Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2013 7:50:10 PM EDT
It's a Craftsman, and it's probably two or three years old. It ran fine on the 4th, but now it won't crank. When I turn the key on, the hour meter turns on, but nothing else happens. This is with ass in seat, foot on brake, blades disengaged, and the choke on.

I tried jumping it, too. With the cables connected to the tractor, I could tap the other ends together and they'd spark with authority. Connecting them to a vehicle made no difference.

I'm pretty sure it's an electrical issue, but with all the nanny switches and whatnot, I'm not really sure where to look.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
See if it has a relay somewhere...it would be a standard box type relay that plugs into a receptacle, it could be loose.  Should be simple if you trace the ignition wires...not many wires on there to begin with.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess would be either the clutch switch or the one under the seat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Run a jumper from the positive terminal on the battery to the bolt on the starter where the power usually comes in. Do this with the key on. If it cranks it's either a relay somewhere or a solenoid gone bad.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See if it has a relay somewhere...it would be a standard box type relay that plugs into a receptacle, it could be loose.  Should be simple if you trace the ignition wires...not many wires on there to begin with.  Good luck.
View Quote

The starter relay most likely.  10 dollar part.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a fuse in there somewhere between the solenoid and the ign. switch. It's probably blown.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
i bypassed the seat nanny switches on mine, check the voltage on the battery it should be near 13v to start if not charge and try again, if it is charged it could be one of the relays, my craftsman has 3 mounted on the side panel near the steering column, sometimes the connections get dirty over time and just unplugging and plugging could fix it or one could be bad. If one is bad you could swap them around to narrow it down (they are most likely identical) or it could be the starter itself
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just had to replace key switch on mine. Same symptoms
$13 and change at sears
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you remember to push the brake lever all the way down when your tried to start it?

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you remember to push the brake lever all the way down when your tried to start it?

View Quote

Yes, in neutral and parking brake on?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parking brake disengages when the foot brake is depressed, and there isn't really a neutral. There's a forward pedal and a reverse pedal.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say my multimeter is in a place where I won't have access to it for a week. How would I diagnose this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let's say my multimeter is in a place where I won't have access to it for a week. How would I diagnose this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

see my post above

or with meter
Remove relay-
Check resistance between 85 & 86.
Should be "around" 70 OHMS or so.

There should be continuity between 30 & 87A.

When current is flowing between 85 & 86, there should be continuity between 30 & 87.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]

clean battery connections

check starter ground

check starter relay

My bet is safety switch  on clutch, pto or seat.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
does it have a manual lever or electric solenoid to engage the mower deck?

I have an older Craftsman 24HP that has an electric PTO clutch, PTO switch needs to be in off position for mower to start.

Also have a Scotts (John Deere) with manual PTO lever that likes to float in the off position, have to make sure it''s fully in the off position to engage the safety switch so mower will start.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

#4 wire from battery + term to the fat wire on the starter.  With key on, it should start.  Watch for sparks.  Everytime you start the mower, the contacts in the relay arc just as bad.  They might last 200 start cycles at the most because they are cheaply made and the contact plate doesn't rotate to expose fresh area each time.  This causes the disc to burn out.  If you were handy, you could pull the rivets out and see for yourself if the contacts are fried.  Then either fix the part or replace.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My guess would be either the clutch switch or the one under the seat.
View Quote

Which is why I bypassed those switches on my Craftsman riding mower.  The switches are cheap plastic and are not sealed against dirt and water.

You have to have the electrical schematic of the mower and genuinely understand the the circuit before attempting to bypass or disconnect anything.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Is your PTO engaged?

If it is they will generally not start. Disengage and try again.

MPD165
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Run a jumper from the positive terminal on the battery to the bolt on the starter where the power usually comes in. Do this with the key on. If it cranks it's either a relay somewhere or a solenoid gone bad.
View Quote

That got it running.

I guess that will have to get me by until I get it figured out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That got it running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That got it running.

Then it is that $10 relay you can get at O'Reily's Auto Parts.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That got it running.

Don't forget the diagnostic fee to the users of arfcom.   $50 per poster in this thread should do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]
There is also a ground under the seat on the right hand side. The bolt on this worked loose and when it was not in contact, it would have the same exact symptoms as yours. Then it would shifts and make contact and everything would be fine for a while. Once it got too loose, it wouldn't start at all. it drove me nuts trying to find it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say starter solenoid up under the tank probably.

Just replaced mine. They are notorious for going out. One reason tractor supply carries them. You can check it with a test light or multimeter while having someone turn the key.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The starter relay solenoid most likely.  10 20 dollar part.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The starter relay solenoid most likely.  10 20 dollar part.

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i bypassed the seat nanny switches on mine, check the voltage on the battery it should be near 13v to start if not charge and try again, if it is charged it could be one of the relays, my craftsman has 3 mounted on the side panel near the steering column, sometimes the connections get dirty over time and just unplugging and plugging could fix it or one could be bad. If one is bad you could swap them around to narrow it down (they are most likely identical) or it could be the starter itself
View Quote

12.6 is fully charged.

Should start with a tad under 12.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Also check the clutch switch and make sure the tabs didnt break off. If you push too hard on the pedal, you can break the tabs off of the switch. If the tabs are broken, the plunger won't push down allowing the unit to start.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Seat safety switch wire vibrated off.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top