Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2002 4:23:22 AM EDT
Mornin boys, ………thought I’d get your comments on this.
I have a early 80’s Colt AR-15 A2…bought it new and it is still in 90% plus condition.……..it’s the transition from the A1……..has all the A2 features without the removable carry handle.

I have a bushmaster match upper with fluted barrel that I am going to put on it. The finish on the colt is the deep gray finish and doesn’t match the bushy upper. I was thinking of getting the entire colt refinished to match the bushmaster color scheme. Is there a value to the colt with the original finish other than it being a preban? Does it matter if I refinish it?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd never refinish a weapon such as that!

I'd rather refinish the Bushy upper to match the Colt lower.

But that's just personal preferences.

The value of most weapons to collectors is diminished if the weapons are refinished - not certain that this holds true for ARs, but I would think so.

Eric The(Original)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I agree about not refinishing the lower. I have an old Colt too, which is not really a collectors item probably, but I wouldn't refinish it. I do want to find a factory aluminum stock in good shape though to switch with the scratched up one on it. I wouldn't even worry about that if it were minor scratches, but someone had a cherokee cheek piece on it and apparently used a screwdriver to remove it several times...  argh.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys,
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Although,
it never crossed my mind to change the finish on the upper..........that could be a good option...

Does anyone know who could do the work and be able to match the colt finish?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]
its your rifle. if you are planning on keeping
it then go ahead and make it look good. the
refinish no no really only applies to c&r type
rifles with some history behind them or older
collectable firearms (civil war,old west,etc.)
if an ar15 were blued with a wooden stock then
probably no. just my .02
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
read the post over at assaultweb.net in the ar&m forum about refinishing a colt...then make up your mind.

seems colt isn't doing grey anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
No - they don't do that finish anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you buy it as a collectable?
Keep it original.

Did you buy it to use?
Make it match.

Just my .02 FRN.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#8]
wow!
thats one heck of a story Campybob. Looks like I don't send the upper to colt for a refinish........:-)

Does anyone know who did the colt gray finish work for them,
or for that matter........anyone else that will do the work?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you buy it as an investment or something to drag through the mud and shoot...
If its utilitarian...camo it..
If its a collector..put it in the safe and forget it until you need to sell it
Unfired weapons are more valuable down the line
Dont refinish and dont shoot it...and for goodness sake dont let it get any fingerprints on it...
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]
hehe...actually 9divdoc,
your right............I was just in the mood to do something.......another project......I think I'll just leave it in the safe and forget about it.............maybe its time to send the M14 to Fulton and get a nice rehab done on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top