Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2002 1:25:23 PM EDT
This happened near Denver. The reward is only for the "submachine gun."  I guess they aren't as worried about the "flash grenade" as it can only be used once!  Good thinking guys!

DOUGLAS COUNTY - Investigators say they are pursuing several leads in the theft of some SWAT equipment from a Douglas County officer's car.

The theft happened in the parking lot of the Inverness Hotel on Tuesday, Oct. 22, and was recorded on surveillance tape. A submachine gun, ammunition, flash grenades and a bullet-proof helmet and vest were taken.

Investigators believe the thieves were randomly breaking into cars and just happened upon the police equipment.

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department is investigating the case. There's a $2,000 reward leading to the return of the submachine gun. Anyone with information about the gun or crime is asked to call 303-795-4711.

Edited to add "sarcasm"
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
This also happened in my city (Memphis,TN) about a year ago. Some gangstas broke into a Suburban SWAT vehicle and stole some MP5s. Not sure if they ever found all of them. Surprised they were stolen from within a secure vehicle surrounded by glass [rolleyes]  Guess when you're the govt you dont have to worry about your guns being stolen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you left your registered submachine gun in your car overnight and the car was broken into and it was stolen, I would assume that you as John Q. Citizen would be in some deep trouble.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, and a terrorist sleeper cell would never think to rob a police vehicle for weapons & explosives.

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That also happend to the Feds here in Memphis. Either the Fib's or FEMA I don't remember. But they emptied out a van. They got M16's, MP5's, and LMG's (M60's I think). MOST were recovered. Not all though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Always take your FA weapons into the house when you park your PD ride for the night...

I can't believe he was stupid enough to leave his subgun in the trunk. The bangs aren't such a big deal. Yeah, its a registered DD, but they generally only track them by the case. I have no idea what the serial #s are on mine, and they get blown up so regularly that there really isn't any point. The reload is what, $15 and the body $50?
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
natez-

Are you seriously saying that the flashbang is not a big deal?  I guess you would know as you are a LEO of some sort who trains with them.  

But from the outside, I would not want one thrown at me, much less thrown into a crowd of people.  And if the perps are bad enough to rob vehicles, they obviously do not have much in the way of inhibitions...

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
i bet the next time he goes for hot coffee and fresh doughnuts he'll remember to lock his car won't he?

ian
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
[that kid on the Simpson's] HA! HA![/mode off]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
link so I can use it against the "only police and military should have guns" crowd?
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That also happend to the Feds here in Memphis. Either the Fib's or FEMA I don't remember. But they emptied out a van. They got M16's, MP5's, and LMG's (M60's I think). MOST were recovered. Not all though.
View Quote

Please pardon my ignorance, but what would FEMA be doing with automatic weapons?
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
sharky30-

Here is the link, sorry I do not know how to "activate" it.  You should be able to cut & paste it no problem though.

http://www.9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=7840

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
ChuckT-

Just about every government agency around has some sort of SWAT team these days.  Even the Post Office has armed Postal Inspectors.

That is the scary thing, it was said here on AR15.com previously by a very wise member (whose name I can't recall) that, "A SWAT Team is like a hammer, once you have one, everything begins to look like a nail."

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks, I frequent some forums at www.dvdtalk.com and there are some hardcore anti's there and it's always good to have a variety of things to post in response to them
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Where did he get the bullet proof helmet[?]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Either the Fib's or FEMA I don't remember. But they emptied out a van. They got M16's, MP5's, and LMG's (M60's I think).
View Quote

[size=5][red]What the Fuck do they need LMG's for?!?!?!?!?[/red][/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either the Fib's or FEMA I don't remember. But they emptied out a van. They got M16's, MP5's, and LMG's (M60's I think).
View Quote

[size=5][red]What the Fuck do they need LMG's for?!?!?!?!?[/red][/size=5]
View Quote

Riot/looting control (shooting may not be needed... Who's gonna charge a sandbagged MG nest?), or dealing with crooks who have illegal LMGs...

Lemme guess, this is turning into another 'Cops should only have Glocks' thread...
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sub-guns, flashbangs, and LMGs oh my!
Sub-guns, flashbangs, and LMGs oh my!

"Who would need such lethal devices, anyway? And what would they be used for?" - Yer local asswiping liberal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#20]
UHLEK raises a very good point.  If any domestic LEO on this site can explain to me why they would need a LMG, I would love to hear it.

I know that the DEA folks mess with those things down South, but let's focus on domestic.

Holy Sh*t, did I just sabotage my own thread?  Or is this subject related enough...who gives a F*ck.

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
A few months back it was rumored that the FBI and INS just to name two out of several agencies,could NOT ACCOUNT for "LOST firearms(computers too!) during an inventory check!
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Wanna bet that this "stolen" equipment was insured?

They really want to get M4's and Point Blank Interceptors, couldn't get a appropriation, and resorted to this.

The snag being they didn't know the camera was there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The victim of this theft should be punished in the same manner as a home owner who had unsecured guns stolen from his home.

FWIW: In my agency SWAT officers keep their gear in their cars (POV or patrol car). M16A3 or M4 must be in locked trunk or cable locked to fixed object. Lot's of the guys drive SUV's or Minivans, so the rifle is cable locked to a seat bracket or such.
Yes, this absolutely increases the chance of the gear being stolen (over stored in an armory). But it cuts down the SWAT teams responce time by over an hour, which results in saved lives. To date, we have not had a rifle stolen. It will eventually happen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
9News is a bunch of liberal idiots, I am betting that this was a standard LEO AR-15 clone.

To my knowledge, limited as it is, no LEO's in the state carry Class III's in their patrol vehicles, but a lot do carry AR clones.

Of course maybe it was an MP-5, I don't have any info on those.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My bet is: They guns of law enforement will be recovered a lot faster than the D.C. shooter case was apperntly solved. I don't remember exactly, but, in the Memphis case it only took a couple of days from the reported theft of firearms from the "FBI's" suburban to recover them. Sure wish they (LAW ENFORCEMENT) would recover stolen firearms from us "po folk" as quickly, if at all. (RANT MODE OFF)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top