Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2013 9:54:12 PM EDT
I have been enjoying the savings every month on my pre paid cell phone. half of what I was playing.  So is there such a thing as pre paid internet?
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
does your prepaid cell have 3g or 4g?  if so you could turn your phone into a mobile hotspot and use your phones data for internet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a USB dongle from come company that charges $30/month for 1 gb of data... found this at Smiths. It is serviced by some cellphone company. 1 gb isn't very much though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
BroadbandtoGo from Virgin Mobil
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a USB dongle from come company that charges $30/month for 1 gb of data... found this at Smiths. It is serviced by some cellphone company. 1 gb isn't very much though.

I agree.  1GB won't last very long at all, and if you use the internet with any regularity, $30/1GB will quickly get very expensive.

There's 3 people on my cell account, and we have 4GB to share per month.  We never go over, but if my phone was my only source of internet, 4GB would be gone in a day.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been enjoying the savings every month on my pre paid cell phone. half of what I was playing.  So is there such a thing as pre paid internet?

When you say "pre paid internet", are you talking about a home cable/dsl/fiber connection OR are you talking about the data connection on your phone?

EDIT: You can rig up a cellphone pay-as-you-go internet connection (3G, 4G, etc.) to a desktop computer or laptop, but the costs for most users would be insane. The video game I downloaded last night would have been $300 in bandwidth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
wouldent even bother looking into it it sounds like a money pit to me
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]
android prepaid phones rule for this reason. i pay $35/month for unlimited text/web/data.  i turn my phone into a hotspot and boom im on the internet with my laptop.  i get 3 gigs at high speed then they drop it down some . but its never extra $

there are alot of free apps for android to do this. so dont pay for one.

i just dont leave it hooked up to the connection 24/7.

it is fast enough to run my Wii with netflix.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes.

Unlimited 4g hotspot. Virgin Mobile. Prepaid

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/mobile-broadband/broadband-2-go/sierra-overdrive-pro/features/
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]

What is the preferred pre-paid cell?

I been out of country for few years and plan to hook up when I am back later in the year.  Any where else in the world pick up a SIM and re-charge at any 7/11 or whatever in and out shop all day long.

We are such suckers in US to obligate ourselves to pay $100+ per month forever whether we use it or not.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you say "pre paid internet", are you talking about a home cable/dsl/fiber connection OR are you talking about the data connection on your phone?

EDIT: You can rig up a cellphone pay-as-you-go internet connection (3G, 4G, etc.) to a desktop computer or laptop, but the costs for most users would be insane. The video game I downloaded last night would have been $300 in bandwidth.

sorry, i should have been more clear. i am speaking of home internet and not wireless.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#12]
T-Mobile does prepaid data, but the rates are so exorbitant that I'm not even tempted.

I do have a "Smart" phone, but it's hobbled by not having cellular data access.  I have to find a free wifi connection if I want to get on the Interwebz.

This is annoying at times, since the phone's navigation feature is heavily dependent on having a data connection.  Obviously it has to be connected to the Internet to find restaurants and download satellite imagery, but there's more going on than that: it seems to take a REALLY long time to find its own position if it doesn't have a network connection.

This means my phone doesn't have a real GPS chipset - rather, some sort of ersatz GPS that needs a cellular data hookup to work properly.  Maybe most smartphones are this way, I don't know.

It's annoying enough that I'm considering buying a standalone GPS unit, just for navigation.  It would pay for itself quickly vs. a few months of having a cellular data plan.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry, i should have been more clear. i am speaking of home internet and not wireless.  

Ok. Most of the people in this thread are talking about using a wireless service as a home internet solution.

I've never heard of a pay-as-you-go home broadband connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top