Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
IBFUCKTHEFRENCHHERPDERPI'MARETARDEDREDNECK
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Good write up,  thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got no issues with the French military.  It's the French civilians I have problems with.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn near everything I've read about the French in Afghanistan has been extremely positive.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I once drank some beers with FFL paratroopers from the 2nd REP

Off to read the article

Monk
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Good article. I think they're are a lot of misconceptions about the French and the French Military that are common in this Country.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got no issue with the French civilians or the French military, it's the French government circa the late 30's and early 40's that I have a problem with.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Mmm, crepes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Good article, I worked with them back in the Gulf War and had no issues with them..
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]

I went on a week-long mission to a combat outpost with a French recon platoon. The outpost was at the furthest edge of coalition control, surrounded by Taliban. One of their company XO’s, a captain, accompanied us. When we occupied the outpost, the first thing the troops did was pop open beers and break out steaks to grill.

I had a conversation with the French captain about stupid things that happen in the American military, like the sergeant major and captain in Iraq whose only apparent duty was screaming at troops in the DFAC for wearing paracord bracelets. I’ll never forget the French captain standing there totally relaxed with a beer in hand, without armor or helmet, troops drinking and grilling behind him, telling me, “Things like that don’t happen in the French Army.”
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fuck the Frenchie Frogs. Murica motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have they ever done for us?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have quite a few French military friends, primarily French Marines (8eme RPIMa), and have zero misgivings about their professionalism and heart.

ETA:  A couple of them signed the affidavit that got me my French jump wings and diploma, as well as the beret badge pictured in my avatar.

and the broken leg?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The French Marine with the .50 BMG rifle and the MINIMI sounds like a cool dude.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I would go to war in a heartbeat with the French soldiers I attended French Commando School with.  They were not a joke.

I love how over and over the American sexual neuroses rears their heads when contrasted against ANYONE else in the entire world.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Good read so far.  I will finish it up later.  I'd serve with them with no hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
"...Oh, and I don’t remember seeing even one French soldier wearing a reflective belt...."
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that whole Revolutionary War thing...
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Terrific article.  I am a huge patriot, and incredibly proud of our troops, but I think the story of our Allie's sacrifices the past 12 years is woefully underreported in the US press.  Not surprising since they are just a PR machine for the junta.

What percentage of Americans even know that Poles, Danes, Germans, French, Aussie troops among others have fought the WoT?

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Never worked with them...guys I've talked to that have had good things to say about the French.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread needs more Alizee.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+87
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#23]
+1

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I went on a week-long mission to a combat outpost with a French recon platoon. The outpost was at the furthest edge of coalition control, surrounded by Taliban. One of their company XO’s, a captain, accompanied us. When we occupied the outpost, the first thing the troops did was pop open beers and break out steaks to grill.

I had a conversation with the French captain about stupid things that happen in the American military, like the sergeant major and captain in Iraq whose only apparent duty was screaming at troops in the DFAC for wearing paracord bracelets. I’ll never forget the French captain standing there totally relaxed with a beer in hand, without armor or helmet, troops drinking and grilling behind him, telling me, "Things like that don’t happen in the French Army.”
I have a friend who was a Marine Officer for the whole Beirut Bombing fiasco.  The French were tasked with covering the USMC during their withdrawal.  By his account this is roughly how it happened.  The French Foreign Legion unit in Beirut took up a defensive position.  They then summoned the local mullahs to a meeting.  Words were exchanged to the effect of "You know us, you know us in your bones, you know what we can do if provoked.  Nobody shoots at anybody while we're in the area or lots and lots of bad things will start happening."  By the end of the week the French were patrolling like it was a stroll down the Champs d'Elysees.  He swore they were as certifiably bad ass.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Worked with French Marines, they liked to kick ass. Worked with French Cavalry, all they did was drink and BBQ.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Other than their extra tight cammies the French troops tend be alright; they just do things their way
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#27]
The author of that article is a great guy.

Good link.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I know some CCTs who had the French work with them in AFGHANISTAN , they were the biggest pussies, when there was a  TIC the frenchies would tuck tail and run back to the FOB
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#29]
a freak hailstorm killed three?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Great article. I worked with French dudes at NATO, squared away bunch. Never deployed with any of them, but I would without a problem.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
a freak hailstorm killed three?

I noticed that too.  Must have taken a fall during a patrol or seeking cover from the hail is the best guess I've got.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you're joking, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that we'd be still be drinking tea and eating crumpets if it were not for the French.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've got no issues with the French military.  It's the French civilians I have problems with.

This is a complaint better titled problems with Parisians not out side of Paris civilians.
I spent a week in Burgundy doing a story and they were as friendly and gracious as anywhere in the world of nice people.

In Paris, you get my agreement.

I remember a group of obnoxious French at an airport being rude and pushy and I simply said "I am guessing you people are from Paris". One smiled as if that was a compliment and said "yes, how did you know".
I said "because French people from anywhere else in France were not pompous condescending asses"
He turned red and indignant and people behind me clapped so I turned around to diffuse the situation but as I said there are Parisians and then there are the very nice French.
That is often the case in many (not all) countries where the worst manners are in the principle city(ie)

Wulfmann

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a conversation with the French captain about stupid things that happen in the American military, like the sergeant major and captain in Iraq whose only apparent duty was screaming at troops in the DFAC for wearing paracord bracelets. I’ll never forget the French captain standing there totally relaxed with a beer in hand, without armor or helmet, troops drinking and grilling behind him, telling me, "Things like that don’t happen in the French Army.”
I have a friend who was a Marine Officer for the whole Beirut Bombing fiasco.  The French were tasked with covering the USMC during their withdrawal.  By his account this is roughly how it happened.  The French Foreign Legion unit in Beirut took up a defensive position.  They then summoned the local mullahs to a meeting.  Words were exchanged to the effect of "You know us, you know us in your bones, you know what we can do if provoked.  Nobody shoots at anybody while we're in the area or lots and lots of bad things will start happening."  By the end of the week the French were patrolling like it was a stroll down the Champs d'Elysees.  He swore they were as certifiably bad ass.  

Weren't the French also attacked during the bombing of the Marines' barracks? It's my understanding though that their ROE allowed them to be more able to thwart the attack.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Great article, since before we were in Scotland, we were in France, an opinion that the French are cowards is like judging us by Hollywood and DC.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#36]
They had a fantastic cafe in the flightline ops area in Kyrgyzstan in 2002. They were able to procure fresh food locally unlike the USAF which had all their shit coming out of a box. We ate there quite a bit. They liked hookers too. A LOT. Like STD ramgpage a lot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Like most Euro militaries, they are excellent at the squad to company/battalion level, and are lost at the brigade and above level. BDE and above operations are about planning, and most Euro militaries just don't do that kind of operations, anymore, esp. with regard to major combat operations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you're joking, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that we'd be still be drinking tea and eating crumpets if it were not for the French.

Current leadership aside, the French have a pretty awesome history of detetmining their own future and at the will of their people.  The basis of the subsequent French republics is what any good American should admire.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Had interaction with some on KKMC during the first Gulf War. Pretty good troops.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good article. I think they're are a lot of misconceptions about the French and the French Military that are common in this Country.

...combined with an equally odd kneejerk love for the Greeks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a complaint better titled problems with Parisians not out side of Paris civilians.
I spent a week in Burgundy doing a story and they were as friendly and gracious as anywhere in the world of nice people.

In Paris, you get my agreement.

I remember a group of obnoxious French at an airport being rude and pushy and I simply said "I am guessing you people are from Paris". One smiled as if that was a compliment and said "yes, how did you know".
I said "because French people from anywhere else in France were not pompous condescending asses"
He turned red and indignant and people behind me clapped so I turned around to diffuse the situation but as I said there are Parisians and then there are the very nice French.
That is often the case in many (not all) countries where the worst manners are in the principle city(ie)

Wulfmann

So Parisians are analogous to our Texans?

Got it.

Who fucking cares If Parisians are dicks.  Tough shit if they don't kiss your ass.  Maybe they are right
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The French Marine with the .50 BMG rifle and the MINIMI sounds like a cool dude.

I'd say he sounds like a beast..lol

I did my share of humping a 240 and 249.. can't imagine doing it with something like a Barret on my back too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#43]

My relative (0-5) has been a France-liason officer with the USMC several times over his 25 year career working closely with all aspects of the French military.  

He is fluent in French (was trained at DLI or whatever its called...).  He has served in Paris, French military schools, in Africa, Iraq, etc.

He says the French military is good-to-go.  As has been said- the issue is the politicians / left-leaning populace.

The French hate terrorists as much as we do- they are a stone's throw from N. Africa which is now a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Great writing style, by the way.

"Americans drink soda instead of alcohol to avoid offending Afghans, who of course are drinking alcohol with the French."

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The French did use to own Syria.  There might have been some cultural fear at play too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Jumped with a squad of French troops back in Germany for a Bundeswehr Airborne Rodeo.  They seemed very professional.

The funny thing was we jumped with the Germans and the French on the same day. The DZ was on the border of France and Germany.  

The day was June 5th.

What's even funnier was one of the Americans barks out while we were sitting on the DZ after the jump: "Hey man, isn't today the 5th of June?"

I responded:"No shit, it is, isn't it?  Cool."

Bundesewehr Guys:
Us:

I guess we thought it was cool to jump with those two nations on the anniversary of the drop into D-Day.  Either the Germans didn't get it, or didn't like it.

Was a really great experience either way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got no issue with the French civilians or the French military, it's the French government circa the late 30's and early 40's that I have a problem with.

It's not just the 30s and 40s. The French government is the subject of my scorn. I've no doubt that their guys are as good as any of our allies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Mmm, crepes.

All your French Toast belong me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't burn our capital down....for one...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top