Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2013 3:40:49 PM EDT
I stopped in to my LGS on the way home from work today. They called earlier in the day and notified me that my transfer had arrived, a new stripped Spike's spider lower. So I arrive all excited to get my hands on the start of my new build. I meet "Gunnar" at the counter and let him know I'm there to pick up my transfer. He says "great, you just need to fill this out, and I need to see your drivers license and your permit." "What permit?" I reply. "Either one, your conceal carry or permit to purchase," Gunnar replies. "But it's not a pistol. I still need a permit to purchase a lower?" I ask. Gunnar tells me that because it's a reciever it requires a permit to acquire. Great. My conceal carry is lapsed and I don't have a current permit to purchase. I didn't realize I needed a permit to purchase for a stripped lower. What an idiot. Thankfully, Gunnar said they would hold it until I got the permit. I'm filling out the application right now, to bring in tomorrow.

TL;DR -- didnt know I needed a permit to purchase a stripped lower. Left LGS empty handed. Feel stupid.

I await your ridicule.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need a permit.

Eta
Maybe my sarcasm meter needs re-calibrating.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't just fill out a 4473 and have them run the NICS?

What is a license to purchase? Some MN bullshit?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Must be a state thing.

I can buy lowers here no problem without a permit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a reason you feel stupid.  

Go with your gut.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I stopped in to my LGS on the way home from work today. They called earlier in the day and notified me that my transfer had arrived, a new stripped Spike's spider lower. So I arrive all excited to get my hands on the start of my new build. I meet "Gunnar" at the counter and let him know I'm there to pick up my transfer. He says "great, you just need to fill this out, and I need to see your drivers license and your permit." "What permit?" I reply. "Either one, your conceal carry or permit to purchase," Gunnar replies. "But it's not a pistol. I still need a permit to purchase a lower?" I ask. Gunnar tells me that because it's a reciever it requires a permit to acquire. Great. My conceal carry is lapsed and I don't have a current permit to purchase. I didn't realize I needed a permit to purchase for a stripped lower. What an idiot. Thankfully, Gunnar said they would hold it until I got the permit. I'm filling out the application right now, to bring in tomorrow.

TL;DR -- didnt know I needed a permit to purchase a stripped lower. Left LGS empty handed. Feel stupid.

I await your ridicule.
View Quote

Dude, you don't need a permit for a lower, unless you are registering it as a pistol. Unless there is a very strange state law about it, "Gunnar" is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats this permit you speak of?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, it's more Minnesota bullshit. You need a "permit to acquire" to purchase a pistol, but nothing for a shotgun or a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The only issue I know of is you can't buy them under 21 cause they're not a long gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
notsureifserious.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

View Quote

Yep. 4473 and about 5 minutes was all I needed for the last two I ordered from AIM.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard of the Ill. FOID Card, but, not for other states. & tax stamp for a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

looks like it is some bs because its a permit to purchase required to transfer/purchase "military-style assault weapons" and handguns through FFL dealers.
gunlaws
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, it's more Minnesota bullshit. You need a "permit to acquire" to purchase a pistol, but nothing for a shotgun or a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lower is not a pistol. Guy is still wrong. guess not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in NC as in MN you have to have a permit to purchase a pistol.  This is purchased through your local sheriffs department.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep. 4473 and about 5 minutes was all I needed for the last two I ordered from AIM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

Yeah, this one came from AIM as well. I was told that MN requires this permit because the state doesn't know what it will be, a pistol or a rifle and therefore they treat it as a pistol!?!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I once stopped at a gun store in IL and they asked for my permit so I could hold the gun.  I told him I'm not sure what permit so I gave him my MI CPL.  He treated me like a brother after that.  You need to get your concealed permit.  They treat you like royalty in the communist states.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, time to go get my concealed carry again. Never should have let it lapse.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I await your ridicule.
View Quote

no ridicule.  in terms of law, the receiver is the firearm.  everything else is just parts.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Question already answered.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, time to go get my concealed carry again. Never should have let it lapse.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lower is 'Other'. Can be assembled into a rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're not stupid, the law is. We have a 'permit to purchase a pistol' thing in MI if you don't have a CPL, but I don't think it extends to lower receivers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
"shall not be infringed"

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like de-facto assault weapon registration. What a load of shit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah, this one came from AIM as well. I was told that MN requires this permit because the state doesn't know what it will be, a pistol or a rifle and therefore they treat it as a pistol!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

Buy a stock and buffer tube from the LGS and put them on it.  Have them transfer it as a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#28]
In OP's state, no permit to purchase a LONG GUN.  A lower is NOT a long gun.  Just like you can not buy a lower OTC out of state, but you can buy a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think it is a requirement of the state, but it is pretty much the norm around here for "assault" rifles. Some places will sell you hunting style rifles, shotguns and bolt actions, etc. without a permit, but most places are requiring a permit in order to purchase from them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Buy a stock and buffer tube from the LGS and put them on it.  Have them transfer it as a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

Nope again.  Ruling from our ATF overloards changed several years ago. It must be assembled into a rifle, not just have a stock put on it.

You can buy a stocked lower and it is still listed as "other" these days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nope again.  Ruling from our ATF overloards changed several years ago. It must be assembled into a rifle, not just have a stock put on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A permit to purchase?

That's funny.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Won't work.  Minnesota law quoted below (emphasis added by me):

Permit to purchase required to transfer/purchase "military-style assault weapons" and handguns through FFL dealers. A permit to carry also acts as a permit to purchase for Minnesota residents. Traditional rifles and shotguns may be purchased without a permit. A permit not is required for private transfers between individuals
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#34]
you need a permit to purchase a lower ?   (points and laughs)

then again im in CA
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#36]
What's a permit to purchase? Why haven't  you guys repealed that nonsense yet?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet the law says that anything other than a bona fide long gun needs a purchase permit.

Stripped lowers aren't long guns, hence the permit.

I do find this, however, on the MN DPS web site...
If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun. The gun shop will require you to complete a consent form that allows them to conduct a name and date-of-birth background check to determine your eligibility to purchase a gun. The gun shops are entitled to charge a fee for this service.

And reading further, I can't find anything in MN statutes that says that anything other than a pistol or "assault weapon" requires a transfer permit.  there may be some regulation involved, but I can't find the code cite.

Pistol is defined as
Pistol.

"Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.

I then find this gem:
624.711 DECLARATION OF POLICY.

It is not the intent of the legislature to regulate shotguns, rifles and other longguns of the type commonly used for hunting and not defined as pistols or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons, or to place costs of administration upon those citizens who wish to possess or carry pistols or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons lawfully, or to confiscate or otherwise restrict the use of pistols or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons by law-abiding citizens.

And then they go on to create numerous code sections specifically to place costs of administration upon those citizens who want to possess or carry pistols or "assault weapons" as well as restruct their use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In OP's state, no permit to purchase a LONG GUN.  A lower is NOT a long gun.  Just like you can not buy a lower OTC out of state, but you can buy a rifle.
View Quote

From what I can find in the code, a permit is required to purchase a pistol or 'assault weapon".  A stripped lower is neither.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I did the same thing the first time i tried to buy a lower here, i needed a pistol permit, had it in a week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Permit to purchase lmao. My buddy told me about that POS.

I grew up in that hippie infested place everyone calls Minnesota, scootin around in their Volkswagens and Volvos like they're enlightened and worldly.

Permit to purchase, fuck right off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

From what I can find in the code, a permit is required to purchase a pistol or 'assault weapon".  A stripped lower is neither.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But don't you have to specify which it is/will be (i.e. long gun or pistol), when you transfer it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Once again, I am reminded that am American by birth but Southern by the grace of God.
Permit. To buy
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But don't you have to specify which it is/will be (i.e. long gun or pistol), when you transfer it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is correct from all I've read thus far. You don't need to specify on or the other.

@nehpets99, you know I'd love to move to a free state, but I have a perfect love-hate relationship with Minnesota. I love the landscape and the weather and all the outdoor things there are to do here. I can trace my ancestry in MN back to the early 1800's. I hate the liberal politics, the nanny state-ers, and the growing FSA. And Al Franken, fuck that guy!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so... a barret .50 cal, or a ak-47 with 75 round drum is ok...... but a .22 lr derringer is not?  makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]
WTF. Your state sucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Permit to purchase lmao. My buddy told me about that POS.

I grew up in that hippie infested place everyone calls Minnesota, scootin around in their Volkswagens and Volvos like they're enlightened and worldly.

Permit to purchase, fuck right off.
View Quote

I can identify with your communication style.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

so... a barret .50 cal, or a ak-47 with 75 round drum is ok...... but a .22 lr derringer is not? makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so... a barret .50 cal, or a ak-47 with 75 round drum is ok...... but a .22 lr derringer is not? makes sense.

Not sure about the Barrett, but the AK would be a no go, because it is a "military style assault weapon" and would require the permit to purchase.

Quoted:
WTF. Your state sucks.

I used to say the same about your state, right up until I realized that Wisconsin continues to move to the right, while Minnesota keeps slipping leftward. Got room over there in your free state? Oh, and your governor is f-Ing awesome too, nothing like governor "crazy eyes" Dayton over here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I used to say the same about your state, right up until I realized that Wisconsin continues to move to the right, while Minnesota keeps slipping leftward. Got room over there in your free state? Oh, and your governor is f-Ing awesome too, nothing like governor "crazy eyes" Dayton over here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF. Your state sucks.

There's plenty of room.  Do it  -- I did!  I moved just over the border more than 20 years ago after growing up in the Twin Cities.  Haven't regretted it.  Be advised there's still plenty of lefties here, though, especially in Madison.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#49]
And actually anthing with a pistol grip will reguire a permit or carry permit..  shotguns, 22 cal ar looking rifles ect.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Jesus are you in Illinois or some bullshit? Gross
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top