Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2002 8:03:55 PM EDT
Dara Hassanzadeh, the fellow who wrote the summary about Nadia Nasser's and Udo Van (Von?) Kampen's little foray for ZDF among the "US-Waffen-Fanatiker", that is to be seen at
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=150774&page=1[/url]

also is quite the extreme traveler as well as reporter. He writes about going to Afghanistan recently... and guess what this anti-gun writer (at least when it comes to Americans...) gets to do AND say in Afghanistan........ I had fun translating it- hope you like reading it.

[url]http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:ZhxTx9RJwjwC:www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/0,1872,1000105,00.html+%22Dara+Hassanzadeh%22++Waffen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Schiessübungen mit der Kalaschnikov
View Quote

Practice shooting with the Kalashnikov

Ob ich auch mal schießen möchte, werde ich plötzlich gefragt. 'Ähh, ja', ist meine zögerliche Antwort. Es ist wahrscheinlich mein schlechtes Gewissen als Ex-Zivis, dass es mir unmöglich macht, mehr Begeisterung zu zeigen. Afridi drückt mir das Gewehr in die Hand. 'Take care this thing kills', warnt er mich. Ich hatte noch nie in meinem Leben mit einem echten Gewehr geschossen. Meine Erfahrungen im Umgang mit Waffen beschränken sich auf mehr oder weniger erfolgreiches Rosenschießen auf Volksfesten. Kalt und schwer fühlt sich die Kalaschnikov an. Nervös halte ich das Gewehr im Anschlag und suche nach einem Ziel: Einen weißen Felsen finde ich. Zwei, drei Sekunden brauche ich, bis ich mich traue abzudrücken.
View Quote

Do you want to shoot? I am suddenly asked. "Uh, yeah....suuure" is my halting answer. It's probably due to my guilty conscience as an ex-member of alternative service* that makes it impossible for me to show more enthusiasm. Afridi puts the gun in my hand. "Take care, this thing kills, he warns me. I had never before in my life fired a real gun. My experiences with weapons are limited to more or less successful airgun shooting at carnivals. The Kalashnikov feels cold and heavy. I hold the rifle in the firing position and seek a target: I find one, a big white rock. I need two, three seconds until I can trust myself to pull the trigger.

(*compulsory duty for conscientious objectors, instead of armed, uniformed military service),

Peng mein Trommelfell vibriert, ein leichter Rückschlag drückt gegen die Schulter, es funkt am Felsen. Treffer. Geiles Gefühl. Nochmal und noch mal drücke ich ab. Afridi sieht wohl meine Faszination und richtet mir Dauerfeuer ein. Es ist ein ohrenbetäubender Lärm, die Patronenhülsen fliegen wild in alle Richtungen und ich ballere noch wilder in die Luft. 'This is the Land of Freedom', rufe ich Afridi völlig überwältigt zu wäre jetzt Musterung, ich hätte mich wohl auf Jahre verpflichtet.
View Quote

BANG, my eardrums vibrate, a light recoil presses against my shoulder, and I see sparks on the cliff. A super feeling. Again and again, I pull the trigger. I guess Afridi sees my fascination and sets me on continuous fire. It is an ear-deafening noise, the cartridge shells fly wildly in all directions, and I let loose even more wildly in the air. "This is the Land of Freedom!", I call to Afridi, totally overcome. If this were the examination for recuits, I suppose I would have enlisted for many years.

Es dauert, bis ich wieder zur Vernunft komme. Jede Familie hat hier mindestens zehn Kalaschnikovs, erzählt mir der Lehrer und wenn Waffen greifbar seien, werden sie eben auch zur Konfliktlösung benutzt. Das sei ein Problem. Andererseits bringen sie auch Sicherheit. Wenn in dem Tribal Area einem Familienmitglied etwas angetan werde, so Shajehan, dann habe der in seiner Ehre verletzte Clan das Recht zur Blutrache an irgendeinem Mitglied der Familie. Dadurch müsse sich jeder immer seiner Verantwortung gegenüber seinen nächsten Verwandten bewusst sein.
View Quote

This goes on until I return to my senses. According to the teacher, every family has at least ten Kalashnikovs, and if weapons are within reach, they are then used to solve conflicts. That's a problem. On one hand they bring security. If, in the tribal area, somebody does something to any member of the family, according to Shahjehan, then the clan whose honor has been besmirched has the right to blood revenge. In so doing, everyone must always be conscious of his responsibility towards his closest relatives.

Es ist mittlerweile Mittag und wir kehren bei einem Cousin von Shajehan ein. Wer um die Mittagszeit an eine Tür klopft und Einlass herhält, wird nicht nur zum Essen eingeladen, er darf es auch nicht ablehnen. Eine Beleidigung ohnegleichen, die man bei den heißblütigem Temperament und der Waffendichte besser nicht begeht. Aber zum Essen hat man mich ja noch nie zwingen müssen. Afridi erzählt seinen Verwandten von meiner Schusswut und auch von meiner Unbeholfenheit im Umgang mit Waffen, die hier bei einem 28-jährigen Mann nicht denkbar wäre. Die Familie lacht und der Cousin erzählt die Geschichte von einem anderen Deutschen, dessen Begeisterung für Waffen und der Region, darin endete, dass er einen russischen Panzer kaufte und nach Deutschland verschiffen ließ.
View Quote

In the meantime it is now noon, and we call on a cousin of Shahjehan.  Whoever knocks on a door at noontime, and is allowed to enter, is not only invited to eat, but not allowed to refuse. An unparalled insult, that one dare not commit around such hot-looded temperaments and such a density of weapons. But one would not have had to force me to sit down to eat for very long. Afridi tells his relatives about my shooting frenzy and also about my clumsiness around guns, something which here would be unthinkable in a 28 year old man. the family laughs and the cousin tells the story of another German, whose enthusiasm for guns and for the region culminated in him buying a Russian tank and having it shipped back to Germany.

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]It's probably due to my guilty conscience as an ex-member of alternative service*...[/b]

*Closest American analogy: Liberal Bed-Wetter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top