Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2002 12:03:12 PM EDT
Lawsuits have been started over less. Don't know who you'd direct it towards, not that that really mattered. Maybe the VPC for "defemation of character" or something. I mean, people said on TV that anybody who owned an AR-15 was a nut and a loser. I fail to be both.

Hell, why not a big lawsuit? Any lawyers here?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered about a class-action lawsuit filed by some class of firearm owners against some/all the large media conglomerates.  Not just your local radio/TV/newspaper but the big networks like ABC, CNN etc.  If they can be so reckless with the facts and statements why can't they be held accountable.  Certainly a pattern of behavior exists that can show intent.  I agree.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want to ban free speech?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
m193: No, we're just looking for "reasonable and common sense controls". If you have nothing to slander, you have nothing to fear.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you want to ban free speech?
View Quote

I believe slander and defamation of character are NOT protected by the first Amendment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to start another topic, but I will put it in here. I just came home from doctor stopped to eat. Was wearing my Bushmaster T-Shirt. Someone walks up to me and calls me a murder...I was going to pull my Glock out and prove it. Things are getting F-up. This was on Long Island in the Nathans Hot dog place.

I am in for a class action law suite..This is going beyond FREE SPEECH...This is HARASSMENT
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the notion of a class action lawsuit. I doubt it would fly but, as noted,  there is enough evidence of false statements and outright lies about gun owners.

"Resonable and Common Sense controls." LOL, I like it. Throw their shit back at them. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Im in.. Who wants to start putting this thing together. Im not a Lawyer just a (dumb! as the media would see me)Gunsmith!
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I see no problem with a civil suit against the news media.

There's no Constitutional conerns since the Constitution concerns itsself with criminal law and not civil law.

Remember the people who sued Paladin Press?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My understanding is that to file a class-action suit you first have to prove you're a member of a "class" then prove how as a member of that class you have been injured in a way that can be compensated.  It's like being a sub-class of the class.  Maybe the class is firearm owners and the sub-class is black rifle owners.  Or black rifle owner class and Bushmaster owner sub-class.  Something like that.  I'm neither an attorney nor do I play one on TV.  Just work and live around some.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was going to start another topic, but I will put it in here. I just came home from doctor stopped to eat. Was wearing my Bushmaster T-Shirt. Someone walks up to me and calls me a murder...I was going to pull my Glock out and prove it. Things are getting F-up. This was on Long Island in the Nathans Hot dog place.

I am in for a class action law suite..This is going beyond FREE SPEECH...This is HARASSMENT
View Quote

I guess this means we can't wear Chevy or MR.Goodwrench shirts either, you are exactly right things are F--ked up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
WE are in a class, a class of nutjobs [%|]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I am all for this and have been for years!!
We are part of a firearms owning sub-class that like Semi-Auto rifles. Now the reason would be the constant abuse of language such as refering to every rifle as an "Assault Rifle", "Tactical Sniper Rifle", "AK-47" etc. Then no matter what type of rifle was used every damn News article shows in the backround a picture of an AK-47, or AR15 even though maybe some idiot used nothing more than a $50 Jennings .22- we have been wronged for years.
Just think if every time someone robbed a bank or stole a car they showed in the backround a Black Man. Everytime a crime was committed another picture of a non-descript Black Man. Every time they mentioned a perp or drug dealer they mention a person with skin that conceals their activity from authorities in the dark and always showing more Black Men. If the news operated in this manner always showing Black Men in context of crime the ACLU and lawyers in this country would eat them alive.
Say for example everytime someone wrecked a car or drove drunk and wrecked they showed Corvettes- or maybe a Camaro. Always saying that the car could have been a "Fast Car". That people who own Fast Cars only do so because they are wreckless and worse yet only because they want to kill someone. "Who needs a car that can go over 65MPH?" No one because going over 65MPH is illegal! Maybe focus on Car Shows where people are trading and buying parts to make their cars go faster with the sole purpose to kill more people on our highways. Now this would outrage half of America.

We do have a case and it is time we start uniting people to press this issue. It is the media's blatant wrongful portayal of gun owners that is costing us our rights. Most people don't understand how few cases involving firearms actually have firearms that are Semi-Auto sporting weapons. Less than 2% of cases have these types of weapons yet they make up for nearly 95% of the pictures and media focus.    
Class action, the liberals taught us this method and it is time we turn the table back on them.

I think no less than 20 Billion Dollars in Defamation and Slander would be suffice.

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Since I'm a history major, and have lots of free time, I'll give this a shot. Also, it's my thread.

Alright, my uncle is a lawyer a county south, and I'm going to call him up and have him send me stuff on Class action lawsuits. I'll start there.

Then I'll put out some emails to the companies, Bushmaster, Armalite, etc. And see their opinions. You know, spreading of blatently false facts in the media and by VPC, Brady are hurting their business, and causing financial loss.

I'll also contact the VCDL and GOA, maybe some other groups. They might know of stuff, or have places I can check into.

Then, what I think I need from you guys is this. a)If what happened to edpmedic happens to you:
Get a Cop. Get something on record that you were harrassed. Even filing a complaint works, that's a paper trail. Doesn't even have to go further. Even "better" if you've had an incident at work, and lost wages or something.
b) If you see a complete bullshit anti-gun story that either prints lies about rifles, or lies and offensive comments about gun owners, get the URL and send it to me. T
c)Send me the above at [email protected]  (just created that)

Now, I'm no lawyer, I'm just related to one. But I'll give it a shot, since I have the time, and I'm bored.

But, from my limited knowledge, if we can show that deliberate lies by anti-gun groups, commentators, and media outlets have caused harrasment, defamation, and montary loss to our type of folks, maybe we can do something.

I'm not shitting you either, I'll at least give it a shot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Right!

I'm not a [b]Machinegun Nut[/b]! - I'm a [u][i]Stamp Collector[/i][/u] !
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in, what do I need to do to join in on this lawsuit.
Gary Majors

I have been waiting for something like this for a long long time. I hope this will be a wake up call for all shooters and hunters.
Editted to add;
By the way ballistic fingerprinting did NOTHING! to help in this case.
However MUSLIMS, who shall not be profiled, were the killers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]
[size=6]"PAGING MR. ERIC THE HUN."

"WOULD A MR. THE HUN PLEASE PICK UP A WHITE COURTESY PHONE?"

"MR. THE HUN, PLEASE MEET YOUR PARTY IN THE CLASS ACTION BALLROOM."[/size=6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Spade I'm in. I'll send you everything that I believe is relevant to the case. But are you sure that YOU'RE in this for the long haul? Are you sure that this isn't just a momentary fit of rage at the media? If not, then you have an ally in me.

Is there anything in particular that I should look for or see as relevant to the case? I already will document personal harassment experiences because of my black rifle / AR ownership. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
how about a lawsuit against the state of Maryland for denying it's citizens their constitutional right to protect themselves to the best of their ability?

p.s. I bought a bushmaster xm-15 two weeks ago, and the looks on everyone's face as I walked out of the store made me feel like osama. so yea, I'm in.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I am in for a class action.  When this thing gets going, you need a statement, contact info, etc. IM me and I will return a phone call or email.  

EVERYBODY POST THIS ON ALL THE OTHER BOARDS!  AS IN, YESTERDAY, and report back when you have posted it and where.  Thanks guys, let's roll.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey Spade I'm in. I'll send you everything that I believe is relevant to the case. But are you sure that YOU'RE in this for the long haul? Are you sure that this isn't just a momentary fit of rage at the media? If not, then you have an ally in me.

Is there anything in particular that I should look for or see as relevant to the case? I already will document personal harassment experiences because of my black rifle / AR ownership. Thanks.
View Quote

Like I said, I'll do what I can.

But yeah, document harasement both personal and in your local media. Remember, everytime they paint a bad picture of a Black Rifle it reflects on YOU.

And if you get personally harassed, report it to a cop or other authority. Claim it made you afraid or something. Doesn't matter as long as a complaint is on file somewhere. Remember that.

And yeah, wiggy reminds me, isn't Eric The Hun a lawyer? His comments would be great, since he'd by the authority on law that I am not. My only experience with harrasment cases comes through another family member. That's what I'm going on.

But remember, document everthing. Write it all down, and if a document is also on file with the cops, so much the better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT, this deserves attention AND action.  Mods, a tack please?  
Spade, you might want to edit the thread title to something more indicative of the intent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My understanding is that to file a class-action suit you first have to prove you're a member of a "class" then prove how as a member of that class you have been injured in a way that can be compensated.  It's like being a sub-class of the class.  Maybe the class is firearm owners and the sub-class is black rifle owners.  Or black rifle owner class and Bushmaster owner sub-class.  Something like that.  I'm neither an attorney nor do I play one on TV.  Just work and live around some.
View Quote

I do not believe this is so, from what I understand a class action law suit is one in which more than one person is suing an entity over the same thing, and they join together to file suit.

I say this because a few years ago I was involved in a class action law suit against a credit collection organization.  I was contacted by a lawyer that explained that he was suing the collection agency for illegal practices, and asked if I wanted to join.  I do not recall him having to prove a class of people, just that we all had the same grievance against the same company.

Could be wrong on this, just what I remember about the suit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I would tack it but we already have too many topics "tacked" at the moment...

Interesting thread, to be sure - BTT all you want [:)]

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]
BTT.  I wonder why nobody is interested in participating in a for-real offensive for once?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Wet blanket time...

The press is protected against slander and libel charges, even if you can prove their statements are false, by the doctrine of absence of malice.

They are only liable if they did it knowingly (maybe they did) AND with intent to harm.

The later part (intent to harm) is almost impossible to prove.  They just argue that their intent was to express an opinion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, no wonder this is getting no response.  Perhaps pressure on legislators?  AlphaBob, our firearms rights are clearly delineated by the Second Amendment, that doesn't stop the liberal bed wetters from trying.  What, it's OK for the media and .gov to infringe on the Second Amendment, and the First Amendment too (Campaign Finance Reform), but when it comes down to us, we should let them say what they want?  I say fight fucking dirty!  Fight fire with fire, and when they agree to get thier grubby slimy hands off my Second Amendment rights, then I'll reciprocate by laying off the First Amendment rights of the media.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wet blanket time...

The press is protected against slander and libel charges, even if you can prove their statements are false, by the doctrine of absence of malice.

They are only liable if they did it knowingly (maybe they did) AND with intent to harm.

The later part (intent to harm) is almost impossible to prove.  They just argue that their intent was to express an opinion.
View Quote

What about VPC, Brady, and HCI?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fight fire with fire, and when they agree to get thier grubby slimy hands off my Second Amendment rights, then I'll reciprocate by laying off the First Amendment rights of the media.
View Quote

No problem at all with that thought!  But I think the thought of a class-action is weak, at best.  Believe me, I'm tired of listening to all the anti-crap too.  I just wouldn't have the energy to spend on a class-action because I feel that particular approach is a lost cause.

I've said it several times today (I know we all understand it)...The key question is how the Brady Check failed.  Had this liberal-backed system not failed, there would have been no sniper.  And since dozens (hundreds?) of laws were broken, who, in their right mind, would think another law would help?

[soapbox]Damn it!  Enforce the damned laws we have.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey im in, but I have a warning... if this goes to court and fails, it opens the floodgates for the networks and other liberal rags to bury us.

so whatever facts we have on our side not only has to help our cause win but has to DESTROY the opposition. I mean that they CANNOT get back up. I mean to the point where when a gun story comes up, they run in the opposite direction.

Its NOT to quench the First Amendment. Its so THEY dont abuse it.

How's that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top