Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/22/2013 11:53:13 AM EDT
I have been using feather razor blades and they seem to be pretty good, but wanting to know if there are any better ones out there?

Derby, Astra, etc...........???
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered a sample pack from amazon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
After a lot of experimentation, I settled on the black pack feathers.

Cheaper than yellows, just as smooth, but not as prone to nicks...the only downside is that they don't last as long as regular feathers

Speed
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheaper than yellows, just as smooth, but not as prone to nicks...the only downside is that they don't last as long as regular feathers

Speed
View Quote

Yellow pack Feathers here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Feathers are highly regarded and arguably the sharpest... I have had good luck with the Shark Super Chrome blades... plenty sharp...durable and less nicks for me than the Feathers.

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Safety-Blades-Chrome/dp/B003BWQX46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374523431&sr=8-1&keywords=shark+super+chrome
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Astra does very well for me and they are cheap. I have tried many blades (about 10-12 brands) and the Astra is currently my everyday blade. They are not as sharp as a feather blade( I don't think an are), but they are much better on my skin which is what matters. The only other blade I would like to try is the POL silvers. I use a Merkur 34C handle too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

yep.

if your beard is on the thin side you could get cheaper ones
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

+1 on the yellows
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the sample pack from Amazon also, I do like the Crystal "SUPER +" Stainless Steel Platinum Coated Double Edge Safety Razor Blades A.K.A Israeli Personnas.  I ordered another 120 of them.  Good blades.  I can't compare them to the Feather blades because I haven't tried them yet.  everyone has good things to say about the Feathers though.  The Crystals are a little bit less expensive but you're not really talking about a major investment for either product.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Fether Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated (Yellows) are the hands down best razor blade for two shaves.  If you want more shaves out of a blade you need to purchase something else.  After going through a bunch of new blades I am still convinced the that the Astra SP is almost as good as a Feather and a much better blade for the money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Astra does very well for me and they are cheap. I have tried many blades (about 10-12 brands) and the Astra is currently my everyday blade. They are not as sharp as a feather blade( I don't think an are), but they are much better on my skin which is what matters. The only other blade I would like to try is the POL silvers. I use a Merkur 34C handle too.

View Quote

This.  Define best.  Cheapest, best shave, etc?
For the money, Derby and Astra work best for me.  Say best value.

Agree with the other posters that Feathers are the sharpest, but cut me up.  

Try an assortment pack and see what works best for you vs cost and come up the best value for you.

I can buy Derby in bulk for .07 cents each and do not even bother reusing them..

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fether Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated (Yellows) are the hands down best razor blade for two shaves.  If you want more shaves out of a blade you need to purchase something else.  After going through a bunch of new blades I am still convinced the that the Astra SP is almost as good as a Feather and a much better blade for the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Astra does very well for me and they are cheap. I have tried many blades (about 10-12 brands) and the Astra is currently my everyday blade. They are not as sharp as a feather blade( I don't think an are), but they are much better on my skin which is what matters. snip

Couldn't say it better myself.  They last me a week of daily shaves before I change.

Currently 12 cents a blade on Amazon.  $6.24 per year.  I can live with that
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, IM me your address and I'll send you some blades to try.  I'm not sure what brands I have but I know I've got some of the ones you're asking about.

I also use the yellow feathers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
It changed over time for me.  I got a few samplers when I started and Derby was the clear frontrunner for me for performance and comfort.  I bought a case (100 blades).  They worked perfectly well for several months, but then

I decided to dip back into the sample packs, and my how things had changed.  I don't know if my technique had improved, or if my beard had "adapted" (some say facial hair reacts differently to blades v electric, and to changes of with the grain to across the grain, etc), or something else, or a combination, but I found that Feathers were much better.  I bought a bunch of Feathers, and when I ran low I tired Astras, as they seemed popular and cheaper.  Now I use Feathers as my mainstay, but mix in Astras from time to time.  Not throwing away the leftover Derbys, who knows if things will change again?  

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I am going to hijack this razor blade discussion to pimp a razor.  I have chased the sharpest blade since I started wet shaving, until this year when I purchase a Merkur 37C slant razor.  Now I use Astra SP or Feather's exclusively in this razor and haven't had a bad shave.  The razor is definitely more aggressive, but surprisingly it is the smoothest shaving razor I have ever used.  I was scared to death of this razor for years, but if your technique is good enough to achieve a clean BBS shave with a DE razor you will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer Feather (Yellow)  brand but be warned, they're sharp motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Astra platinum or stainless.  I have a merkur 34c too, and i liked them best out of the sampler pack i got.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been using feather razor blades and they seem to be pretty good, but wanting to know if there are any better ones out there?

View Quote

tell us what your looking for that you feel the Feathers arent giving you
if the feathers arent sharp enough then I suggest some wire cutters

Feathers are pretty much the sharpest blade
but at a higher price than most

I would say try out some Gillette 7 o clock yellow box
cant find them just anywhere but they are around
they are pretty close to the Feathers and can get about double your mileage per blade

also Personna makes a good sharp blade
but if the feathers just arent doing it then we need to get you into some lasers or something man
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
That would be quite a subjective question. Get a sampler and try several brands. People seem to fear the Feathers but I must have a beard of steel. I dull those fuckers in no time. I prefer Derby.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Did the sample packs and tried damn near everything.

I use Feathers in the yellow pack.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Feathers are known for being the sharpest. If you want value, just buy the 200 pack of Derbys on Amazon for like $12.50. Astras are good too.. I prefer Dorcos over them, though.  Also, the Iridiums have a large following; they're from Israel. Another popular razor comes from Israel as well... the Personnas also on Amazon.

I'm not sure on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Blue Birds are really made by Derby but with a different name & trademark slapped on the blade. You can also find more expensive razors like Merkurs and other German blades, but I my experience, they don't perform any better than Derby. Also, don't forget the Sharks are a good price and are from Egypt I think. The Astras are made in Russia. There are also a few English blades as well. For value, I say go with the Derbys, Astras, Sharks, and Personnas. If you want the sharpest, then stick with Feather, but they cost 3x more per razor.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
feather

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
That is up to your face.

Of the blades I've tried I like the Astra SP the most, and got a 100 pack off of Amazon for $9 and change.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also, don't forget the Sharks are a good price and are from Egypt I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

see thats the problem with personal taste. They are just so personal....
when I started I didnt buy a sampler I just found a blade review and bought 50-100 of the top 6-8 brands
shark was one of those
sharks get good ratings but they are a total mismatch for my face somehow

every single blade was "rough" out of the wrapper after one shave they smooth out
would get one good shave out of the blade and then it would be dull...
so 3 shaves out of one blade was about the max I could get out of them. not for me apparently
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I use these:

Also packed like this:

But they are different from these, which I found very rough indeed:

Unfortunately there is no absolute answer to your question.  The best blade for you depends on your technique, your razor, your prep, and your beard.  There are general guidelines for who makes a "sharper" blade, and the Feather yellows are generally at the top of that list, but you just need to try out different quality blades until you find what works for you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I  buy Wilkinson Sword blades from Wal-Mart for like $1.80 per 10 pack. Blade lasts me a week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That would be quite a subjective question. Get a sampler and try several brands. People seem to fear the Feathers but I must have a beard of steel. I dull those fuckers in no time. I prefer Derby.
View Quote

A beard of steel hasn't been soaked long enough.

Dry hair is actually stronger than steel wire of the same thickness.  Takes nicks out of the blade.  Saturated hair cuts like butter.

You can try shaving in the shower, a pre-shave oil, a hot towel, or a bunch of other options, but the key is that you need to either leave the fur soak longer or use something that helps it along in less time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

The answer is Feather.

It's not even up for debate.

Everything else is Tier 2 or lower. There are lots of good blades out there, you just have to try them and see what works for you, so order sample packs and give them all a spin. But nothing is sharper and longer lasting than Feather. I've tried several myself, and the wet shaving forum polls all agree by large margin... Feather blades are the best.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I  buy Wilkinson Sword blades from Wal-Mart for like $1.80 per 10 pack. Blade lasts me a week.
View Quote

I find them to be very hit and miss, and not long lasting.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Feather Hi-Stainless from here.

I have bought 200 from him and he has been great to work with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Gillette 7 o'clock work for me and my baby face
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Feathers are known for being the sharpest. If you want value, just buy the 200 pack of Derbys on Amazon for like $12.50. Astras are good too.. I prefer Dorcos over them, though.  Also, the Iridiums have a large following; they're from Israel. Another popular razor comes from Israel as well... the Personnas also on Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Blue Birds are really made by Derby but with a different name & trademark slapped on the blade. You can also find more expensive razors like Merkurs and other German blades, but I my experience, they don't perform any better than Derby. Also, don't forget the Sharks are a good price and are from Egypt I think. The Astras are made in Russia. There are also a few English blades as well. For value, I say go with the Derbys, Astras, Sharks, and Personnas. If you want the sharpest, then stick with Feather, but they cost 3x more per razor.

Cheers

All good suggestions there...

The one value brand I liked a lot was either 7AM or 7PM, I don't remember AM/PM but it was a solid performer.
Merkur are the WORST blades, don't EVER buy those fuckin' things!

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

when I started I didnt buy a sampler I just found a blade review and bought 50-100 of the top 6-8 brands

shark was one of those

every single blade was "rough" out of the wrapper after one shave they smooth out

so 3 shaves out of one blade was about the max I could get out of them. not for me apparently
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

shark was one of those

DE blades are one of my few guilty pleasures. The only time I'll reuse one is when it's a Feather pretty much. I bought a 100 pack of the Dorco's recently & am quite satisfied. They are a good complement to the Derby's for me, but I'm a Derby fan boy because I use A LOT of pressure when shaving and do like 10 passes or some nonsense (shave in the shower).

It can get sort of addicting when I stop and think that a 100 pack lasts me at least 1 year each, so I can get 10 years of shaving out of 10 packs. Then I got to start being picky about what I want to buy.  I guess the answer is to just buy 50 packs and try a shitload of different makes.

Don't even get me started on soaps and creams. I've been slowly biding my time until Truefitt & Hill lowered the price on some of their creams, which was fairly recently (Grafton FTW). So, now I'm gonna try 3 or 4 of those. Not such a fan of D.R. Harris, personally, but Windsor is a great scent. And of course TOBS and GFT have some good stuff as well. Definitely a lot of great ways to blow the savings you made on betting cheaper razors.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Yellow pack Feathers.

I don't even know what black pack ones are.

I bought a sample pack. After using the Feathers first I couldn't use anything else.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No man... Merkurs are bad, don't get me wrong, but Dorco 300's are worse, and the king of the shit-ass blades are Flying Eagles:

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Derby is my everyday blade but I use the yellow Feathers too, you wont get any sharper than the Feather but I find the Derby to be more forgiving.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No man... Merkurs are bad, don't get me wrong, but Dorco 300's are worse, and the king of the shit-ass blades are Flying Eagles:

http://shaveabuck.com/bmz_cache/5/5de86bb3804e55e401d3dd53b3929c1d.image.750x478.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://shaveabuck.com/bmz_cache/5/5de86bb3804e55e401d3dd53b3929c1d.image.750x478.jpg

box of flying eagles and a case of Arko and a man would be set for life
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Derby
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#39]
For an everyday shave, Polsilver Iridiums are my favorite

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Polsilver-Super-Iridium-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-5-pack_p_1677.html

When I want a close shave, there is no substitute for a Feather

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_62.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

those tear my face up. but whatever ones in the red pack they have work great for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Feathers are highly regarded and arguably the sharpest... I have had good luck with the Shark Super Chrome blades... plenty sharp...durable and less nicks for me than the Feathers.

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Safety-Blades-Chrome/dp/B003BWQX46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374523431&sr=8-1&keywords=shark+super+chrome
View Quote

Sharks work great for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Gillette Silver Blue !!!!!!!! To me they are the smoothest blades I have found for me .....

Of course YMMV !

The best price I found on those is on eBay ....

The feather's for me are to harsh on my mug. You really have to be on your game using those !

Astra SP aren't to bad & I have used them ...... Amazon is the way to go on those !
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooooh, Frying Earrle! Good brades!!

There are some things even I won't try.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Derby
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Derby

Some people like Derby. I'm using Derby Extras right now and I'm not all like  "Fuck this shit!" yet.

I'm not sure how I like them yet, but so far so good. Only been two shaves.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I think Sharks are decent blades.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Yellow Feather's with derby being the runner up. I only shave every 3 days, and get 5 or so shaves out of the feathers so they are economical enough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Yellow Feather
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I like Derby better than Feather and the other high dollar blades.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two shaves of what? Your back?  Those last me a week, shaving 1x per day with and against the grain
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yellow pack Feathers.

I don't even know what black pack ones are.

I bought a sample pack. After using the Feathers first I couldn't use anything else.
View Quote

They really are that good. I just wish they were cheaper.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top