision. Multiply that by the millions of neighborhoods in the country and you have an astounding nymber.

I call

That could be an annual figure, not daily.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#22]
If they have "large centralized delivery stations" in FSA neighborhoods, can I put in malt liquor and lottery ticket vending machines next to them?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.
View Quote

I came here to say this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I can see going to the post office in any medium sized city now.....it'll be like going to the DMV.  Stand in line for 2 hours to find out you have a Sears catalog waiting....

Just shut it down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

You are paying for it one way or the other. Congress holds the postage rate to an unnatural low. The Post Office is in debt and you will have to pay them out later.

Pay $3 now or pay trillions later. Those are your options.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So wait... The USPS, the Postal Service, where the first and foremost duty they have to perform is... delivering mail, thinks that because delivering mail is the biggest cost out of their budget, needs to cut back on... delivering mail?
View Quote

Yes, and we'll cheer this on here because government sucks, despite mail delivery being one of the few things the federal government is specifically tasked with doing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

I believe the post office was solvent until they were forced to pre fund their pension plans. They make enough to cover salaries and operating expenses, its the benefits that are putting them under.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, and we'll cheer this on here because government sucks, despite mail delivery being one of the few things the federal government is specifically tasked with doing.
View Quote

The feds are specifically tasked with issuing letters of marque and reprisal as well... I'd rather see them do that then keep delivering mail.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I came here to say this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfffttt

Shut it down.

I came here to say this.

I agree.  They should either charge actual delivery costs, or shut the whole thing down and let the private sector take over.

I'd be brimming with glee at the greatly reduced amount of junk that arrives in my mailbox each day.  Can you imagine how few advertisements you'd get if they had to arrive via UPS?

And if that means it costs me $5 to send a letter, fine.  Most people rarely send real mail these days anyway, and those that do will have to pay what it costs to deliver.  I have no problem with this.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Something that is actually enumerated in the Constitution as a power of the Federal Government takes 2nd place to all the unconstitutional horseshit. Go figure.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Many of the new developments around here have already gone to the cluster boxes.  Fairly common.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$353 per stop?  That can't mean that each time I see the postal worker stop at my house that's another $353, right?  I mean, the postage on my mail can't be worth more than about $5.
View Quote

Annual cost, not daily.  About a $1.20 a day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right? Protect the borders, deliver the mail. How fucking hard is that???
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree.  They should either charge actual delivery costs, or shut the whole thing down and let the private sector take over.

I'd be brimming with glee at the greatly reduced amount of junk that arrives in my mailbox each day.  Can you imagine how few advertisements you'd get if they had to arrive via UPS?

And if that means it costs me $5 to send a letter, fine.  Most people rarely send real mail these days anyway, and those that do will have to pay what it costs to deliver.  I have no problem with this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

I came here to say this.

Agreed.

I think I get about a dozen important pieces of mail a year (vehicle registration stickers, insurance paperwork and such). Everything else is done electronically.
Shit, I go several weeks without walking checking my mailbox. 99.9999999% of what is in there is junk and/or junk addressed to previous occupants. I mean shit, I have only lived here 8 years, think they would have figured that out by now.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.
View Quote

could say the same for a lot of stuff the gubmint does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

I came here to say this.

Agreed.
Agreed.  And frankly, if UPS, FedEx, etc., were allowed to deliver to mailboxes
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can just see all my odd-sized Amazon packages just dumped on the ground around the new cluster mailboxes, the same way they're dumped on my porch, and around it, if they won't fit the mailbox.  I can just see maybe getting notices to pick up at the post office for 5 or 6 consecutive days as my Amazon orders dribble in.

I can see the vote pandering to the FSA and unions has sucked up all the money in the universe, so now the USPS has to be crippled down to moving at a snail's pace.

View Quote

Yeah, this won't work for me. I live in a rural area with my box right along the road, a good 350' away from my house. For the last two packages from my dumbass mailman, he opened the mailbox door and laid it on the open door with my mail sitting right behind it. The other package was just teetering on top of my mailbox.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They have these already...they are called fucking post offices. I have one less than a mile from my house.   Stop all fucking mail delivery.  

For fucks sake....
View Quote

Fuck that, I do not live less than a mile from the PO.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Constitutional purpose of the mail system wasn't to deliver 2 pounds of flyers to your door every week for pennies.  Delivering mail to a central location would fulfill the USPS' obligations fine and in a more efficient manner.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#41]
If we privatize it ,it will become a profitable business...............................

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The feds are specifically tasked with issuing letters of marque and reprisal as well... I'd rather see them do that then keep delivering mail.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could well be privatized or any manor of changes made to how delivery is made, but they don't just get to wash their hands of it so they can hand out more Obama phones.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is how mail still works in the town I grew up in. No delivery, everyone goes to the post office.
View Quote

You live in Alabama.  People in developed states like their mail brought to them.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gosh, I would never have expected that their primary mission in life is their biggest cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But it's not the entire truth. The cost of the benefits of the people sorting and delivering the mail is the biggest cost. If they operated on funny money like the rest of .gov, and didn't have to pay into the retirement escrow, they'd be well into the black.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judging by the amount of crap that gets shoved in my mailbox daily, they should be making a profit on that for me at least. Gotta be $5 worth of shit shoved in there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

Do what I've been doing for years. Put all of the junk fliers in one of the pre-paid return postage envelopes they send you with their "offers" and stick it back in your mail box with the flag up. If everyone did this it would be cost prohibitive to advertise through the mail anymore.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfffttt

Shut it down.

Who mails letters anymore?

E-mail? Electronic bill payment?

End the post office, I don't give a fuck.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Constitutional purpose of the mail system wasn't to deliver 2 pounds of flyers to your door every week for pennies.  Delivering mail to a central location would fulfill the USPS' obligations fine and in a more efficient manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no reason that any number of changes could be made to make bulk mailing operations less desirable to engage in.  There is no reason why they cannot raise the rate to something that covers the actual cost of mailing a parcel.  I get tired of being told however that they can't accomplish this task but they can continue to hand out free lobsters to the FSA, cover poor people's rent, and throw billions at windmills.  Fuck you, deliver the fucking mail which is one of the few things your supposed to be getting done,
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do what I've been doing for years. Put all of the junk fliers in one of the pre-paid return postage envelopes they send you with their "offers" and stick it back in your mail box with the flag up. If everyone did this it would be cost prohibitive to advertise through the mail anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfffttt

Shut it down.

I figure those places that send me offers are probably full of pretty bored people, so I like to send them some rocks and gravel or such along with the junk fliers.  That should give them something to do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top