Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/23/2013 9:16:31 AM EDT
The advances in LED technology are great for sure but some police agencies are getting a bit carried away with the lights of patrol cars.

I understand the desire for increased visibility on the roads but when there are 10,000 super bright LEDs flashing all over the car at night I can't see a damn thing other than the lights.

They are not only distracting but so bright it makes it nearly impossible to see anything else in the area of the car.

It's only a matter of time before an officer on the road is killed by a driver who was blinded by the pulsating outer space disco lights on the damn car.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The advances in LED technology are great for sure but some police agencies are getting a bit carried away with the lights of patrol cars.

I understand the desire for increased visibility on the roads but when there are 10,000 super bright LEDs flashing all over the car at night I can't see a damn thing other than the lights.

They are not only distracting but so bright it makes it nearly impossible to see anything else in the area of the car.

It's only a matter of time before an officer on the road is killed by a driver who was blinded by the pulsating outer space disco lights on the damn car.
View Quote

agree

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Everybody needs a good seizure now and again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed. At night they destroy night vision and totally obscure anything past e police car.  Both extraordinarily dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

GSP has about 20 sets of lights on the Chargers and Crown Vics. The damn Tahoes have even more. Makes for a serious bitch on a rainy night on I-75
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the new setups have a lower setting for night time use so you don't blind everyone.  Looks like some think brighter is better all of the time though.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know who comes up with more shit to complain about, GD or or women on their periods. Even Reddit is not this bad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know who comes up with more shit to complain about, GD or or women on their periods. Even Reddit is not this bad.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most of the new setups have a lower setting for night time use so you don't blind everyone.  Looks like some think brighter is better all of the time though.  
View Quote

That's what they need, a day time/night time mode function.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If the blue lights are messing with your vision bad enough that it's dangerous, then you're driving too fucking fast.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Jesus Fucking Christ, is there anything you people won't bitch about? Wash the sand out of your fucking vagina, OP.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Dimmers aren't being used.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
They should also cut off their mufflers, it will save lives.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jesus Fucking Christ, is there anything you people won't bitch about? Wash the sand out of your fucking vagina, OP.
View Quote

I'm tired of the inconsistencies in my horseradish sauce. Some bottles are so spicy my eyes water and some too tame.  How am I supposed to know how much to put on my roast beef sandwich?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everybody needs a good seizure now and again.
View Quote

Or a, literally, killer migraine. Lights like that can also induce disabling migraines in some folk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dimmers aren't being used.
View Quote

Last patrol car I had was brand new. Had LED light bar with no dimming function that I was aware of.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
With modern technology someone should develop a light bar that can detect the other light bars and adjusts the output when more than a couple police cars are present. Good idea or teh ghey?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the blue lights are messing with your vision bad enough that it's dangerous, then you're driving too fucking fast.
View Quote

Bullshit. It doesn't matter how slow I'm driving if I can't fucking see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#22]
FHP's are frickin rediculous
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
The San Antonio PD SUVs are covered in seizure causing LEDs
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Nighttime car stops look like outtakes from "Close Encounters" these days.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Probably not.

He was hit in broad daylight. LED's aren't too bright during the day. That's the problem...During the day they are great, but at night they're too bright. Either guys aren't using dimming function, or they don't have it.

He was loading something in his trunk to get it out of the roadway. A lot of guys don't know that if you open your trunk on most patrol cars it will block your light bar from being seen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like a 65mph highway where everyone is doing that speed while the cruiser on the side is firing all those blue camera flashes in everyone's face? It RUINS night vision. If there was a cop walking next to the car, no way I'd see them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm all for cool shiny stuff, but come on.....This might be just a little much.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#28]
PICK UP THAT CAN!!

Do not dare to speak out against the authorities peasant!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, because who the fuck cares about seeing on the highway at night, anyway?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new bars Florida HP came out with seem nearly perfect---random mix of red/blue while running, high intensity red and amber only during daylight while stopped in a slow pattern, low intensity blue and amber only at night while stopped, also with slow pattern profiling the vehicle.

I think I have a decent setup for my vehicle---to the rear at night there are two reds (by statute they have to be red,) up top slowly alternating, and a single blue and amber on either side low flashing slowly at the same time to profile the vehicle.  In the day another 4 reds and 4 blues are added.  The front gets a single steady red and a single slow flashing blue at night, with 6 reds and 2 blues added at day.

ETA:  Changed a "night" to a "day."
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some people fixate on police car lights and BAM.  Where you look is where you steer.
View Quote

Drunks are especially bad about this.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Before I clicked on the thread I thought "He must be from Kentucky"

Called it

I spent the summer there and the light there are ridiculous. Absolutely blinding.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The new bars Florida HP came out with seem nearly perfect---random mix of red/blue while running, high intensity red and amber only during daylight while stopped in a slow pattern, low intensity blue and amber only at night while stopped, also with slow pattern profiling the vehicle.

I think I have a decent setup for my vehicle---to the rear at night there are two reds (by statute they have to be red,) up top slowly alternating, and a single blue and amber on either side low flashing slowly at the same time to profile the vehicle.  In the day another 4 reds and 4 blues are added.  The front gets a single steady red and a single slow flashing blue at night, with 6 reds and 2 blues added at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I have a decent setup for my vehicle---to the rear at night there are two reds (by statute they have to be red,) up top slowly alternating, and a single blue and amber on either side low flashing slowly at the same time to profile the vehicle.  In the day another 4 reds and 4 blues are added.  The front gets a single steady red and a single slow flashing blue at night, with 6 reds and 2 blues added at night.

I wish they'd get those here. The ones in use here are ridiculous, I see vehicles start to swerve as people lose all sight of the road lines. It's like driving at burning magnesium.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its absolutely  *murder* on someone with bad lasik.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
FHP's are frickin rediculous
View Quote

While moving, sure, but when stationary, unless the trooper has disabled the night dimmer, they did a lot of study to select those lights, and they seem to be good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#37]
There have been many times where I have had to slow to a crawl and pray no one was in the road ahead of me due to the bright lights on a police car.  Until you get even with the light bar it is nearly impossible to see anything past the cop car at all.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#38]
meh..

you think a few LEDs on cop cars bothers you now, wait..

the guberment is going to be putting these on the AC130 gunships, m1 abrams tanks and predator drones issued to states and municipalities as part of the up-armor-amerika-for-the-war-on-drugs-and-terror.

i expect see an unprecedented increase in UFO sightings soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm all for cool shiny stuff, but come on.....This might be just a little much.  

http://youtu.be/tyFDob7WK3g
View Quote

Needs undercarriage lights and LED spinners...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Part of the power trip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#41]
God yes, they need a dim mode for nighttime.  During the day, that brightness is great, but at night, it's dangerous as hell.

They might as well be shining one of those dazzler stun lights at everyone driving toward them.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

How fast is too fast on a 55mph highway? 25? 30?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have a night mode, well at least ours does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Mine has a high/low switch.
View Quote

I imagine a lot do.  I think it's a matter of some officers not using it.  Either that, or the dim setting is still way too bright.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

agree

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

Agree
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I've known cops that were like Arfcom users about car lighting.  They would literally spend tons of their own money to put the brightest possible lights on as many surfaces of a police vehicle as possible.  It's absolutely dangerous at night, and if it hasn't got someone killed yet, it's only a matter of time.  
But if you ever complain, you're a cop-bashing monster that wants to see officers get run over at night because nobody sees them.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
God yes, they need a dim mode for nighttime.  During the day, that brightness is great, but at night, it's dangerous as hell.

They might as well be shining one of those dazzler stun lights at everyone driving toward them.
View Quote

It really screws up vision when you are coming the other way and passing someone pulled over.

Night vision is bad enough as you get older, without the stroboscopic lights. Even more irritating than the ultra blue tard lights people use to simulate HID's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

So, 6 lanes of highway traffic should knock it down from 70 to 35 because officer friendly is putting a sticker on a disabled vehicle?

I'm not sure your reasoning is sound, here... perhaps the LEDs should be lesser in quantity and lumens. A patrol car on the other side of a highway should not require my reduction in speed to safely pass his disco show.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Police lights bring g my wife to the brink of a siezure.   She has to close her eyes or look away just to get by.  Dangerous as hell.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top