Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2002 5:56:14 PM EDT
Hey, guys.  Could someone set me straight on this?

I want to get a pre-ban AR (either lower, or the whole rifle).

My intent is to eventually suppress it (most likely with a .45 upper, and/or .458 SOCOM and possibly .300 Whisper).

It is my understanding that you have to have a pre-ban to do this, since adding a suppressor to a post-ban AR is a no-no.

However, is it OK to take a pre-ban lower alone and do this, or do I have to have the entire rifle (as it was made back before 1994) to be able to swap out the upper for a suppressed upper?

Also, is EA (Eagle Arms?) a decent pre-ban AR?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Greywolf2112:

Don't want to pop the bubble, but preban or not, you need other paperwork to have a suppressor legally.

A flash suppressor yes on a preban, silencer NO.

EA is Essential Arms.

Check this link:

[url]http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/serial.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Arms pre-bans are excellent rifles. You can verify whether it is a pre-ban lower at the Armalite website. Eagle Arms bought the Armalite name, so Armalite now is basically Eagle Arms with a different name.

I'm not familiar enough with Essential Arms (the other EA) to comment on those.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't say enough good things about my Eagle Arms AR. The fit and finish is impeccable, and I am using my Colt for a comparison! EA(Essential Arms, by my understanding is a stay away from, by everything I have heard. In regards to your pre-ban question, I used to be a FFL dealer when it was fun. I would check with title II.com.

[x]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys - yes, I realize that you have to get a bunch of paperwork and $200 tax, etc. for the suppressor.  My main concern was being legal with regards to the AW ban for semi-autos.  Since the rifle will more than likely end up on the paperwork as the platform for the suppressor, I've got to cover my ass :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top