Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2002 11:02:47 AM EDT
[url]http://www.vpc.org/bushmaster.htm[/url]
I just got off the phone with Matt at Bushmaster and informed him of the copyright infringement at the violence policy center and he is pissed that they used copyrighted material belonging to Bushmaster for the anti purpose.
He is giving it to "legal" and the PR people as I type this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Kudoes to you, Sir. I never thought about that. Glad it occured to someone. I would also be interested in what kind of "information" they are passing out about Bushmaster. Might be [b]LIBELOUS[/b].....

Anyone who is in the market to buy a new AR-15 type firearm, please give [b]SERIOUS[/b] consideration to a nice Bushmaster. They will surely be under siege from all sides if the two men arrested are the sniper team.....

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
good job jrzy

Damn.......I didn't think of that either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]
heheheheh
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep us informed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Finally the pro gun side is fighting back with law suits.  Lord knows the anti's have been hurling lawsuits all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Finally the pro gun side is fighting back with law suits.  Lord knows the anti's have been hurling lawsuits all over the place.
View Quote

Well, at the start of this shit the authorities tossed out that the rifle used could be an Armalite AR-180.

As an Armalite AR-180B owner I was then discriminated against and mocked by others due to that profiling.

Who do I sue?

Seriously guys. Could be fun. We history majors have a lot of free time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what I'm talkin' about guys!!!

Take the offensive, and we [i]will[/i] make it out the other side!

Jrzy...  [beer]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
As the guy who started the thread and posted that link, all I've got to say is "why didn't I think of that?"

Good job!  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
My thoughts are it's time to take the high ground.[marines]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
jrzy:  You need a cookie!
Or maybe you'd prefer [beer].

Either way, good job!

FOTBR
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone care for a free brochure, care of VPC?

For members of the news
                                                         media, the Violence Policy Center
                                                         has an information kit on
                                                         Bushmaster and its products. To
                                                         obtain the information kit, contact
                                                         VPC Communications Director
                                                         Naomi Seligman at 202-822-8200
                                                         x105.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool idea... hopefully, a six or seven-figure settlement will take some wind out of VPC's sails.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very cool idea... hopefully, a six or seven-figure settlement will take some wind out of VPC's sails.
View Quote

You know the anti's have been running at about half speed because of 9/11 and how it cost them donations ,so if Bushy follows up and I think they will it will cost VPC money for lawyers and then the settlement in the end,it might hurt them just enough to make them a non issue.
Turn about is fair play and they need the lesson.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, (I wish to VPC would get theirs too) but a suit here likely won't get past a complaint and intitial motions.  

The "Fair use" defense would permit attack on this on several different levels: education about firearms; newsworthiness (even though VPC not a news org. the firearms connection to the sniper may be relevant of newsworthiness); strong presumptions for criticism exist; and use by non-profits (assuming VPC is non-profit making and non-commercial) is protected by fair use.  

Many obstacles in this instance where VPC merely showing a photo of a Bushy catalog on their website and not really copying any of Bushy's content or making a profit from it (though profits are not necessarily the sole issue in infringement cases).  

Botton line: VPC likely not an infringer of Bushy's copyrights to their catalog in this instance.  However, there may be some grounds for a business defamation suit depending on what VPC puts out there.  

Hopefully Bushy's attys. are watching carefully now and will pursue any malfeasance by VPC.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.vpc.org/[/url]

The VPC is well financed and have a slick
website. The "One Shot One Kill" article
is a perfect blend of truth, conjecture
and falsehoods as is most of their work
product.
They will not be a pushover, but they need
to be challanged.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool at least they left the phone number visible so people could order Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.vpc.org/bushmaster.htm[/url]
I just got off the phone with Matt at Bushmaster and informed him of the copyright infringement at the violence policy center and he is pissed that they used copyrighted material belonging to Bushmaster for the anti purpose.
He is giving it to "legal" and the PR people as I type this.
View Quote

That was an outstanding heads-up move!  Let's keep thinking "tactically" out there!

The Sniper
[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I noticed that they had a picture of an arab on an article about arabs learning terrorism at US training camps. So I sent an email telling them that I was offended by their portrayal of an ethnic/religous minority as a terrorist.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Good one, I hope they get their ass nailed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey let's all call the number to order a Bushy!
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I noticed that they had a picture of an arab on an article about arabs learning terrorism at US training camps. So I sent an email telling them that I was offended by their portrayal of an ethnic/religous minority as a terrorist.
View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I would concur that VPC's use of the cover page is fair use.  Good thought though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#24]
It doesn't matter if it's fair use or not- BUSHMASTER MUST BE PROACTIVE AND NOT REACTIVE!

They need to take the VPC to court whether they get thrown out or not. It probably is fair use.

We can't sit back and take it. Josh Sugarmann sucks and so does his organization

SO TO ALL WHO SAY NICE TRY BUT IT WONT WORK- sorry Bushmaster must sue. If for no other reason than to show the VPC they won't take it.
CRC
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

SO TO ALL WHO SAY NICE TRY BUT IT WONT WORK- sorry Bushmaster must sue. If for no other reason than to show the VPC they won't take it.
CRC
View Quote

Legal fees are expensive, especially when you have a losing case so a contingency arrangement is not an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top