Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2002 9:28:14 AM EDT
Hello!

So, I have some questions. . . . How does posession of firearms work when serving? Specifically:

I'll get moved around a lot I suppose. . . can I take my guns w/me, or do I have to find someplace to store them?

If I can take them, what about Class 3 stuff at a base in a non-class three state?

What about overseas?

Ok, where is my state of residency? (Currently OR). I have surpressors now, and will be getting a MG. What if I get stuck in some non-class 3 state?

Do I leave everything in a safe at a friends house or something?

Etc, Etc, Etc??????

Any info you have / experiance would  be greatly appreciated!

-Justin

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
we where able to keep them in the armorey if you lived in the barraicks.and if you lived in housing keep them at home.but this was 10 years ago.know getting them overseas i don't know how you would transport them there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can keep your guns.
If you live in the barracks, the guns will be kept in the arms room and you will sign them out when you want to used them (same as the military weapons). If you live in post housing you can keep them in your house, but they must be registered with the Provost Marshall. If you are deployed, the guns will stay in the arms room. When you move to a different duty station you take them with you. If you are stationed overseas, it will depend on the country your stationed in, but in most cases no. Im not sure but i believe Germany is the only place that will allow you to have guns however they require so much registration and paperwork that i would just leave them home. Class 3 stuff will be treated the same as everything else, just keep your paperwork handy and forget about taking it into non-class 3 states. I was an Infantryman in the US Army and spen a year as an armorer, so I had alot of experience with this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
JTR:

Q.  How does posession of firearms work when serving?

A.  You must follow the laws of the state or country where you are stationed at. The best thing for you to do is contact the base where you plan on being stationed.

Q.  I'll get moved around a lot I suppose. . . can I take my guns w/me, or do I have to find someplace to store them?

A.  Yes, you will get moved around quite a bit.
You can take your firearms with you, however, if you get stationed in Kalifornication (or some other "occupied" state) you will either have to leave the "defined illegal" firarms somewhere else. You may be able to store the "defined illegal" firarms on base in the armory, as I said above, you need to check with the base where you are going to.
You may also need a "letter of permission" from the state. In the case of Kalifornication you will never ever be able to remove those "defined illegal" firarms for use outside of the base.

Q.  If I can take them, what about Class 3 stuff at a base in a non-class three state?

A.  Not gonna happen. When you move you are required by the ATF to inform them where your Class 3 stuff is going. There is no way that the ATF is going to give you a "permission slip" to move Class 3 firearms to a non-Class 3 state, unless you are a manufacturer.

Q.  What about overseas?

A.  Class 3 no way. Certain types of Non-Class 3 weapons may be transported out of the country. You might as well forget taking anything that starts with "semi-auto".

Q.  Ok, where is my state of residency? (Currently OR).

A.  Where ever you make it. You can change your record of residency at anytime (if you are Enlisted). Does Oregon have an income tax? If so, change your state of residency to Washington or Texas. You may have to prove that you are a resident, drivers liscense, vehicle registration, voter registration, home/land ownership.

Q.  I have surpressors now, and will be getting a MG. What if I get stuck in some non-class 3 state?

A.  Tell the ATF that you have them locked up in a safety deposit box at a bank in Oregon.

Q.  Do I leave everything in a safe at a friends house or something?

A.  You can't leave your Class 3 with a friend.

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that if you do get transfered to kalifornia, you CAN, as a person in the military, still register everything BUT AOW, C3, AND SUPRESSORS. like ar's, ak's, and everything on the list or covered in the states "you cant have this" booklet.

and you let the caldoj know when you are transferred back out of the state.

I have only heard of this but a call to the caldoj would be the only way to confirm it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
freeride21a,
The registration period is over.
Military personnel are not treated any different than the citizens of Kalifornication.
I was going to be stationed in Kali, I called the Kaliban DOJ and asked, they sent me a letter stating that I could bring "Roberti-Ross and SB23 banned" firearms into the state if:
1.  I was transfered to the state under military PCS orders.
2.  The base commander and base instructions allowed it.
3.  It was never going to leave the armory unless I was transfered out of state via PCS military orders.
4.  I was not a citizen of the state of Kalifornication.

Paul the Moderator is currently stationed in Kalifornication, I wish he had let me "babysit" his AR15 children while he is doing a tour of duty in Occupied America.
He can tell you what the real deal is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top