Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2002 2:14:01 AM EDT
Here is your chance to brag! All your hard work and ideas have paid off! On you way to millions?....or you still eat TV dinners. What is your experience in the world of Self Employment? What kind of Business are you running? and is it working?

Entrepreneur, YAY! or Ney! ???
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, is it working?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, whoever said easy come easy go, was not of the been there done that crowd.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
yea Sweep that looks like tough work, nice sig!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm working on my second million as we speak.  Been working on it ever since I gave up on getting the first one.  [whacko]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't "had a job" in over ten years. I do and buy whatever I want whenever I want.

I've never had economic hangups, so I don't think I am "rich" OR "poor", but I AM happy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
KeithBuckner, how did you get that lifesyle? sounds good!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Self employed does that mean like in my case being very inventive as to where your next check comes from?  Doing things you thought were just too laborious and trivial before?

Having owened 26 quality firearms,and now down to twenty,of which you are trying hard to hang on to?

Eating things out of cans and saying gee never knew these processed foods could taste so good(MRE)even taste like food!

Well I hope being(unimployed)and self employed may sound the same but not!     But I'm healthy wealthy and wise,as I still have my health(which no ammount of money can buy) and mentality about the same as anybody here(boy that can sure be up for grabs)   But wise to keep my ISP as you guys keep me strong!

Bob  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#12]
gaspain,
I became Self Employed. I now work in a "niche" market.

I build my own brand of PCs, and set up IT solutions for a few professional firms. I only accept business from "high end" clientele (referred ONLY by existing clients) who require "uncompromising" support. I quickly send "K-mart shoppers" (and "tire kickers") to K-mart.

The hardest part in starting out is NOT getting caught up in the "low bidder" market. Everybody loses in that world. The customer gets a cheap product, but no support, because the vendor eventually goes broke.

If a new client wants me to "bid" on a project, I give them Gateway's toll free number and tell them to call me when they get sick of all the screwed up crap they wind up with. I actually make more money fixing "cheap systems" than I do selling my premium setups. I have a HIGH return rate.

Being selective and keeping your client base SMALL is the key. This is VERY hard to achieve in the beginning, so make sure you have a decent size reserve to live on for a while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid I delivered the Times in the morning and the Tribune in the afternoon.
On weekends I pushed a lawnmower for about 4 neighbors.
My first real job as a busboy I kissed the waitress's ass (and got to nail several of them)to earn about nine dollars an hr with tips. Hey it was good money in the mid 70's.
I never really liked working for any one and found out that my dedication would always be exploited
I've been self employed (we have two small business's)for about 12 years now and I dig the shit out of it.
I can almost do what ever I want,go where ever I please,but the most important thing and the best thing is that I absolutly love my family and it really pleases me to spent time with them and do things for them.
Reguardless of how much you accru true sucess sould be measured at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top